Mass shooting in las vegas

Batesmotel

My guess--just a guess--is black supremacist or black nationalist.  Those terms will not be used by the media, even if it's the case.  Again, just my guess not based on any evidence beyond what we've all seen so far.

ETA:  ***This guess was way off.***

Edited by fortyofforty

My guess--just a guess--is black supremacist or black nationalist.  Those terms will not be used by the media, even if it's the case.  Again, just my guess not based on any evidence beyond what we've all seen so far.

Here's the guy they've identified.

bc970528fcbe9ec0f0c327ec2b7f2858.jpg

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/nevada-sheriff-identifies-las-vegas-resident-stephen-paddock-50226602

2 hours ago, fortyofforty said:

That was way off.  Still waiting for a motive.

• Thanks 1

"Paddock, 64, lived in Mesquite, Nevada. He has a criminal history and was known by local police."

"Paddock is reported to have lived in a retirement village in Mesquite, Nevada, since June 2016 and is believed to have been born on April 9, 1953."

"It is claimed he previously lived in Reno, Nevada, from 2011 to 2016, and also had an address in Melbourne, Florida, from 2013 to 2015.

He has also lived in Henderson, Nevada, and several locations in California since 1990, it is reported."

"Officers were initially seeking his travelling companion - Marilou Danley - who has now been located. She is believed to have been his roommate."

d17de1a07a8ccf0e6d7928822d4922d5

"Police said Danley, 62, lived with Paddock in Mesquite. She is reportedly an Australian citizen.

According to The Australian newspaper, Danley, who has been located by police, is an Australian passport holder and may be of Indonesian descent. "

`However, authorities in Australia have not yet confirmed that she is Australian.`

https://www.yahoo.com/news/stephen-paddock-mandalay-bay-attacker-114221906.html

Well, damn. My guess is that in the days that follow we are going to learn that a lot of people knew this person was unstable and were either unwilling or unable to do anything about it.

Edited by Geko45

4 hours ago, fortyofforty said:

Based on the audio, it almost sounds to me like they weren't traditional fully automatic weapons.  The cadence of firing sounds like it varies.  I wonder if he wasn't using those hand-cranked mechanisms.

I've listened to several recordings and it is hard to say with the echoes, but it did/does not sound to me like either a genuinely full auto AR or AK. I suspect a bumpfire device on an AK with drum magazines in place. The length of the burst sounds to me like a drum magazine on an AK, sure sounds like nearly a 75 round sustained burst, maybe AR, with a drum magazine. Maybe both. The pauses between strings of fire could be him simply reaching for a another preloaded rifle with a drum magazine ready to go.

The range from the window to the crowd was 300-400 yards and the area was densely packed with people, shoulder-to-shoulder. Spraying the crowd with sustained bursts like that, it's no wonder he took out as many people as he did, no doubt, many hit from bullets passing through other victims.

What a horrible situation.

The gun-control nuts are already at full volume.

If he was using slide fire devices....I won't doubt those will be on the chopping block.

Edited by JJHNSN