Big Red

Eric

2 hours ago, Eric said:

The narrator sounds a bit like Jack Webb. 

We hear from the Transportation experts demonstrating that they are wrong again.

When "experts say", the first thing you should think of is just how often they are/were wrong.

Good judgement coupled with a degree of  logic and skepticism, is more often more accurate than "experts".

Experts don't actually know these things to be true, they are just trying to convince YOU that they are true.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maser said:

A turbine tractor-trailer huh?  Bad enough engine brakes are obnoxious sounding as it is let alone an engine that sounds like a giant vacuum cleaner. 

Be interesting if it is a marketing success. Union Pacific had a bunch - fifty or so - turbine locomotives. 4500-10000 horsepower. Powered wheels electrically. Increasing price of the oil refining residual they were burning ended them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Historian said:

Totally hard core.  That was when they all wore white jackets.

In my era, the epitome of engineering dress was, Black or dark Blue dress pants, jacket, and tie.  Always a White shirt which necessitated the infamous pocket protector. Narrow tie was cool.

If you were dressed to impress, you topped it off with a solid black briefcase, which usually contained your lunch. 

In the case of my company, the lunch was also accompanied by a selection of slot cars and support tooling for the lunch hour at the local slot car track.

The engineering in those cars was second to none!

So I'm told...………...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Maser said:

If you ever want free entertainment at the expense of a millennial, ask me to try and figure out how to use a slide rule.  ?

My big enlightenment was when I found out how to use an Abacus.  If you used a slide rule the Abacus was second nature.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Maser said:

If you ever want free entertainment at the expense of a millennial, ask me to try and figure out how to use a slide rule.  ?

tous can teach you

he has dozens.....and some in holsters for quick reference

Edited by Dric902
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Maser said:

I learned to use one, but had trouble keeping track of where the decimal point should be. 

Maybe that is why I ended up an accountant 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Dric902 said:

And they did it with a slide rule and paper

Actually, the video mentioned that the truck was designed on computers. That must have been quite a production, back then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

They needed the truck to haul the computer

When I was in college, we compiled our RPGIII and COBOL programs on an IBM System 36 Mini computer. It was only properly considered a 'mini', when it was sitting beside a mainframe computer. That thing was about thirty inches wide, four feet or so long and almost five feet high. That thing was a Buick. There was very little internal storage and no operating system. Every program that was run on it needed a little script, written in JCL or OCL, to tell the Sys 36 to take this program, that data, use these resources to run it and place the output there. It was basic as hell.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eric said:

When I was in college, we compiled our RPGIII and COBOL programs on an IBM System 36 Mini computer. It was only properly considered a 'mini', when it was sitting beside a mainframe computer. That thing was about thirty inches wide, four feet or so long and almost five feet high. That thing was a Buick. There was very little internal storage and no operating system. Every program that was run on it needed a little script, written in JCL or OCL, to tell the Sys 36 to take this program, that data, use these resources to run it and place the output there. It was basic as hell.

Probably had 8 megabits of fast action RAM

• Like 3