Seven Days in Entebbe - anyone seen it?

SC Tiger

I've been wanting to check out this movie for a while on Amazon.  It's about the hostage taking of a flight full of Israeli citizens and the subsequent rescue from Uganda.  Anyone seen it?  Is it any good?

Loved one exchange from the preview

"You want to invade Uganda?"

"We will give it back to them when we leave."

This was the operation that showed the world that you don't fvck with Israel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rellik said:

Isn't this the action were bibi netanyu lost his bother?  

Yes.  Was the only Israeli casualty.  Yoni Netanyahu.  They call this "Yoni's war" now in his memory. (how badass is that BTW).

From what I have read on it, the actual operation was brilliant.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SC Tiger said:

Yes.  Was the only Israeli casualty.  Yoni Netanyahu.  They call this "Yoni's war" now in his memory. (how badass is that BTW).

From what I have read on it, the actual operation was brilliant.

There was a woman in a hospital too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rellik said:

There was a woman in a hospital too.  

Didn't know that but meant (and should have said) only casualty among the actual operators.  Two hostages were killed accidentally by the Israelis - one who stood up and was mistaken for a terrorist, and the other I'm not sure.  Ten more were wounded.

The woman at the hospital was murdered as retaliation.  

Personally, if I'm Israel I'd have sent Idi Amin a present for that...........

hqdefault.jpg

Or whatever they had in the 1980s that was equivalent.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1

Uncle idi was content to stay within his borders and slaughter his own.  Not much a threat to others.  (Great line from The Dogs of War)

Cruise Missiles were fairly new at the time.  Clinton was blowing up "baby milk"  factories ten years after.   The high tech stuff was still on the board.  

Edited by Rellik
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rellik said:

Uncle idi was content to stay within his borders and slaughter his own.  Not much a threat to others.  (Great line from The Dogs of War)

Cruise Missiles were fairly new at the time.  Clinton was blowing up "baby milk"  factories ten years after.   The high tech stuff was still on the board.  

True - precision strikes weren't as "precision" as we'd like to think.  I think on one of Clinton's cruise missile launches, they had 7 misses out of 21 launches.

And getting "an asset" into a country to "neutralize" a "threat" can be "a hell of a lot harder than the movies make it look."  Even a third-world toilet.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

I can't imagine a way to rescue those hostages without sending human commandos. I think the operation as performed by the Israelis was about as perfect as could have been done.

Definitely.  I was thinking about how to splatter Idi Amin after the fact.  'Cause he needed a-splatterin'

Damn operation was near perfection.  There were some screwups - they lost tactical surprise by killing two guard with an unsuppressed rifle - but they did very, very well.

They also blew up something like 11 Ugandan MiGs as a final "Fvck You" to Uganda.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you are referring to the most recent version, I hated it.  It is a great story, but the director hosed it with that stupid dance stuff mixed into the action.  I never figured that out.  The 70's version was good, but somewhat of a low budget production.  It is a story that deserves to be done really well, but with that dance crap it was more like a sidewalk in San Francisco.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, PPQer said:

If you are referring to the most recent version, I hated it.  It is a great story, but the director hosed it with that stupid dance stuff mixed into the action.  I never figured that out.  The 70's version was good, but somewhat of a low budget production.  It is a story that deserves to be done really well, but with that dance crap it was more like a sidewalk in San Francisco.

It involving Israel as the good guys makes it a tough sell in today's Hollywood.  

"Delta Force" was partially based off of it, but obviously changed the nationality of the good guys.  And added the closest thing we have to an actual superhero in real life:

220px-Chuck_Norris,_The_Delta_Force_1986

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

Definitely.  I was thinking about how to splatter Idi Amin after the fact.  'Cause he needed a-splatterin'

Damn operation was near perfection.  There were some screwups - they lost tactical surprise by killing two guard with an unsuppressed rifle - but they did very, very well.

They also blew up something like 11 Ugandan MiGs as a final "Fvck You" to Uganda.

I always thought it was Eichmann.  That was the one that made people think twice.

Operation Wrath of God was solid...until a mistake was made.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fnfalman said:

I watched the movie. It was okay. Trying to humanize the German terrorist was a bit much. 

That's what I was wondering.  Would they try to make the terrorists "misunderstood" rather than evil sumbitches that needed to die?

'Cuz they was evil sumbitches that needed to die.  

Should have dirt napped Idi Amin while they were there, but that probably would have increased the risk of the rescue operation too much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SC Tiger said:

That's what I was wondering.  Would they try to make the terrorists "misunderstood" rather than evil sumbitches that needed to die?

Should have dirt napped Idi Amin while they were there, but that probably would have increased the risk of the rescue operation too much.

The chick character was total evil. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

I haven't seen it, but I think that even evil sumbitches are complicated individuals who get where they wind up by a tortuous path. If the movie develops an evil character it's more interesting, IMO. Hans Gruber probably wasn't born bad.

16 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

In reality she was supposedly even worse.

Early 80's profilers (red army brigade, bader meinhoff, red army faction, et al) opined that the girls feeling the pressure of operating in a man's game, acted tougher, and more vicious to show they were the equal of the men, maybe even meaner.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

I haven't seen it, but I think that even evil sumbitches are complicated individuals who get where they wind up by a tortuous path. If the movie develops an evil character it's more interesting, IMO. Hans Gruber probably wasn't born bad.

I'm thinking where they try to justify the actions of a terrorist.  Supposedly that's what they did to some extent in "Munich" - though I haven't seen that movie.

I get it - their life sucked and they want to do something about it.  But all the good guys can do is deal with the person as they stand now.  How they got there is their problem.

(not directed at you - just ranting a bit).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1