AR 15's

DrB

Are the Smith Sport 2's goo for a knock around rifle?  I bought 2 Colt 6920's when they could not sell them.  Both with Magpul furniture, unfired. Now I was offered way over 3 times what I paid for them so they are going to be set aside.  If the Smiths are good to go I will pick up up one.  Opinions??

Dave..

Then I got to thinking, I have a bunch of Anderson lowers so i might just want to build one up also.  Any Ideas here?  I would want M4 style with good components.  I also have a LMT lower I could use to make something nice..  Ideas to consider?

Still going to go look at the Smith though.. 

Dave...

I hate the front sight and handguard of the sport 2, but...…. for the cheap price they are if you are not needing a defensive gun I would say grab it. If you want a good defensive gun that you will add a light and any other accessories to, build one yourself. 

I ordered Colt insulated handguards from CDNN $7.99 on sale.  For that price if they are crap no big loss.  Going to order a Larue trigger and a cheap red dot then I am done for a kick around rifle.  On the farm not much over 100 yards, 120 would be stretching it for a safe shot.  Anything longer and out comes the .220 Swift. ( My love for that round is a story for a different day)  As I said this is a utility rifle nothing more.

Red dot sights that won't break the bank any ideas here??

Tkanks Dave..

22 minutes ago, Historian said:

Gadzooks!  A .220 Swift...there's a round that most people have never had the pleasure of getting to know. 

Yepp..  I was all of 18 in 1970 and read an article in Guns and Ammo I think.( Could have been a year or 2 later, memory fades)  "The lore of the .220 Swift"  Ruger had just chambered their M77 heavy barrel varmint in it.  At the local gun shop in passing I asked.  Damn they had.  Young and broke I put in on layaway anyhow....  The Journey Began.  A long story but I do love the Swift to this day, love that rifle.. Still have it..  Dave..

Edited by DrB
  • Like 1

Ok I hijacked my own thread.... But the crack and sound when a heavy load of IMR 4350 and a Sierra 52 grain hollow point boat tail going downrange is unique.  Always brought a smile...   The 22-250 never had that for me and I have shot both.

Dave..

38 minutes ago, DrB said:

Yepp..  I was all of 18 in 1970 and read an article in Guns and Ammo I think.( Could have been a year or 2 later, memory fades)  "The lore of the .220 Swift"  Ruger had just chambered their M77 heavy barrel varmint in it.  At the local gun shop in passing I asked.  Damn they had.  Young and broke I put in on layaway anyhow....  The Journey Began.  A long story but I do love the Swift to this day, love that rifle.. Still have it..  Dave..

Gotta ask does it have the barrel it came with?  That bullet is a screamer!

17 minutes ago, Historian said:

Gotta ask does it have the barrel it came with?  That bullet is a screamer!

Yes all original.  Now that I think, it was 1972.  If your interested, I'll get it out and post a picture or two in a different thread. Beware though... the lure of the Swift may suck you in as it did me.....  Dave..

Dave..

Edited by DrB