Mass shooting in las vegas

Batesmotel

40 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

I listened to the chattering classes on NPR this morning. After explaining the details of bump-fire they went into the controversy of whether this could be considered pre-meditated murder on Paddock's part.

Yeah, I understand the confusion.  He might have chosen a room, moved a dozen suitcases full of ammunition, magazines, and rifles up there, specifically positioned himself overlooking a concert venue, picked out two windows that were at a 90 degree angle from one another for two firing points, mounted bipods for stability, set up surveillance cameras in the hallway outside the room, assembled all the weapons, prevented housekeeping from entering for days, and obtained a hammer to smash out two windows to shoot through all on the spur of the moment.

Well, sadly, this incident should (you'd think) shut up those who claim the 5.56 round is an "ineffective round" ... just look what it did to people who were 400-500 yards away. High velocity bullets hitting human beings do horrible things inside the human body.

6 hours ago, JJHNSN said:

Well, sadly, this incident should (you'd think) shut up those who claim the 5.56 round is an "ineffective round" ... just look what it did to people who were 400-500 yards away. High velocity bullets hitting human beings do horrible things inside the human body.

I'm a believer in 5.56 lethality, but one of the guns laying there looked like a .308 to me. Time will tell what killed the victims. 

12 hours ago, JJHNSN said:

This is what you came away with from this incident? What you found to be important? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sensitivity and compassion for the victims of this tragic mass shooting one would think is an appropriate reaction, hardly a snowflake concept.  Making any comment on the resulting ballistics of a round chosen by the coward to kill and injure innocents is crass at best.  

P.S. The guy flipping off the shooter is a boss!!

• Like 1

This is a GUN FORUM. There is nothing disrespectful or insensitive about discussing the ballistic property of the 5.56 and the devastation it caused at 400-500 yards during this incident.

image.png.e7c2fddd107fa4afd5ef1bb22ef27bad.png

Edited by JJHNSN

3 minutes ago, JJHNSN said:

This is a GUN FORUM. There is nothing disrespectful or insensitive about discussing the ballistic property of the 5.56 and the devastation it caused at 400-500 yards during this incident. We do have a few snowflakes around here.

yes the 5.56 round will likely kill on a torso shot without immediate medical care to stop the blood loss, and shock setting in.

also hitting major blood vessels/ arteries in an arm or a leg can also result in death if blood flow is not stopped.

1 hour ago, CalmerThanYou said:

Sensitivity and compassion for the victims of this tragic mass shooting one would think is an appropriate reaction, hardly a snowflake concept.  Making any comment on the resulting ballistics of a round chosen by the coward to kill and injure innocents is crass at best.  

No, it's really not. 

12 minutes ago, JJHNSN said:

This is a GUN FORUM. There is nothing disrespectful or insensitive about discussing the ballistic property of the 5.56 and the devastation it caused at 400-500 yards during this incident.

image.png.e7c2fddd107fa4afd5ef1bb22ef27bad.png

Yup, you nailed it....Helluva round. Now we just need to get our military to switch all there positions to hilltops and rooftops to take full advantage of the AR's capabilities. Maybe we could bring back a dirigible core, I would imagine firing straight down from hot air balloons would extend the maximum effective range quite a bit.

11 minutes ago, Mayhem like me said:

yes the 5.56 round will likely kill on a torso shot without immediate medical care to stop the blood loss, and shock setting in.

also hitting major blood vessels/ arteries in an arm or a leg can also result in death if blood flow is not stopped.

The other factor is the traumatic effect of the bullet splintering upon entering the body...something which the .223 Remington was designed to do. My point simply is that when the "experts" on gun forums declare the 5.56 round, all we have to do now is say, "Don't say that to any of the hundreds of people wounded by it in Las Vegas, not to mention the deaths."