Silencers/Suppressors

railfancwb

Suppose a person has a silencer and wants to sell it for whatever reason. How does one go about this? Carry it into a dealer licensed to deal in silencers and ask “Whatcha give me for this?” The cash received in such a transaction might be what - 25%, 33%, 50% of current retail of the unit or an equivalent?

As a practical matter is it even possible for a legal owner of a silencer to legally transfer it to another individual without going through a licensed dealer? I know the would be new owner would need the same application and tax payment process that the seller went through.  

I recognize that the $200 tax stamp is not a factor in what the old silencer might bring. Have heard that such tax stamps have value to some collectors of USA stamps, but don’t know whether the old forms have to go to the dealer with the old silencer. Not what the value  To a stamp collector might be. 

• Like 2

For you to sell it yourself the buyer would need to be in the same state, just like a gun if the can crosses state lines a dealer needs to be involved. This makes the sale harder, because who is going to buy a can sight unseen, you have no idea about baffle strikes etc. It would have to be a smoking deal. In my area a dealer would charge $75 to $100 depending on the dealer to do the transfer, then add the stamp cost and that is why I mentioned the cost of the can would have to be low. I've looked into buying used but have never found a deal worth doing. 

If you have it in a trust and that is all that is in that trust you can just add the buyer to the trust while waiting for their stamp to arrive if you are comfortable (you know the buyer) doing that.

Here is a small article to get you started.

https://www.silencershop.com/blog/post/sell-silencer

• Like 2