Old gun, new grip

Dric902

Just now, minervadoe said:

It's a Ruger.  "Read instruction manual" before using. 

Long ago I acquired a Ruger P-85 (9mm) from a friend of mine.  I put about a thousand rounds through it, and I could never get it to group well at all.

I got so frustrated, when comparing it to any other pistol I had, that I finally sent it back to Ruger with the note saying that, I wanted it to meet the original manufacturers claims for the pistol accuracy.  Nothing more!

A few weeks later I got it back with an invoice.  It said, "New fitted barrel", no charge!".

That damn gun was an absolute tack driver.  The closest I had to it's  ability to group tight was my Kimber .45.  I was not a fan of the 9mm (nothing bad about the round, just me) but that gun was the sweetest shooting pistol, most accurate of my collection.

Later, I succumbed to the friend's pleading to get it back.  Ruger fixed my perceived problem promptly on a pistol I  bought second hand and at that time it was quite old.

I have a great respect for their guns.  They may be a bit large, but they back them 100%.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 12/1/2019 at 6:23 PM, janice6 said:

Long ago I acquired a Ruger P-85 (9mm) from a friend of mine.  I put about a thousand rounds through it, and I could never get it to group well at all.

I got so frustrated, when comparing it to any other pistol I had, that I finally sent it back to Ruger with the note saying that, I wanted it to meet the original manufacturers claims for the pistol accuracy.  Nothing more!

A few weeks later I got it back with an invoice.  It said, "New fitted barrel", no charge!".

That damn gun was an absolute tack driver.  The closest I had to it's  ability to group tight was my Kimber .45.  I was not a fan of the 9mm (nothing bad about the round, just me) but that gun was the sweetest shooting pistol, most accurate of my collection.

Later, I succumbed to the friend's pleading to get it back.  Ruger fixed my perceived problem promptly on a pistol I  bought second hand and at that time it was quite old.

I have a great respect for their guns.  They may be a bit large, but they back them 100%.

I bought a Ruger KP89 many years ago.  When I became a reserve LEO it became my service weapon.  It was an absolute tack driver.  I always scored high on my quals.  I put at least 20k rounds through that thing during the many years that I had it.  I moved on to the plastic fantastics and sold it to a buddy.  One of the worst decisions I ever made.  I own several Ruger wheelguns and absolutely love them!  They are solid shooters, that's for sure.  And OP, that's a fine looking SP101 you got there!

• Thanks 1