What's you favorite weapons lubricant?

fortyofforty

Several years ago I was in the (un)enviable position of being able to evaluate and select cleaning and lubricating supplies for several dozen shooters.  I purchased a bunch from common synthetic blend motor oil (free, actually, a leftover bottle) to Rem Oil, BreakFree CLP, Militec, Mobil 1, NYOil, FP-10, G96, MGL, Brownell's, Hoppe's and a bunch more.  I never noticed much difference.  I suppose it is a testament to the quality of current firearms.  GLOCKs spoil us.  They work.  I've run them with zero lubrication, and they run.  It's wonderful to have so many choices.  It's likely not something to overthink.  Buy one you like, and stick with it.

Edited by fortyofforty
  • Like 2

I have used Ballistol for years. I hate the smell when it’s wet but once it dries, to me it smells like black licorice.

On a side note. My BIL has a gen 3 Glock 19 that has never been cleaned and/or lubed since he bought it brand new. He has over 5,000 rounds through it. He’s doing it on purpose to prove they run forever even while dirty.

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:00 PM, fortyofforty said:

Perhaps you misunderstood my statement of fact--that Hoppe's #9 is a solvent and not a lubricant--with an effort to talk you into or out of something.  I don't care what you use.  You can use warm spit for all I care.  I merely stated my own reasoning for what I prefer to do.  Thanks for sharing what you use, and I'll continue to state facts so that people reading these boards can actually learn something.

Along this same lines, someone mentioned that he used WD-40 as a lube. WD 40 id mostly a penetrating oil and noy as machine oil and has very low viscosity and does nothing to prevent wear.  Hoppes #9 is a good solvent and I've always liked how it smells but it isn't a lubricant.

The last Lube I bought was M-Pro 7 LPX and I've been happy with it. I've used breakfree  CLP and I like the smell of that, too, but I think that it might be good to add a thicker viscosity oil to the moving parts after doing an overall cleaning with any kind of CLP.

Synthetic oils in general are better than petroleum based oils but I think that synthetic motor oil is thicker than what you want for a gin oil and can attract dirt and grit. I used to know a gunsmith who bought Sperm whale oil on the black market from Japan and swore that it was the perfect light machine oil and used it on guns.

If I remember correctly, at a GLOCK Armorer's course, we were taught that GLOCK was fine with using any products designed for weapons use, for cleaning and lubrication.  I've used plenty, and have pushed the envelope.  We are truly fortunate that, with modern firearms led by GLOCK, the specific product is virtually irrelevant.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2018 at 11:57 AM, janice6 said:

I found that too much oil collects dirt, grime and lint.  Growing up we only thought of cleaning a gun sparodically, and then it got oiled, sparingly.  I personally, have never had a firearm fail from too little oil.  Failure was always related to ammo.  I had limited numbers of firearms and so did my friends.  There may be some types of firearms that require lots of oil that I don't know about.

My handguns get "light machine oil" and the emphasis is on light with the watchword for application being "sparingly". 

It sounds like we grew up in the same era, and this precisely mirrors my experience over the last 45 years.  

That was back when the "gun safe" was in the corner of the porch, close to the spring driven porch door.  Up until the recent acquisition of a Kimber Pro Carry, every gun I've owned has been stored and run nearly dry.  

As for the shotguns, after we were done hunting in the fields or pothole ponds, they were wiped down with an oily rag, or hosed down with Pledge, followed by a wipe down.

As for the aforementioned Kimber, it's the only gun I've ever owned that malfunctioned due to being dirty.  Hopefully, the more I run it, clean it, lube it, and run it again, the better it'll go.

That's my hope, anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jame said:

It sounds like we grew up in the same era, and this precisely mirrors my experience over the last 45 years.  

That was back when the "gun safe" was in the corner of the porch, close to the spring driven porch door.  Up until the recent acquisition of a Kimber Pro Carry, every gun I've owned has been stored and run nearly dry.  

As for the shotguns, after we were done hunting in the fields or pothole ponds, they were wiped down with an oily rag, or hosed down with Pledge, followed by a wipe down.

As for the aforementioned Kimber, it's the only gun I've ever owned that malfunctioned due to being dirty.  Hopefully, the more I run it, clean it, lube it, and run it again, the better it'll go.

That's my hope, anyway.

I am obsessive about cleaning my old Kimber Classic Stainless II.  I shoot Wolf steel case in it and it is dirty ammo, but cheap.   I spend loving time cleaning it and it always performs flawlessly.  Cleanliness is next to Godliness!  Even in weapons of war.

I have a good Ultrasonic cleaner but nothing replaces the minute inspection of each and every little cranny when I clean it by hand.

• Like 2

I am obsessive about cleaning my old Kimber Classic Stainless II.  I shoot Wolf steel case in it and it is dirty ammo, but cheap.   I spend loving time cleaning it and it always performs flawlessly.  Cleanliness is next to Godliness!  Even in weapons of war.

I have a good Ultrasonic cleaner but nothing replaces the minute inspection of each and every little cranny when I clean it by hand.

Weapons of war? People who want to ban guns call them weapons of war.
  • Like 1

My favorite is Shooter's Choice FP10 and Grease. I used to run Mobile 1 on my 1911s but IMO FP10 is much better. I like Balistol for my Glocks except that the smell is horrible so I've switched over to FP10 also. For my ARs, I've switched over to ALG Go-Juice. It seems to work okay and it's less noxious IMO. Time will tell. Bolt actions I'm running with FP10.

Dumb ole orange bottle Hoppes.   I have what seems like gallons of it.    It works just fine.    

If I were ever going to make a change I would probably use some synthetic motor oil only because there's always some in the shop.  

Definitely not knocking those who like to play round with the more exotic oils and greases.  I've just never found a reason to.