Who are you?

r3dot

Well. I'm no longer actually Sgt127. I'm retired Police Sgt127. 32 years in Texas in the DFW metro. 

Fantastic run. Enjoyed every minute of it.  

I was retired for 48 hours and started my new job at a University. Working with a bunch of my old friends. My Chief was my beat partner and SWAT partner for 15 years. (He was the overachiever of our group) 

Two adult (sort of) boys. Going to college. Quiet house in the county. We have a few cats. 

I collect Police badges among other stuff. I'm kind of Known in badge collecting circles.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Huskerbuttons said:

We're trying to hit them all too. Just doing it slowly, at least until I retire. Organ Pipe and Terlingua / Big Bend are on next years list. 

Dude, as near as I can figure, Big Bend is gonna take about a week. Unfortunately, I had 4 hours in the evening to give the park. So I drove in from the NW, stopped at the VC, and drove out the NE. The park is HUGE, and quite isolated. Make sure you load up on provisions at one of the gateway towns, Alpine or Marathon, on the way in, because there ain't much, close by. I don't know if Terlingueño is still on GT, but he may be able to point you in the right direction. Don't count nps.gov out as a valued resource, either.

Organ Pipe Cactus is super isolated as well. You def chose a couple that are out there!  Make sure the VC is going to be open when you're there. It's nice to actually talk to someone who knows the area and the dangers. Again, stop at either Ajo or Gila Bend to provision up. Since you're right there (ish), venture on into Sonora to the Pinacate Parque Nacional. Just DO NOT speed in Sonoyta.

Any help I can give ya, say the word!

• Like 2

• Administrators

That's me, with the Garand. Those are my brothers and one of my nephews. I went from being a soldier, to a mechanic/car painter, to a self-taught IT guy, web developer, programmer and webmaster. And here I am.

BrothersShooting.JPG.0b61e0f8632afbb51af2bd4ee41c758f.JPG

• Like 10

9 hours ago, tadbart said:

Dude, as near as I can figure, Big Bend is gonna take about a week. Unfortunately, I had 4 hours in the evening to give the park. So I drove in from the NW, stopped at the VC, and drove out the NE. The park is HUGE, and quite isolated. Make sure you load up on provisions at one of the gateway towns, Alpine or Marathon, on the way in, because there ain't much, close by. I don't know if Terlingueño is still on GT, but he may be able to point you in the right direction. Don't count nps.gov out as a valued resource, either.

Organ Pipe Cactus is super isolated as well. You def chose a couple that are out there!  Make sure the VC is going to be open when you're there. It's nice to actually talk to someone who knows the area and the dangers. Again, stop at either Ajo or Gila Bend to provision up. Since you're right there (ish), venture on into Sonora to the Pinacate Parque Nacional. Just DO NOT speed in Sonoyta.

Any help I can give ya, say the word!

I love big bend but yeah, it's huge. Only thing I don't like is all the driving. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2017 at 2:33 PM, Grabbrass said:

Well, I'm older and as fat as always. Actually I'm within about 10 lbs of my HS graduation weight, so that's something I guess. Still fat though.

50yo, lawyer. Was a prosecutor for some years, but that job wears you down. Then I did workers' comp for about 10 years, but that job wears you down. Now I represent the DMV against people who get a DUI, making sure their driver's license gets revoked for a while. It's a living, and so far hasn't worn me down. Actually, there's a lot of job satisfaction and a lot less stress than full-blown prosecuting.

My wife's Japanese, we were introduced about 18 years ago by a mutual friend, because I had lived in Japan in the early 90's for a couple years. We have a 25 yr old son from her first marriage who's in the USAF, a 14 year old daughter in 8th grade who's pretty impressive on the violin, and we had a son in 2005 who had Rett Syndrome, which took him from us at 23 months old. Although I've been registered at GT since 2001, I was gone from the site for 5 years while we lived through all that. 

Me with my daughter, inside the Kamakura Daibutsu.

OT8O5fC.jpg

That's this thing.

5MtPmlH.jpg

Nice write up. :cheers:

29 minutes ago, KBKEITH said:

I don’t give away too much about myself. That’s me in my avatar. I am 49 and work as an engineer in the semiconductor industry. Guns and beer are my main hobbies. Get enough beer in me and I might tell you more. ;)

Do you like Pina Coladas? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1