Underwood Carbine. 6-43 barrel date.

DrB

Look what I found while oiling up my guns.  Receiver is Underwood, barrel Underwood 6-43.  Now being that there is another trigger group , bolt and parts that means there is another Carbine lurking in parts around here.  I never bought any extra parts.  Good grief...  A hunting I will go....

Dave... 

Underwood 6-43.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Well I found the rest of the parts to put all of them back together.  I also found an Underwood issued to the Bavaria Rural Police.  Has rear flip up sites. CMP rifle. So that makes 5 Carbines. 

A lot of project work for me.  When I decide to give them away they will make nice rifles.

Oh boy, I just looked and have parts to complete 3 rifles.  I only need the complete parts for 2 that I got out.  That means I gotta go back into the mine and start looking as there is another.

Dave.

Edited by DrB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Valmet said:

Those Carbines are awesome little guns. I owned a National Postal Meter about 20 years ago and like an idiot I sold it. 

Thanks, I have to get them all back together again.  Sometimes life takes different turns along the way. Nice projects.  The 2 stocks will wait until next summer when I can work on them outside.  They are ready to go except for a little stain and linseed oil.  They have not been sanded, just cleaned from the crap.

Dave..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blueiron said:

Why all the bayonet lugs? Are they all late model? 

That's how they came from the CMP.  I had no choice.  The second one down does have the flip sights.  Luck of the draw is what you got.  I'm happy with what I got..

Dave..

Edited by DrB

On 11/30/2019 at 11:33 AM, DrB said:

Well I found the rest of the parts to put all of them back together.  I also found an Underwood issued to the Bavaria Rural Police.  Has rear flip up sites. CMP rifle. So that makes 5 Carbines. 

Wow....BRP...there's a memory.

Nice collection, sir.

I once had a 1943 stamped Inland...that i carried as a patrol carbine in place of a shotgun.

Still a fast handling little gun.  Serious weapon.  Slap a red dot on it and you'd have a room clearing broom.

11 minutes ago, Historian said:

Wow....BRP...there's a memory.

Nice collection, sir.

I once had a 1943 stamped Inland...that i carried as a patrol carbine in place of a shotgun.

Still a fast handling little gun.  Serious weapon.  Slap a red dot on it and you'd have a room clearing broom.

No Red dots.  They will remain as they were as I hope they do into the future...

Just now, DrB said:

No Red dots.  They will remain as they were as I hope they do into the future...

I agree totally. With that kind of history you keep it as is.  You can't change an excellence like that.

A long time ago i purchased an M1 Garand off a guy at work specifically to save it from his hair-brained idea to have it chambered in .308 and tanker it.

It was a 43 Springfield.

It is...as it was...and will never be changed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blueiron said:

Why all the bayonet lugs? Are they all late model? 

I'm not an expert.  But i think it was after 41 when the lugs started showing up.

According to Larry Ruth's WAR BABIES. the M1 carbine barrel band bayonet lug was approved for standardization on 10 May 44

I guess some could have been retrofitted as my 43 has one.

Edited by Historian

8 minutes ago, blueiron said:

Post-War Arsenal rebuilds would have bayonet lugs on early Carbines, but most of WWII guns never saw them unless they were late builds or M2 models. 

I'm assuming mine are Arsenal rebuilds from the CMP. A lot of history here to ponder through.

Dave..

Edited by DrB

On 12/1/2019 at 8:04 PM, Nestor said:

Absolutely beautiful. Congratulations. One of my favorite weapon systems actually. Sadly none in my possession currently. Thanks for posting.

Your welcome.  Glad you enjoyed the pictures.  I have an 03 and an 03A3 still in the cosmoline I brought out.  I post them up if you are interested.

Dave..

Edited by DrB