eagle 1 duck 0

ASH

Tim, we've had them here as long as I can remember, going back to the 1970s. I can think of 3 local nesting pairs, and there's a nesting pair at Kennedy Space Center, too. I'm surprised we have any Muscovy ducks left, with all the eagles, ospreys, and hawks around here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, railfancwb said:

If they would work in teams and develop a taste for LARGE snakes...

From some of the descriptions of the snakes in the Florida swamps, I would like a full auto.

That would take a lot of birds in a highly coordinated attack.  But, if...….. I would love to watch the action.

they are all over north carolina  mate.  jordan lake  have several nest with cameras in the nest to watch 24.7  . i have not seen one here in middle of state but my wife has pictures of one in front of our driveway at the man road eatingon a deer

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

From some of the descriptions of the snakes in the Florida swamps, I would like a full auto.

That would take a lot of birds in a highly coordinated attack.  But, if...….. I would love to watch the action.

So, the question before us is: how many eagles does it take to lift a 300 pound (136 kilogram) reticulated, Florida python?

Lemme get my slide rule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tous said:

So, the question before us is: how many eagles does it take to lift a 300 pound (136 kilogram) reticulated, Florida python?

Lemme get my slide rule.

Don't forget that this is a "lift and drag" problem.  If they can't lift it, they can the drag it!

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, tous said:

Lemme get my slide rule.

I sure hope there isn't a breeding population of reticulated pythons down in the Glades. The Burmese are bad enough. Retics can be downright irritable compared to the burms, and we've all seen video of those idiots down there rasslin Burmese pythons for a tv show. I'm afraid the pythons are there to stay- it's gonna be about management instead of eradication.

I can see where an eagle might find a 3-5 footer to be a tasty snack, but bigger than that- my money is on the snake.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have already factored in the aerodynamic characteristics of a reticulated python in fllght; both alive and wriggilng and dead and drooping.

Eagles wouldn't drag prey along the ground if they can fly it.

Too many hungry eyes wanting eagle supper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I betcha Eric knows how many eagles it would take to lift and fly off with a reticulated pyhton without even using a slide rule.

The best estimate, given that an adult eagle can lift and fly around five pounds, is that it will take a minimum of 60 eagles.

Sneks should be wary of eagles in large groups; or tadbarts by himself.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tous said:

I betcha Eric knows how many eagles it would take to lift and fly off with a reticulated pyhton without even using a slide rule.

The best estimate, given that an adult eagle can lift and fly around five pounds, is that it will take a minimum of 60 eagles.

Sneks should be wary of eagles in large groups; or tadbarts by himself.

I once saw a hawk dive down into a field and take off with a huge snake.  It was waaaay up there, when he lost it.  I thought, "Too bad, dude!"

Then I read that they'll drop things on purpose,  rather than getting hurt battling with it.

From the way the snake was spinning and gyrating, all the way down,  it knew what was coming.  Bam.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tadbart said:

I sure hope there isn't a breeding population of reticulated pythons down in the Glades. The Burmese are bad enough. Retics can be downright irritable compared to the burms, and we've all seen video of those idiots down there rasslin Burmese pythons for a tv show. I'm afraid the pythons are there to stay- it's gonna be about management instead of eradication.

I can see where an eagle might find a 3-5 footer to be a tasty snack, but bigger than that- my money is on the snake.

There are huge sneks in Florida because SuperAmerica wants big sneks in Florida.

:shakefist:

• Like 1