220 Swift Circa 1972.

DrB

Historian here ask me a question re. my Swift rifle, so here are a few pictures.  I love this rifle and cartridge   There is the lure of the Swift.  I got hooked...  Bought it new way back when and it has followed me through the years.  Not the best of pictures but is all I got....

Dave..

Swift1.jpg

Swift2.jpg

Swift3.jpg

Swift4.jpg

Swift5.jpg

Swift6.jpg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Valmet said:

I'm fortunate enough to have a pre-64 Supergrade in 220 Swift but it is largely a safe queen. Despite the newer hyper-velocity .22s, the Swift is still at the top of the heap as far as velocity I believe. 

The Swift gets in your blood.  Someday I hope to find a pre-64 in good shape as yours. There are some faster rounds I believe but not by that much and not done back in the day when walnut and steel ruled the day in rifles.

Dave..

• Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 7:37 PM, Historian said:

Yeah.  That's the centerfold in Guns and Babes Magazine.

Wow...a rifle you wish could tell it's story.  A true classic.

Love the checkering on it.

This is one of those true classics that only a true rifleman could understand.

Thanks,  It is my favorite rifle from my youth.  I still remember the day I brought it home with 2 boxes of Norma ammo.   Got me into reloading also, one thing I could afford at a time.  My favorite load was a Sierra 52 grain HPBT over IMR 4350.  It was hell on the woodchucks on the farm.

I have a 22-250 Ruger rifle of the same era but somehow never warmed up to that cartridge at all. 

Dave..

7 minutes ago, DrB said:

Thanks,  It is my favorite rifle from my youth.  I still remember the day I brought it home with 2 boxes of Norma ammo.   Got me into reloading also, one thing I could afford at a time.  My favorite load was a Sierra 52 grain HPBT over IMR 4350.  It was hell on the woodchucks on the farm.

I have a 22-250 Ruger rifle of the same era but somehow never warmed up to that cartridge at all. 

Dave..

I had a girlfriend in college with a 22-250. It was a bit of an odd lifeforms girl.I thought but she loved it.

These are wonderful memories. Non-gun people don't get triangular of history.

I have the pistol that was issued to me at my first police department. Purchased it by chance a few years ago.

We need things like this.

My bet is everyone here has their gun story.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Historian said:

My bet is everyone here has their gun story.

We all do,  I have many stories from my youth. I grew up in the days of polished blueing and wood, no polymer or plastic.  Well except for the Colt SP1 I bought for $300 some dollars back then. Yea I still got it..

Dave..

1 hour ago, blueiron said:

I always wanted a Swift chambered rifle. The only reason I never bought one was the short life of barrels with the Swift cartridge and I was nearly always broke when I was younger and shot a lot. 

I think the barrel steels got better in the later years so that put that to rest if I remember correct.  We all pushed the swift to it's outer limits plus, it was part of the game.  I know I did.  I don't  know how many rounds mine has had through it through the years but the barrel is still fine.  I'm more conservative now with it but just for old times I still touch off a few of the super hot ones to re-live knowing a round is going downrange over 4,000 fps.

Dave..