Good "entry level" or basic AR-15

SC Tiger

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to look into the idea of building my own AR.  If I do, I would definitely get the upper pre-built.  But the more I learn, the more I realize that I don't know:

1)  Does the bolt on an AR have to be fitted to the chamber?  

2)  Are chrome-plated chambers still the thing, or is there something better out there now?  Do I even need a chrome plated chamber?  The rifle's purpose will be range toy, defense. and zombie apocolypse go-to rifle.

Watching a couple of videos,  building the lower seems pretty easy honestly - if it's fully machined.

1 hour ago, SC Tiger said:

I'm starting to look into the idea of building my own AR.  If I do, I would definitely get the upper pre-built.  But the more I learn, the more I realize that I don't know:

2)  Are chrome-plated chambers still the thing, or is there something better out there now?  Do I even need a chrome plated chamber?  The rifle's purpose will be range toy, defense. and zombie apocolypse go-to rifle.

Watching a couple of videos,  building the lower seems pretty easy honestly - if it's fully machined.

1) modern machining and whatnot make pretty much all of these rifle parts assemble and shoot, no "fitting" of parts required unless you're doing something very out of the ordinary/special.

2) chrome plating in chambers/barrels is more of a military thing for a little added wear/corrosion protection.  Your average barrel will still last many thousands of rounds no issues, and the ones that aren't chrome lined are a little more accurate on average.  It's kind of a toss up/personal preference thing, but definitely not required for a good go to gun.

Yup, assembling a lower and upper both are very simple.  A bench vise, a couple blocks of wood, and an AR-15 wrench of some type (they're pretty cheap) and you can pretty much do anything you want to one.

On 1/1/2020 at 6:02 PM, SC Tiger said:

Pretty easy; even I could do it ( about 5 times now ). There is a company ( TMI ) near me that makes lowers and other things.

https://www.tacticalmachining.com/

Edited by willie-pete