AR 15's Et al.

DrB

Was considering a black Friday deal on a Ruger for $450.00 but then got to thinking.  I just got a S&W M&P Sport 2.  I have a Colt as well.  Along with that I have a s**t pile of stripped lowers.  Perhaps I should just build up a couple of my lowers instead.  Something to consider.  How hard is it to build an upper from parts?  I have built a lower before years ago.

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

A complete upper in 458 SOCOM costs only $299

https://www.ar15part.com/16-458-SOCOM-Upper-AR-15-Assembly-Rifle-Length-Ra-p/16458cmu1x14mlmlr.htm

I think the 458 SOCOM is the most interesting caliber you can adapt to an AR15 because it can duplicate the ballistics of a 45-70 which is suitable for hunting everything on the North American continet and is even good at long ranges once you figure out your trajectory.  NRA Black Powder Target Rifle Competition competitors are capable of good accuracy results at 800, 900 and even 1000 yards and I've seen Black powder 45-70 shooters at my local range ringing a relatively small gong repeatedly at 300 yards without any difficulty.

And the 458 SOCOM actually has improved ballistics compared to the black powder 45-70 developing 1600 fps as opposed to 1200 fps with a 405 grain bullet. Additionally the 458 SOCOM could even be throttled back to 1050-1100 fps and be suppressed.

But if long range is really what tickles your fancy, the 6.5 Grendel is better at long range than the either 5.56/223 or the 6.8 Remington and so is the 224 Valkyrie.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 6:06 PM, Borg warner said:

A complete upper in 458 SOCOM costs only $299

https://www.ar15part.com/16-458-SOCOM-Upper-AR-15-Assembly-Rifle-Length-Ra-p/16458cmu1x14mlmlr.htm

I think the 458 SOCOM is the most interesting caliber you can adapt to an AR15 because it can duplicate the ballistics of a 45-70 which is suitable for hunting everything on the North American continet and is even good at long ranges once you figure out your trajectory.  NRA Black Powder Target Rifle Competition competitors are capable of good accuracy results at 800, 900 and even 1000 yards and I've seen Black powder 45-70 shooters at my local range ringing a relatively small gong repeatedly at 300 yards without any difficulty.

And the 458 SOCOM actually has improved ballistics compared to the black powder 45-70 developing 1600 fps as opposed to 1200 fps with a 405 grain bullet. Additionally the 458 SOCOM could even be throttled back to 1050-1100 fps and be suppressed.

But if long range is really what tickles your fancy, the 6.5 Grendel is better at long range than the either 5.56/223 or the 6.8 Remington and so is the 224 Valkyrie.

Nice cartridges but for this area would not work for me.  Most shots here are 150 yards or less now.  Most under 100 yards.  In the past my 220 swift was it but with the houses closing in that has come to an end.

I'm watching the 350 Legend to see how that works with folks.  I had a Remington Pump in .35 that I foolishly sold back in time.

Dave..

2 hours ago, DrB said:

Nice cartridges but for this area would not work for me.  Most shots here are 150 yards or less now.  Most under 100 yards.  In the past my 220 swift was it but with the houses closing in that has come to an end.

I'm watching the 350 Legend to see how that works with folks.  I had a Remington Pump in .35 that I foolishly sold back in time.

Dave..

for 150 yards or less the 458 SOCOM is perfect, but the ballistics of the 350 legend are very close if not a little faster than the 35 Remington.

I did a little looking into the 458.  It has a shoulder so that wouldn't work here.  Ohio is only legal with straight wall cartridges.  I'm going to watch the 350 Legend to see how that works out for folks. 

Strange that I can use anything to hunt woodchucks and such but for deer it is limited straight wall only.  I have not hunted in years but it would be nice to have a rifle around that I could use here if I wanted to.  Only thing I have now is a slug gun from the days when it was shotgun only.

Dave..

• 4 weeks later...