What's you favorite weapons lubricant?

fortyofforty

On 10/20/2017 at 5:44 PM, pipedreams said:

Mobil One is pretty popular in some circles. 

You can get enough out of an empty container to last a long time.

I also like Mobil 1 in 15W50 weight.  Bought a quart several years ago with no expiration date!  Guess I'll have to drank the rest down, empty the can and get another quart.

It's cheap, lasts forever and clings to gun oil rags like magic with very slow evaporation.

I wipe everything metal down with the stuff.  Never an issue.  Excellent on knives too.

But, I still use the old stand by "Hoppe's No. 9" for cleaning.

Mobil 1 makes me and my "Red Ryder" BB gun happy. 

Do have to admit I use a little Wilson Combat "Ultima-Lube" in hard to get to places.  It has a long pointed nozzle to lube the deep dark places in my "Red Ryder" 100 Rd Lever-Matic.

Edited by Frizzen
  • Like 2

I prefer to lubricate my guns with Liberal Tears.

Though during the Obama administration when they were not crying so much I preferred to use Automatic Transmission Fluid. Grant Cunningham turned me onto it, the stuff works great unless its a carry gun, or going to sit in the safe for awhile, then the stuff just runs right out of the gun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2018 at 9:50 PM, janice6 said:

I am obsessive about cleaning my old Kimber Classic Stainless II.  I shoot Wolf steel case in it and it is dirty ammo, but cheap.   I spend loving time cleaning it and it always performs flawlessly.  Cleanliness is next to Godliness!  Even in weapons of war.

I have a good Ultrasonic cleaner but nothing replaces the minute inspection of each and every little cranny when I clean it by hand.

What ultrasonics cleaner? Can you drop the whole gun in? 

5 hours ago, Moeman said:

What ultrasonics cleaner? Can you drop the whole gun in? 

Yes.  It is a large one from Harbor Freight.  It works alright but I used it for a while and decided that I examine the firearm more closely when I dissemble it and clean it by hand.  I am this way about all my tools.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Lube is red synthetic grease for most of my actions.

Ballistol for wiping down exterior of my finely blued finishes.

Some of my guns just get put away slightly dirty, with lube that was applied the previous time I paid attention to them.  My M1A comes to mind here.  And my Duty AR.

And my revolvers are almost totally free of LUBE.  Although I do wax or oil the exteriors.

Edited by nitesite

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:12 AM, t4terrific said:

Weapons of war? People who want to ban guns call them weapons of war.

I should have added, I called the 1911 that, because it is a venerable firearm and well worth being called one of the finest, " Weapons of War".  I'm sure the guys issued them appreciated their reliability.

• Like 1

Depending on the gun, I use one of the following: Frog Lube, Militec 1 or Ballistol which is mainly for BP guns.  For grease I use Umbrella Corp. AeroShell 33MS/64 - also used for AR builds. 

Of course, I keep a bottle of Hoppes #9 around just to sniff once in a while. My grandfather was seriously into guns and always used Hoppes for cleaning.  I shot my first .22 revolver at the age of 4.  He held me on his lap and had to help me hold the gun too.