Trio of Indiana judges suspended after drunken parking lot brawl that left two of them shot

pipedreams

Something is seriously wrong when things like this happen.

"Judges Andrew Adams, Bradley Jacobs, and Sabrina Bell were attending a judicial conference in Indianapolis in May when they gathered at a bar to drink for several hours before deciding to head to a strip club called the Red Garter. The establishment was closed, so at around 3:15 a.m., they wound up at White Castle, instead."

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/14/779339897/3-indiana-judges-suspended-after-white-castle-brawl-that-left-2-of-them-wounded?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=npr&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/judges-involved-shooting-indiana-white-castle-suspended-without-pay-n1082706?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Ricordo said:

Maybe. Maybe not. They sound like fun Judges to be around with.

I mean, who could have any objections about White Castle burgers?

True but the state saw the three judges as "gravely undermined public trust in the dignity and decency of Indiana's judiciary."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pipedreams said:

"gravely undermined public trust in the dignity and decency of Indiana's judiciary."

Having attended a couple of Judicial Conferences meself, I can agree that the three Judges probably went "a shot too far". Either that or they can't hold it well.

The tabs I paid were impressive. No wonder I was chosen as the designated drunk driver. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Exit Plan said:

experiencing the richness and diversity of the modern Urban bio sphere

:)

I don't know what happened there. But the times I spent with them during the get-togethers were one of the most comfortable. Everybody armed, mostly Judges, one bodyguard ( a Nunzio?), and the cards to flash.

The reporting doesn't disclose that any of the Judges were carrying. I find that odd. It's not like they can't pocket carry a .44. Figuratively, of course.  Reporting seems odd and quite incomplete.  

• Like 1

I have to say this about Judges. They are a special breed.

Think about this. They spend most of their days having people trying to fool them. With all the tricks in the book. Day in, day out. Week after week. Month after month.

And that's only their relatives. :)

Of all the groups that I've interacted with, Judges are truly special folks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ricordo said:

I have to say this about Judges. They are a special breed.

Think about this. They spend most of their days having people trying to fool them. With all the tricks in the book. Day in, day out. Week after week. Month after month.

And that's only their relatives. :)

Of all the groups that I've interacted with, Judges are truly special folks.

This what was so surprising to me, I just have a hard time believing this sort of conduct.  Guess I'm wrong but I see them knocking back a few in private comfortable setting rather than on the wild side.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, pipedreams said:

This what was so surprising to me, I just have a hard time believing this sort of conduct.  Guess I'm wrong but I see them knocking back a few in private comfortable setting rather than on the wild side.

These were pretty much my thoughts, also. 

• Like 2

There is no doubt that in any jurisdiction that I can think of, the Judges involved would have been sanctioned. Having said that,  the measure of their behaviour was not deemed by the Indiana Supreme Court egregious enough to warrant nothing more than suspensions. It is easy to see that such behaviour would reflect in a negative light to the Judiciary as a whole, given the presumed publicity that I can assume it attracted.

But the bottom line is that the infractions committed by them can be boiled down to the following:

1) Flipping the bird. It can be argued that that act by the female Judge initiated the chain reaction;

2) Public intoxication at 3:15 AM (?).

Regarding the first one. Judges do that regularly in the Courtroom with carefully selected words and a show of the gavel. It is assumed that it was a reaction to something that the attackers did or said to the group. The mistake lay in "escalating" the situation by that show of emotion. Possibly, if the Judge had not flipped it, the situation would have ended. And the way things are, that's a big "if" nowadays.

Regarding the latter, what can I say? Public intoxication at 3:15 AM (?) in a street in downtown Indianapolis.  It is argued that it was public because they were walking in a public street, which is indeed an element  of the crime. But really, at 3:15 AM? Again, it's the publicity that the incident attracted that was the knocker.

Some might argue that it was their intention of visiting a strip joint that did them under. Really? Where else could you get a drink and a show at 3:15 AM in downtown Indianapolis? :)

I see it this way. That's what resolves the issue for me. That fact only came to light because the Judges were open, candid, honest, straightforward, and aboveboard about it. And that's what I look for in a Judge. They could've hidden that fact and merely stated that they were headed to the White Castle. Who else would know? 

No group has exclusivity to 100% conduct (enhanced rationality), 100% of the time in their daily lives. We are all sinners. 

I'd be honored to have a drink and some White Castles with those Judges.

1 hour ago, pipedreams said:

Have to agree with you that once they were aware of their deeds they didn't try conceal them.  Bet they don't do that again!!

Nah. Those Judges are straight-shooters, they're born that way. Their candidness is commendable, those Judges are honest people. Unlike, what? Better than 96% of the population?

What I would suspend them for is that they were unarmed but I would gladly serve them as their designated drunk driver.  Honored to watch their backs in the rare event we were stopped.

EDIT: About 99.8% of the Judges I've met are exactly like that. Good, honest, candid folks.

Edited by Ricordo
  • Thanks 1