Glock 44: Is it really legendary? Really?

Spats McGee

There were some good after market kits that would do the same thing.

I'm sure it's a glock great gun....but...i might have been more excited if it was .22 magnum.

Should be good for training new shooters who have an issue with a larger caliber.

It's also a .22...honestly...there are some stunningly good pistols already in the caliber.   

I'd get a Ruger or a Smith revolver.  Just saw a preware Colt Woodsman for sale on Monday.  Now that's a pistol.

Edited by Historian
  • Thanks 1

I actually like the gun and think that it's a major breakthrough for Glock. It's a good trainer for a G19, 23, or 32. I don't really care for any polymer 22's that are considered "Plinkers". I prefer a target .22 like a Ruger Mk1-4, a Browning Buckmark, or a classic S&W model 41, Hi-standard, or Colt woodsman.

But if this gun is accurate and not just a "Plinker", and is reliable, I'd be interested in getting one. People on the Glock forum are pissing and moaning that it only has a ten round mag but the gun comes with 3 magazines and how hard is it to change mags? If it had a 20 round mag, it would just take twice as long to load it. And this is a target gun not a "Tactical" combat gun. And it makes sense that the gun with a 10 round mag can be sold in all 50 states including states run by Democrats that have magazine capacity restrictions. 

And rumor is that they may come out with a 15 round mag later but I'm still waiting for Glock to come out with factory extended mags for the G42 and G43 and don't know if they ever will.

Here's the best write-up I've seen on the gun so far:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/12/10/glock-44-22lr/

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 2

It isn't anything I need. I'm always happy to see a new gun being released, but this one is a solution looking for a problem. As Historian said there were already kits available to accomplish the same thing.

I wonder why many .22 semi auto's are 10rd capacity? The S&W M&P .22 is the same way, a full size gun with small 10rd capacity.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Borg warner said:

I actually like the gun and think that it's a major breakthrough for Glock. It's a good trainer for a G19, 23, or 32. I don't really care for any polymer 22's that are considered "Plinkers". I prefer a target .22 like a Ruger Mk1-4, a Browning Buckmark, or a classic S&W model 41, Hi-standard, or Colt woodsman.

But if this gun is accurate and not just a "Plinker", and is reliable, I'd be interested in getting one. People on the Glock forum are pissing and moaning that it only has a ten round mag but the gun comes with 3 magazines and how hard is it to change mags? If it had a 20 round mag, it would just take twice as long to load it. And this is a target gun not a "Tactical" combat gun. And it makes sense that the gun with a 10 round mag can be sold in all 50 states including states run by Democrats that have magazine capacity restrictions. 

And rumor is that they may come out with a 15 round mag later but I'm still waiting for Glock to come out with factory extended mags for the G42 and G43 and don't know if they ever will.

Here's the best write-up I've seen on the gun so far:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/12/10/glock-44-22lr/

As a trainer, I will admit that I'd prefer it came with a 15-round magazine, to make it as similar as possible to a G19/23/32, but that's certainly not the end of the world.  And it does make sense to have a 10-rounder available for thse more restrictive states.  You're right about that.

As for me, I find the G44 interesting, but I won't be trading in my Ruger on one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Historian said:

I'd like to be surprised by this pistol.     Until i see one and shoot one the verdict is out.   But it could be interesting.

Personally, i was thinking i would prefer the Glock Carbine.  :)

I think just as many people would have been disappointed with the Glock Carbine. I guarantee you there'd be something for everybody to complain about and I was prepared to be disappointed with the Glock PCC if it was 9mm only and wasn't modular and didn't have interchangeable uppers and magwells for different calibers, particularly 45 ACP and 10mm followed by Glock producing higher capacity magazines in both those calibers. Now THAT would be legendary!

But as much as I like the G44, I'm not going to be the first on my block to go out an get one. I want to know first and foremost how ACCURATE it is and I'm waiting t hear about six months of field reports attesting to it's (hopefully) exceptional accuracy.   But if accuracy seems to be only so-so, I would rather that Glock only sold a conversion slide ,and magazine combo for existing guns including Gen 3 then I could get one for my Gen 3 G23 and have 4 or 5 guns in one since I already have 9mm and 357 sig barrels and then I might even want to get a 22 TCM 9r barrel to make it 5 guns in one.

Edited by Borg warner
  • Thanks 1

Underwhelmed, but there has been a demand for a Glock .22 for a long time. I know their goal was for a full sized training type pistol, but would love to have seen a Glock 48 sized .22.

Reddit was pretty amusing leading up to the announcement. SOOOO many hoping for the Glock carbine comments. "So and so FLL talked to a Glock rep who fired the prototype, etc"  blah blah. I pointed out that those rumors have persisted for ten plus years and no sign of a carbine. 

2 hours ago, Borg warner said:

I think just as many people would have been disappointed with the Glock Carbine. I guarantee you there'd be something for everybody to complain about and I was prepared to be disappointed with the Glock PCC if it was 9mm only and wasn't modular and didn't have interchangeable uppers and magwells for different calibers, particularly 45 ACP and 10mm followed by Glock producing higher capacity magazines in both those calibers. Now THAT would be legendary!

But as much as I like the G44, I'm not going to be the first on my block to go out an get one. I want to know first and foremost how ACCURATE it is and I'm waiting t hear about six months of field reports attesting to it's (hopefully) exceptional accuracy.   But if accuracy seems to be only so-so, I would rather that Glock only sold a conversion slide ,and magazine combo for existing guns including Gen 3 then I could get one for my Gen 3 G23 and have 4 or 5 guns in one since I already have 9mm and 357 sig barrels and then I might even want to get a 22 TCM 9r barrel to make it 5 guns in one.

Pretty much exactly how I think about the situation.   It's a novelty.   And I'm sure it's a fine pistol in .22....but we'll see how it performs.  It would be a great teaching tool.

As for complaining:  The gun community complains about a LOT of things. Sometimes...too much. This pistol will be someone's dream pistol.

Maybe...mine after i shoot it.  Although, I'm sold on old Woodsmen and hunt with one made in 1918.

3 hours ago, Borg warner said:

This!

Edited by janice6

The marketing fail may well prove to be legendary.

The pistol seems like a reasonable edition to the lineup, but didn't have me particularly excited or interested for one just now.  

I was eyeing a Ruger Mk.IV or S&W Victory, but with the black Friday sales, I just picked up my first Buckmark.  Pistol+tax+transfer+spare mag-rebate=<$300. Holding that pistol feels like owning a piece of a legend.

Actually, Glock pistols as a whole are already somewhat legendary. Adding a .22 to the mix doesn't change that one way or the other.

I suspect the pistol will not only sell well, but most Glock fans will probably end up owning one sooner or later (despite their current griping & moaning right now).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Valmet said:

I was hoping Glock’s new announcement was a Gen5 that lacks the ambi slide-stop (even though that would be undeniably underwhelming for most folks). 

I 'm right-handed and I don't like it, but a lot of left-handers don't like the ambi slide stop either. What Glock should do is offer the slide stop in Left-hand only, Right -hand only, OR Ambi.

But if you're right handed, there's a simple fix.

glk amb-1b.JPG