Horrible day

GlocknSpiehl

Some of my friends were off for a vacation together. This morning the one wife said after breakfast " I dont feel good". She then hit the floor.

Her husband called 911 while my other friend started CPR. She kept up the CPR till the Rescue got there, a good 10 mins.

The lady didn't make it. 47 years old, no history of cardiac.

[emoji25]

Her husband's devastated, my other friend blames herself thinking maybe she could have done better. A real crap sandwich.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

38 years of EMS, so I have a little insight. Tell her that an old grizzled paramedic thanks her for doing her best. Sudden cardiac death is minimized by the AED sales campaigns. It happens and I know a firefighter that was fortunate enough to drop dead in the station while being insulted by another crew. He is fine today, but is the exception.

CPR is the final act of defiance. It is great when it ends well, but it usually ends like it starts, with a cardiac standstill. All you can do is all you can do.

Redd Duke had a habit of making the complicated very simple. One of his saying went something like, "We don't save lives. We entertain the patients until God decides what to do with them". Not an exact quote, I don't think, but it simplifies the questions of rescue work.

Best wishes and peace to all.

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 10

17 hours ago, GlocknSpiehl said:

Some of my friends were off for a vacation together. This morning the one wife said after breakfast " I dont feel good". She then hit the floor.

Her husband called 911 while my other friend started CPR. She kept up the CPR till the Rescue got there, a good 10 mins.

The lady didn't make it. 47 years old, no history of cardiac.

emoji25.png

Her husband's devastated, my other friend blames herself thinking maybe she could have done better. A real crap sandwich.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

The same story befell my mother.  She was 42 years old.  Stepped into the front door with groceries and dropped to the floor.  They said she was probably dead before she hit the floor.  Massive Stroke.

You can't let this result in guilt.  Under these circumstances everyone did what was humanly possible, and they still couldn't change the outcome. 

Sometime things happen that seem so bad, yet they still happen through no fault of your own.  Losing a loved one is terrible at any age, but the shock of almost instantaneously losing them is very tragic.

God bless and do the best you can.  I'm truly sorry for your loss.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, GlocknSpiehl said:

Thanks everyone. All of us are trying to provide love and support to the survivors because they are traumatized. Our CPR champ we’re trying to get her to go to her departments PTSD counselor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A lot of people think that is corny and ineffective, It isn't. It needs to be done early, so that sh knows it is OK to have the feelings she has and that she isn't alone.

A normal reaction to an abnormal situation. It can help to get that stuff out of you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've used CPR four times and the success rate is .500 total in my experiences. Needless guilt will follow, but even the world's best physicians in the best equipped surgical theatres cannot save every one. 

She needs to seek some professional assistance to realize that she gave a valiant effort, but that CPR is not guaranteed to work.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am sorry for the loss of your friend!

A small comfort, especially for her husband is that she went quickly.
I am watching my best friend, the love of my life, wasting away in pain, from liver and brain cancer. It is hard to bear seeing her in such pain and not being able to do anything about it.

Prayers for all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, blueiron said:

I've used CPR four times and the success rate is .500 total in my experiences. Needless guilt will follow, but even the world's best physicians in the best equipped surgical theatres cannot save every one. 

She needs to seek some professional assistance to realize that she gave a valiant effort, but that CPR is not guaranteed to work.   

You are in quite the small percentage, unless you saw them go down. I only remember losing two that I watched arrest,  one told me he felt just fine as I was watching him go into V-Tach then nothing, I was in the middle of a report to the hospital. I didn't get the chance to get back to them on it, but they figured it out and were ready for us.

There were plenty that "I was just talking to them" that had rigor mortis. I suppose they were talking to the victims, but the answers were imagined because they should have been there and weren't.

PTS Debriefing is a great addition to EMS that came later in my career. Many of us coped with unhealthy mechanisms and it will seep into every relationship, good time, dream, and situation if left to it's own. Way too many divorces, chemical dependencies, and depression/anxiety medicated people out there. The program seems to have lessened this some.

• Like 2

Depending on whose stats you are looking at, for compression CPR (no AED), only 3-20% of people receiving it actually survive and recover enough to ever leave the hospital.  I hope someone  points that out to your coworker, because she has absolutely no rational reason to feel guilty.  Her friend's death was in no way her fault.  Even if she had an AED, combined with compression-only CPR, the survival rate is still only 40%.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

that sucks , sorry for the loss.      i lost one of best friends  on halloween  2009 he was 40 ,  healthy  from all aspects  as one would think .  he was remodeling bathroom  ,  i had went to lowes with him  , got breakfast  had some laughs .  the same day me and wife headed to beach ,  so we get to the house  and i call my mom to let her know we made it safe . i was mommas boy and always let her know we are ok  .  she does not sound right , im like whats wrong ?  she said Lee died  about 4 hours after i left  .  he was taking out old toilet  and his 2 sons were there  , and he sat down and said  he felt weird . so he said im gonna lay down  and he threw up  on bed they called rescue  and was gone  before they left his house .  

you just never know ,  what really sucks  he was buried on my birthday   so it digs in deeper  every year . 

Sorry for your loss, man.  Seems to be going around.

Found out today a buddy of mine didn't wake up on the 1st.  Just passed away in his sleep.  I shook hands with him Sunday at church and he hugged my wife and daugther.

2020 is starting off as a pisser.

Greg Sheldon!  Always a mystery of a man.  But a better man...well...you couldn't find one like him.  We'll just say you couldn't find another like him.  He was different in a good way.

• Like 1

My uncle passed away suddenly.  They had just pulled into the hospital/dr office where my aunt(Mom's sister) had an appointment.  They were talking and his brother asked him a question. He didn't respond.  The hospital tried for like 2 hours to revive him as I recall.  But the point is even right at a medical center sometimes there is nothing you can do. 

I once had a coworker attempt to revive a customer who had some sort of sudden cardiac event and she was unable to revive the customer. 

Fortunately I have never had to use my CPR training.