Big Red

Eric

3 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

and we`re all still waiting on DOT to Increase the Payloads for Highway travel......

I don't believe it was all that long ago my state finally permitted tandem trailers. 

I used to talk with a ham UPS guy that drove them from South of town, into my town.  He had some harrowing tales of driving on icy highways in nighttime..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, railfancwb said:

I learned to use one, but had trouble keeping track of where the decimal point should be. 

Maybe that is why I ended up an accountant 

Everybody had trouble keeping track of where the decimal point should be.

:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tous said:

Everybody had trouble keeping track of where the decimal point should be.

:biggrin:

This was the subject of one of my early physics classes.  The calculation was for the Capacitance of the Earth to the rest of the Universe.

It was funny because the class had little experience with units of Capacitance, and the significant digits were the same but the order of magnitude was all over from GigaFarads to PicoFarads.

The lecture then devolved into what sounds reasonable!

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, blueiron said:

I still have a K&E Log Log Deci-Trig. I actually took it to a spherical trig class and the Prof was so delighted, he spent the entire class time showing us how to solve navigation problems on it.

I spent days trying to plot a torpedo in some class in college that was not interesting.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, blueiron said:

I still have a K&E Log Log Deci-Trig. I actually took it to a spherical trig class and the Prof was so delighted, he spent the entire class time showing us how to solve navigation problems on it.

It's like the Crystal radios.  No batteries needed!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, janice6 said:

I don't believe it was all that long ago my state finally permitted tandem trailers. 

I used to talk with a ham UPS guy that drove them from South of town, into my town.  He had some harrowing tales of driving on icy highways in nighttime..

Don’t they run three up in Nevada and some other western states?

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

The Aussies run some serious multiple trailer rigs, or trailer trains. Most are in empty lands, and often hawking extracted raw materials. 

5DDB9F2F-420E-4901-B830-31DE0D4A2AE1.jpeg

07704EE8-C6E5-4D1F-9761-CCACB4EE1026.jpeg

33F43CB8-C752-49D2-AEDA-75D4B163BC60.jpeg

Almost looks like a movie if you combined Maximum Overdrive with The Human Centipede.  :D

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, norton said:

iirc, Jay Leno in his Leno's Garage you tube series has a turbine powered car. 

Chrysler had a serious effort to develop a Gas turbine car.  They could never solve the problem of the high temperature exhaust.  the gas prices started going up and they gave up. 

The most interesting car to me was a custom that had an aircraft rotary engine in it.  I guess the output was tremendous for it's time.

Edited by janice6