We open a fireproof gun safe after a house fire - See what’s inside!

pipedreams

Gun safes are also rated for how long they will protect the contents.  If the fire exceeds the length of time to boil away the water in the gypsum, the heat will start to harm the guns.

It looks like both water and time got to the contents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

Gun safes are also rated for how long they will protect the contents.  If the fire exceeds the length of time to boil away the water in the gypsum, the heat will start to harm the guns.

It looks like both water and time got to the contents.

I was thinking by the looks of that safe the fire must of been intense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems like it did a pretty good job. If you think surviving a house fire will net pristine contents you will likely be disappointed.

Safes have fire ratings, and water ratings. Not all have both. It may be that both were exceeded. People don't think steam be like it do, but it do.

If it was disclosed how long the safe had been sitting after the event, I missed it. Also a factor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After the wildfires in Bastrop Tx, I talked to a lot of people that had gun safes and only one of them said that he was able to recover his guns with minimal damage and that was only because his safe fell over backwards and through the exterior wall to the outside of the house..

• Like 2

On 12/13/2019 at 2:04 PM, jmohme said:

After the wildfires in Bastrop Tx, I talked to a lot of people that had gun safes and only one of them said that he was able to recover his guns with minimal damage and that was only because his safe fell over backwards and through the exterior wall to the outside of the house..

Yea, most don't realize how hot an interior space can get during a house fire. Always buy the best you can afford. The hotter and longer duration are expensive but will survive better. Finding one that seals with heat will help it survive steam. You will encounter a lot of that during the attempt to put the fire out.

The 24 inches of standing water is great, but that is for a flood. The ratings are for two different disasters.