Glock 44: Is it really legendary? Really?

Spats McGee

Circling back to my question of whether the G44 is 'legendary,' what occurs to me is that Glock has always been very conservative.  The G44 is (as far as I know) first Glock in history that was ever designed as anything other than a defensive handgun.  Sure, you could carry a .22LR, but it's not really considered an acceptable defensive caliber.  Everything else Glock makes (or has ever made, I think) has been a polymer-framed, striker-fired pistol, chambered in something suitable for defense of one's person.   Up until just a few years ago, Glock didn't even make single-stacks. 

Glock will sell a ton of them, and that's cool.  I wouldn't mind shooting one, personally.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:59 PM, Valmet said:

I know and I’ve considered it. I’m just hesitant to do any at-home smithing. Even on a Glock. 

A gunsmith wouldn't charge much to do it for you. It's good to get to know your local Gunsmith I have one in my area that is really good and sometimes he does stuff for free and while I wait if it's a simple job. He also does xlnt re-bluing, Parkerizing and cerecote, and is a genius with trigger jobs. He did a trigger job for me on a Browning Hi-power that is like a 1911 trigger.

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:27 PM, Spats McGee said:

As is always, there was a lot of hype.  Most of it centered around the arrival of something "legendary."  So Glock rolled out its first .22LR today, G19-sized, but only holding 10 rounds.  https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g44

Is it legendary?  Do you want one?  Thoughts?

I think it would be a great trainer for a kid who is timid of the Glock and doesn't want to dive into a 9mm right away.  It would get them used to the functions, so a 9mm comes out for them to shoot, a lot less anxiety.  From that standpoint it is genius.  It also saves all those aftermarket slides and magazines.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I just ordered one. I see it as a gun that will be cheap and fun to shoot. My wife, who is suffering from arthritis in her hands, may find it easier to manage. I’m not expecting a tack driver... love all my Glocks, but none of them are tack drivers. It does open up a new GSSF category ?.

Some folks will be attracted to it because Glock has a reputation for making simple, dependable firearms. Not match guns. Not heirloom guns. Works straight out of the box guns.

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 7:30 PM, TXUSMC said:

I just ordered one. I see it as a gun that will be cheap and fun to shoot. My wife, who is suffering from arthritis in her hands, may find it easier to manage. I’m not expecting a tack driver... love all my Glocks, but none of them are tack drivers. It does open up a new GSSF category ?.

Some folks will be attracted to it because Glock has a reputation for making simple, dependable firearms. Not match guns. Not heirloom guns. Works straight out of the box guns.

Give us a range report when you get yours. I'm curious about the accuracy.

• Like 1

I  have two on order, one for my wife and one for myself. We plan on using them in GSSF matches in the new rimfire division.

We already have a couple of Advantage Arms conversion kits and they work well when fed CCI 40 Mini Mags or Remington Golden Bullets.

• Like 2

I've had mine a few days now and it's a good training tool.  I wouldn't call it a training tool for only new shooters - it's good to use for checking your own mechanics, no matter how long you've been shooting, without your perceptions masked by the heavier recoil of standard calibers.

The mixed polymer/steel slide makes the overall weapon light.  So if your hand isn't steady, that tends to accentuate moving the sights around - a nice result. The lighter slide creates more muzzle flip than a heavier slide would for a .22 so you do simulate a decent amount of recoil movement (not force) to focus on reacquiring the target. As you age, your eyes change and this is a never ending process of changing how you use your eyes and glasses to do this (I've had to change that a lot in the last 20 years).  Of course the trigger and grip angle are Glock, so you practice with the same feel and geometry of the larger calibers.

As an experienced shooter it makes it cheaper to practice mechanics, check fundamentals, and reinforce good shooting techniques. For my first range session I shot 80 rounds in the G44 and then 20 in my G48 - that was a good process for effective range time/practice/evaluation.  Further, a 10-round mag is fine for this as you also practice tactical mag changes. 

I have not done any bench rest testing for accuracy, but out of the box it shot fine at closer ranges to work on my mechanics. It fulfills my purposes for my own practice, training, and evaluation.

Of course YMMV.

On 1/19/2020 at 4:23 AM, Spats McGee said:

Looking forward to the reports.

Picked it up today, and test fired 40 rounds. My thoughts:

- typical Glock fit and finish... slide is mostly polymer, making the gun very light.

- mags are easy to load, but if the top round is not sitting just right (i.e., nose up), there could be some FtF issues

- comes with cheap adjustable rear sight and adjustment tool. Accuracy out of the box was decent, but not a tack driver (wasn’t expecting one).

- happy with the purchase... next step is to buy some more mags and a brick of ammo

- internet search indicates some folks have found some brands of .22LR feed better than others. I used two different brands, and I think that the issues are more mag-loading related. YMMV

• Like 3

• 2 months later...