Vehicle batteries

ASH

i need some good in math to tell me the odds  of 3 batteries going dead on same day ?  

our 2014  Sorrento    started today as usual ran to town  , got back in dead 

daughters  audi A4   called me right after i bought new battery for me , dead 

got home  had the big tractor out  with box blade  other day smoothing driveway , went to put in barn today dead.  

tractor is on charge so time will tell .   our kia  battery 7 years old so it was bout time . but same day ?? roflmao

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, janice6 said:

The disgusting thing about random events in mathematics, is that over any "segment" of the series of random events, you may find a pattern.  It means nothing in the grand scheme of things, but it does pee one off sometimes!

yep no sooner then i got home , ring ring  , dad  lol   .  her hubby is in Pa   as his mom is sick and needed some help .  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, ASH said:

yep no sooner then i got home , ring ring  , dad  lol   .  her hubby is in Pa   as his mom is sick and needed some help .  

The good thing about random events, is that the belief they happen in groups isn't true.  However there is nothing that prevents them from happening this way. 

A wise man once said, "Life's a bitch and then you die!"

• Like 2

if the weather got really cold suddenly it would explain the multiple dead batteries. 

In good weather even a marginal battery will start a vehicle, but as the weather gets colder the amount of power a battery can release is reduced, and the amount of energy required to start a vehicle increases.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

theres been bout 10 degree difference from yesterday  , but our weather is weird,  one day 70  next 55  .  ive been in NC  my whole life , and i remember getting snow  that syayed for week , but in last 20 years  one day  flip flops next day boots . i know i got sick more  .  i never thought about battery  . it could be

• Like 3

I have my personal rule that if the battery has lasted 5 years it's a throw away.  If it hasn't it's not your fault.

I changed them regularly on age.  The second thing I found from personal experience, is that to get maximum reliability for cold weather starting, use fresh oil. 

The moisture that collects during cold weather short trips makes the oil like sludge, and produces hard starts.  Oil is cheaper than a trip to the service garage.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Huaco Kid said:

And I don't even know,  but the odds are they were all passed the pro-rated warranty by two days.

The definition of a successful modern product.  Computers are wonderful for designing with no margin for overdesigning.

Just now, janice6 said:

I have my personal rule that if the battery has lasted 5 years it's a throw away.  If it hasn't it's not your fault.

I changed them regularly on age.  The second thing I found from personal experience, is that to get maximum reliability for cold weather starting, use fresh oil. 

The moisture that collects during cold weather short trips makes the oil like sludge, and produces hard starts.  Oil is cheaper than a trip to the service garage.

yeah  i i kinda go by the rule myself  we bought 2014 kia   new , so it was made in 2013  id bet  .  but once i lose faith  time for new ,  

• Thanks 1

And I don't even know,  but the odds are they were all passed the pro-rated warranty by two days.

Sears once seemed to slightly undercharge for a five year warranty battery, which would almost certainly get you back to the store for a replacement under warranty at the four year mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cougar_ml said:

So to do the odds, I would place the odds of it happening at 100%, because it DID happen.

I argued with a Subaru dealer this way.  He said Subaru's were very reliable, I said mine spun a bearing at 16,000 miles.  He said this wasn't normal, I said it was for mine.

I only had one and it soured me on them all.  None of my other vehicles over my whole lifetime did this to me.  So my experience was 100% bad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

I argued with a Subaru dealer this way.  He said Subaru's were very reliable, I said mine spun a bearing at 16,000 miles.  He said this wasn't normal, I said it was for mine.

I only had one and it soured me on them all.  None of my other vehicles over my whole lifetime did this to me.  So my experience was 100% bad.

i always  hear how great they are , buddy bought a cross trek  when they came out , man he had nothing but trouble  after over a year ans lawyer they finally  placed it under lemon

law ,  then he said i dont want another one i want my money back ,  so after another year of fighting , he hired  4 or 5 dudes to picket with signs on the roadside in front of dealership , a week later he said he got check in mail .     if i ever get screwed thats what im gonna do .  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i dunno , i compared some batteries today , from autozone and  AA  and  they both had cyber monday deals ,  so i saved 40 bucks  off each battery   whuch saving 80 bucks is not bad .

they are duralast gold  3 year warranty , so im semi happy  being i needed batteries .  

• Thanks 1

I bought two new vehicles in 2011, about a month apart. Two years ago, one of them had the battery just die like a light switch. It was absolutely perfect one day then the next, nothing. I mean not even enough voltage to unlock the doors, light up the dash, or anything. I had to figure out how to get to the shifter interlock release to get it in neutral so I could push it back enough to get a jump. I stopped on the way home and bought another battery and switched it in the parking lot. 

The next day, I took the other one to replace the battery as well. That one had shown no signs of getting weak but, was a month older, had a smaller battery, and even more electronic wizardry than the other one so I figured six years was a good run. I've seen plenty of them fail in just three. 

• Like 2

im gonna tell you nothing dies quicker then a lawnmower battery  absolutely nothing ,  lol .   i trickle charge all my tractors , lawnmowers and seems every season im buying a lawn battery.  

gotta be made from swizzle sticks

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1