Jump to content
pipedreams

Gas Prices

Recommended Posts

all new vehicles already have tattlers  ,  when we bought our sorrento  new in 2014   i found that out later . little black box . records average speed ,  braking , miles ,   and in accident can tell if speeding ,   or hit the brakes or not . all kinds of ****  , i wanted it removed and looked into myself but no go , 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/komando/2014/12/26/keep-your-car-black-box-private/20609035/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

id like to see 1.98    last look today was 240  .   in upper Raleigh  2.83

 

 

Tom ,  do me a favor ?  get to working on those roads in  PA  ,  ive drove alot of states   but damn  they gotta be some of the roughest roads in the country .  

Edited by ASH
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ASH said:

all new vehicles already have tattlers  ,  when we bought our sorrento  new in 2014   i found that out later . little black box . records average speed ,  braking , miles ,   and in accident can tell if speeding ,   or hit the brakes or not . all kinds of ****  , i wanted it removed and looked into myself but no go , 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/komando/2014/12/26/keep-your-car-black-box-private/20609035/

Couple of years ago I got T boned.  My wife went to the hospital for examination and while there at 10 PM, I called my insurance company.  He asked how bad the damages were.  I had much autobody experience, so I told him it was totaled.  He said that he doubted it was...……..(pause in the phone call)  Then he said wait a minute.  He came back and said that the data said it was bad enough to be totaled.

I had no satellite phone service for the car yet it reported the acceleration figures to the insurance company.

On one of my newer cars, there is a screen that comes up when you start the car asking if you will give permission for the car to collect data and send it to the manufacture.  I deny permission, but it says that some data will be sent regardless.

So I don't doubt that many people are looking at your driving characteristics with or without your permission.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, janice6 said:

Couple of years ago I got T boned.  My wife went to the hospital for examination and while there at 10 PM, I called my insurance company.  He asked how bad the damages were.  I had much autobody experience, so I told him it was totaled.  He said that he doubted it was...……..(pause in the phone call)  Then he said wait a minute.  He came back and said that the data said it was bad enough to be totaled.

I had no satellite phone service for the car yet it reported the acceleration figures to the insurance company.

On one of my newer cars, there is a screen that comes up when you start the car asking if you will give permission for the car to collect data and send it to the manufacture.  I deny permission, but it says that some data will be sent regardless.

So I don't doubt that many people are looking at your driving characteristics with or without your permission.

Well, THAT makes me feel better...

Any idea how it communicates to the mothership?

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Well, THAT makes me feel better...

Any idea how it communicates to the mothership?

My guess is that it is already equipped with the hardware to handle a subscribed phone service (either cell or satellite).  Even if you don't subscribe, the ability to communicate is still there.  It may be this function that is used by accelerometer data to notify someone of an event.

Most cars have Bluetooth but in my one case I posted about, I was not using Bluetooth.  However my cell phone was on at the time.

Most cars now days also have satellite radio available if you subscribe to it, so again, there is hardware that may communicate.

I have a navigation feature that I believe many have in their car.  However on my navigation screen their is a symbol of a headset.  The manual says the if you are in dire striates, and need help quick, press this symbol and communicate your problem to the responders.  This exists and is not an option, although it may come with the Navigation package.

I have no idea which of the possibilities this utilizes, Cell or Satellite communications.

But I do know that this is a manufacturer provided option and I have no option available to turn it off.  It's my car, but I don't have  control over all it's functions...……..………..  Isn't that interesting...……………….

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once the feckless politicians receive their bags of cash from China and allow Huawei to build the country's 5G network, the Chinese will know every move you make.

And then, stop you from making them.

The commercials for monitoring your driving from insurance companies  that promise to save you money amuse me to no end.

They ain't doing it to save you money, Bunky.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have even seen commercials from companies that will send you literature free, telling you why you should buy annuities from them and not the other guys.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I have a structured settlement and I need cash now. I wonder if there is a company out there that can help me?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eric said:

Well, I have a structured settlement and I need cash now. I wonder if there is a company out there that can help me?

I’m sure there is. How desperate are you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

I’m sure there is. How desperate are you?


 

:biggrin:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2020 at 11:21 AM, janice6 said:

True.  The drive to increase taxes because they could, would be too strong for Democrats to resist.  They think taxes are free money,m and they want all the free money they can get from you.

Here in WA. our fuel tax is about to increase by 57 cents thanks to our DemocRat governor. 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gas around here goes up $.20 if I drive 15 minutes North East, and down $.30 if I drive 30 minutes West.  So a .$.50/gal price difference for a a 45 minute drive, all in the same state (but not the same county).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my travels, and all the discussions here about gas prices, it struck me that the elimination of "cut rate gas stations" has all but eliminated the variations in gas prices. 

I mean large variations within say 100 miles.  My memories of my last year of work was that I paid essentially the same price for gas all over.  I'm excepting CA cause they are in another dimension on taxes.

Competition couldn't hold up against corporation money.  The control over prices is remarkable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, janice6 said:

In my travels, and all the discussions here about gas prices, it struck me that the elimination of "cut rate gas stations" has all but eliminated the variations in gas prices. 

I mean large variations within say 100 miles.  My memories of my last year of work was that I paid essentially the same price for gas all over.  I'm excepting CA cause they are in another dimension on taxes.

Competition couldn't hold up against corporation money.  The control over prices is remarkable.

But price fixing is against the law...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

But price fixing is against the law...

Yeah!  Isn't it!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was talking with the manager of a convenience store gas station once. He said that two, three, or four stations at an intersection try to be virtually identical in gasoline prices - especially the advertised “regular” grade. Their profit is mostly in the drinks and snacks and the fuel is the draw. 
 

Fuel price too high, nobody stops thus no drinks and snacks sold. 
 

Fuel price too low, you sell out then nobody stops...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Was talking with the manager of a convenience store gas station once. He said that two, three, or four stations at an intersection try to be virtually identical in gasoline prices - especially the advertised “regular” grade. Their profit is mostly in the drinks and snacks and the fuel is the draw. 
 

Fuel price too high, nobody stops thus no drinks and snacks sold. 
 

Fuel price too low, you sell out then nobody stops...

What if you set fire to the storage tanks of the other three guys one night?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2020 at 11:26 PM, ASH said:

id like to see 1.98    last look today was 240  .   in upper Raleigh  2.83

 

 

Tom ,  do me a favor ?  get to working on those roads in  PA  ,  ive drove alot of states   but damn  they gotta be some of the roughest roads in the country .  

Nothing I can do. I try to straddle the pot holes. tom. :cowboy2:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Fuel price too high, nobody stops thus no drinks and snacks sold.

And make sure that the receipt dispenser on the pump is always empty,  so everyone has to go into the store.....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...