I got to use my glass breaker tool...

kerbie18

I was, by far, the first responder on scene to a wreck today. A mini-SUV in a suburban area had swerved off the roadway by itself and struck a large rock and brush embankment at a school.

When I arrived, the driver was clearly suffering some sort of seizure, and she was still seizing all over the place. I tried talking first, I tried opening a door, I ended up busting one of her windows with my baton. My baton includes a nifty glass breaker tip, it damn sure worked well.

Now begins the endless amount of paperwork, and endless amounts of bullshit about how I probably violated her rights when I broke her window.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Presguy said:

Glad it worked for you. 

Worth noting that more and more modern cars - including some mainstream brands - are now coming with laminated side windows. That means some, or all, of the side windows will be made with laminated/safety glass - just like the windshield.

It will still probably crack when hit with a glass breaker, but will stay in place. You may have to crack the glass more than once, and then push/pull on the broken sheet to remove it from the frame.

Here's a list of models (you can see it's pretty long) which have laminated side glass: https://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/files/Laminated-Glass-Vehicle-List.pdf

And here's an article (there are many) on the awareness needed by first reponders: https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/investigations/10-investigates/laminated-car-glass-how-theyre-a-boon-for-safety-but-a-concern-for-rescuers/67-459958218 (You can google "laminated side windows first responders" and find more articles with more or less depth on the topic)

The window had heavy window tint on it. That was enough to hold it together when I hit it, and I kinda had to beat it into submission with multiple strikes. I'm sure the bystanders found me entertaining...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

There were like a ton of bystanders at the scene of the wreck. Apparently, none of the 50 people standing around were actually able to help me save someone's life. They were too busy updating their twitter account and filming me trying to work. 

A crapload of people standing around, and not one person actually tried to help. 

I'm probably on YouTube somewhere, someone probably filmed me instead of helping, I'm sure

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, kerbie18 said:

There were like a ton of bystanders at the scene of the wreck. Apparently, none of the 50 people standing around were actually able to help me save someone's life. They were too busy updating their twitter account and filming me trying to work. 

A crapload of people standing around, and not one person actually tried to help. 

I'm probably on YouTube somewhere, someone probably filmed me instead of helping, I'm sure

Kind of gives you a bad feeling to see just how many are incapable of giving help when it's needed.  The statistics are sobering.  As sobering as the excuses given for not helping!

• Like 2

In the last few miles to our vacation resort we watched an oncoming car spin out and roll over in the middle of the highway.  It stayed on it's top.

I got to it and tried to run to help, but my bad knees slowed me down and a woman who was a Nurse beat me to the vehicle.  

I asked her what I could do to help, and she asked me to get her "Kit" from her car.  I got her stuff and she said the driver was OK, but she was strapped in and upside down so help was needed to get her out unharmed.

She said she had the situation, and I told her that the Police were almost there.

During all this, cars were lined up on both sides of the road and not one offered help of any kind.  No one even asked!

I hope I am never in a position where I have to rely on the general public for help, I don't know if there would be any to be had!

• Like 3

Dump the baton for emergency window extractions and buy a ball-peen hammer. The ball head end breaks windows with far less effort and is designed as a striking tool with the majority of the weight in the head of the tool. The 18 ounce or greater weights work better.  

• Like 1

Bystanders are essentially worthless at best, and a menace at worst. In CPR class, they stress making eye contact with a bystander, pointing at them, and saying "YOU. Call 911." Other than that, usually everyone has their phones out recording. At worst, they're too close to a dynamic or hazardous scene, and become a hindrance or endangered, themselves.

It seems that in rural areas, you get more, and better help on scenes, than you do in suburban or urban areas. I guess this isn't really a surprise.

Attaboy for being there, being decisive, and doing the thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, tadbart said:

Bystanders are essentially worthless at best, and a menace at worst. In CPR class, they stress making eye contact with a bystander, pointing at them, and saying "YOU. Call 911." Other than that, usually everyone has their phones out recording. At worst, they're too close to a dynamic or hazardous scene, and become a hindrance or endangered, themselves.

It seems that in rural areas, you get more, and better help on scenes, than you do in suburban or urban areas. I guess this isn't really a surprise.

Attaboy for being there, being decisive, and doing the thing.

You struck one of my pet peeves. I've shown up to the scene of a shooting, stabbing, robbery, and/or injury accident only to find everyone recording it with their phones. 

Good grief. Put down the phone and maybe help stop the bleeding. Ya think? Sheesh 

6 hours ago, kerbie18 said:

You struck one of my pet peeves. I've shown up to the scene of a shooting, stabbing, robbery, and/or injury accident only to find everyone recording it with their phones. 

Good grief. Put down the phone and maybe help stop the bleeding. Ya think? Sheesh 

Agreed. I have to tell people all the time that they cannot video in the ER. I would have never imagined doing such a thing, but it's at least a weekly occurrence that I deal with. I'm sure my colleagues do, too.