high school reunions , who goes

ASH

i graduated in 87  , never been to a reunion  ,dont care too,  i saw i guy i went to school with other day , i was with my wife and grand kid , he said are    ________________ ? i said yeah , said he didnt 

know it was me with big beard and hair pulled back in a man bun lol , yeah i know  shush.  said he thought i was dead  lol . i really didnt like him in school was i was trying to be nice , he said why havent you came to any of the reunions  and i  said " well i didnt like have the mfers in school to start with why would pay 100 bucks to show up and see them getting drunk at a bar .  my wife had 

to walk around the corner to laugh .  i mean seriously   i told him i have looked at the reunions on face book  maybe once , i said lets you got brainics who got treat like **** from jocks then the hippies , then the preps  ,  now all of a sudden everyone gets together and chom by ya  moments ?? like everyone loves everyone now ?  he gave me the weirdest look  , i mean seriously  like the nerds who got picked on daily and beat up are now friends with jocks ?  is it me or does that sound stupid .  i told him at the 35th reunion tell everyone to kiss my ass.   

im not holding on to the past i just dont give a **** bout them lol . i lost 8 friends  in car wrecks  during high school . they were my cliche ,  and future farmers of america. and shop class.  

do yall go  ??

Went to my 10 year one.  Same cliques of people hanging together egos and all that crap.  Reminded me of the high school hallways and days from before.  Never went to another one.

Dave..

Edited by DrB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went to my first one or two but  People acted like they were still in school.  They seemed like they didn't mature much at all.  I found that I really had little in common with them and just ignored the invites. 

My last was an Impromptu 55 year reunion, and the numbers were so low that they had it in a bar in town.  I think I got a letter saying 5 or 10 people were there.

I religiously got invitations because my "first teen heart throb", that lived two doors down from me was on the reunion committee, and she was friends with my wife, so I got invites every year anyway.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Dric902 said:

I’ve never been to one, don’t really have any interest in going to one

I graduated and moved the next day.  Didnt tell anyone from school. Moved over 1000 miles away. Needless to say...I wont be going.

Poof! Devil in the deep blue sea. Vanish on the air you'll never find me.

Pretty much my retirement plan as well. Just going to be there one day and not the next.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

I didn't go to my senior prom, have not gone to any reunions, and don't intend to. I hated high school, and have no desire to relive or reminisce about a single moment, especially with a group of people that I did not like. The 3 guys I graduated with that I were tight with felt the same, and they have all since passed away.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Historian said:

Pretty much my retirement plan as well. Just going to be there one day and not the next.

Same plan as me.  The day I retire I'm outta there, no parties, lunchens or receptions.  Those folks I respect are those who left and were gone.  I enjoy talking to them when we cross paths..  Those that retire and keep hanging around are those folks I never liked anyhow.

Dave.

• Like 2

Went to a few of them, including the 50th which was probably the final one for my class. A good friend from those days persuaded me to go. Saw a few people each time I had been friends with while in school, as well as some teachers I had appreciated, so I guess they were worth my efforts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Never been to one. I recently blew off my 30th reunion. My circle of friends was small but well chosen. Even scattered across the US we're connected on social media and occasional meet up when schedules align. Aside of remembering a couple of names the rest of them would be little more than a room full of strangers to me. No animosity, just no interest. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrB said:

Same plan as me.  The day I retire I'm outta there, no parties, lunchens or receptions.  Those folks I respect are those who left and were gone.  I enjoy talking to them when we cross paths..  Those that retire and keep hanging around are those folks I never liked anyhow.

Dave.

That's the way I wanted it when I retired from the navy.   I told them I didn't want a ceremony but when I walked into the shop on my last day, everyone was standing in ranks.  Even the frickin Admiral was there.   After making a show of giving me my retirement certificate and end of tour awards, the Admiral asked me to say a few words.  So I said, "If I ever run into you mugs on the streets, let's pretend that we never met."  Then I walked out.  The Admiral was not pleased, let me tell you.

• Like 1

I've been to a few since I graduated in '87, and I've skipped more.  I don't bother with the ones that charge $100/plate.  If it's a cookout in the park or a night at a bar near my parents' house, I consider it.  I've kept in regular contact with 2 of the friends I had, and neither of them ever go.  There are a half dozen other people I'd like to see, but they've never been at the ones that I've been to, so I've lost any real desire to go.  Being the braintrust/geeks, most of us didn't enjoy the Lord of the Flies  aspects of high school.  Also, I did have a couple nutball PETA freaks get loudly pissed at me at one of the earlier ones because I said I gave up vegetarianism for hunting tasty Bambi, and I was like, WTF?  You didn't know me well enough in high school to know why I was a vegetarian in the first place (factory farms and feedlots, not an issue with killing my food), and you aren't bothered by all the other people at your table eating steak, what the heck is your problem?  The biggest amusement to going is seeing how people have aged.  There's a certain amount of schadenfreude in seeing old, fat  cheerleaders that wouldn't give you the time of day as teens... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I went to the 20 year one in 2002. Skipped the 25. Will probably go to the 30, and then move out of state. I stayed local, and have a few close associates from school still.
If you went to the 20 in 2002 you missed the 30th. Sorry to break it to you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I've been to a few, but I've avoided most of them.  An old friend was bugging me to go to the last couple and when he called me up from the last reunion, I felt sorry for him and picked up the phone.  Then the butt head handed the phone to somebody else while claiming they wanted to see me.  It put everybody on the spot and I ended up at the reunion.  It was the same old dynamic with all the jocks lording over the proceedings and snubbing the rest of us.  And the big surprise was that the people I didn't like in High School were still butt heads at the fortieth.  The really weird thing was they had this sandwich board up on the stage with pictures of all the people who had passed.  One of my best friends was one of them.  I suppose at the next one, there will be more. 

• Like 1