3rd Gen Smith autos

OldCop71

I love the 3rd Gen S&W as you can see by my 3913 avatar, but I'm not a collector. I love them because they're well made, reliable carry pistols.

Those look reasonably priced, depending on the area you're in. TSWs come and go in my area, never seen a Horton for sale in Northern Colorado. 

Dave

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2017 at 9:50 PM, ROB said:

I'd like to happen across a 5900 series steel 9mm someday to go with my 3913. These were very underrated pistols.

IMG_20171002_072454.thumb.jpg.ed79b5eb297810d65421f90425c997e5.jpg

I still kick myself for missing out on one of these a few years ago.  The guy wanted something like $350 with 2 mags.  I told him I would think about it.  It was gone within the next hour.  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After near full conversion to DA/SA, I found a 5906 that had barely been shot.  After a hammer spring and trigger return spring refreshment (smoothening) it is truly a pleasure to shoot! It is somewhat nostalgic, too, as my old man carried a personally owned copy prior to agency selection and fielding of an auto. Also had to be sure it was one without the mag disconnector.

IMG_0682.JPG

Edited by derek141
additional info
  • Like 1

We used to issue the 6906 and 3913.  The DAO weapons like the 3953 and 6946 were better IMHO; fewer parts and great, consistent  (shorter, lighter!) trigger pulls.  I still have a 3953, but much-prefer my Glock 43 for the same purpose.  Honestly,, though, I wasn't sad to transition to the Glock 19 and Glock 26.  The Gen3 S&W guns required some replacement parts to be fitted, and would usually suffer a breakage prior to 5K rounds.

15 minutes ago, derek141 said:

After near full conversion to DA/SA, I found a 5906 that had barely been shot.  After a hammer spring and trigger return spring refreshment (smoothening) it is truly a pleasure to shoot! It is somewhat nostalgic, too, as my old man carried a personally owned copy prior to agency selection and fielding of an auto. Also had to be sure it was one without the mag disconnector.

IMG_0682.JPG

Who's the maker of those beautiful grips?  Are they much thicker than the factory plastic offerings?

I have several S&W 3rd Gens. Excellent guns back in their day and still very underrated today. I like to buy up police trade in Smiths and have a number of them. I have an Atlanta PD 5903, a Cleveland PD 5943, NYPD 5946, NJ police 3953, Lucas Co. Sheriff's Office 6906, an a few more.

20180607_202900.jpg

• Like 2

Bought a 6946 a couple of months ago, but haven’t had it to the range yet. The downside to this model is the relative scarcity of mags; I’ve been looking and found/purchased three at the gun show last weekend. I like the looks of the 3rd gen S&Ws, and would really like to find a reasonably priced TSW to add to my safe. 

The only Gen 3 S&W I still own is a model 3566 in .356 TS&W caliber.

I bought it on a whim to compare to my .38 Supers. I shot less than 100 rounds through it and then put it in the safe and found it many years later. I intended to sell or trade it, but never got around to it. 

I wish I had kept my old 5904 with the early elongated trigger guard. It was a great pistol and if I ever see another 5904, I'll try to buy it. 

I had a model 39 that I bought new back in the 80's. It was a beautifully made gun and was accurate and reliable but I didn't like the fact that it was DA/SA/Decocker.  I sold it and I would have liked to have bought a Model 52 38 special wadcutter but it just seemed like too much money at the time because it was almost 3-4 times the price of the 39. I also shot a friend's model 59 and that was a nice gun too, but the 39 was a nicer size.

I worked up a number of different reloads for the 39 including a cast bullet load using 158 grain round-nose bullets cast from a Lyman mold. But after I sold the 39 I didn't buy another 9mm until about 20 years later when I bought my first Glock, a model 19.

Not long ago I had a chance to shoot a model 1046 and I liked that gun because it was DAO and had a nice trigger.

Edited by Borg warner