Muzzle Brakes

Maser

We all know the infamous 9mm vs .45ACP or AK vs AR arguments, but it seems we don't see the muzzle brake arguments anymore.  So let's fire up them old embers shall we?  So what do you think of muzzle brakes?  Love them?  Hate them?  Don't care?

For me personally, I hate them simply because they don't do what they're suppose to do.  Hard kicking handguns don't bother me in the least.  Hard kicking long guns on the other hand do indeed annoy me.  I have been shooting guns since I was 3 years old and just haven't seen any effective muzzle brakes.  I mean if you're going for making a gun twice as loud then yeah, muzzle brakes work great for that, but as far as recoil reduction, I see no difference between a bare muzzle and a braked muzzle. 

Your turns guys and gals!  Oh, and I didn't post this in the Arms Room simply because this topic may turn tongue-in-cheek and I feel the Arms Room is for more serious gun talk.  

Edited by Maser

i have some Experience with a few different types.

as far as AR i prefer the BCM Gunfighter Mod 0-its a little of a Brake and Flash hider and compensator to work well in all of those aspects and does`nt piss anyone beside you off so much they hate you,and it does keep the muzzle on target through multiple rounds fired

Griffin Arms flash Comp is also a great mix of both loud but it keeps the muzzle dead flat,you really do want to use the Blast Shield if your shooting with anyone or indoors because you will be hated.

i never used a comp or Brake on a pistol that i owned and any i fired seemed to be just added weight to minimize lift.

and only ones i recall had barrels ported and were .454 Casull or .500 Smiths

34 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

I have one on a custom rifle in .416 Remington. Tames it right down. My brother's and I all had the Weatherby Accumark in .30-378 Magnum. It's painfully loud even with hearing protection. Don't ever shoot it without protection. None on my Hawg Leg magnum revolvers. 

This right here. I had one on a 300 Weatherby, and it really helped. Just couldn't hunt with it. First deer I shot left me deaf for a week. Had that ****** cut off, and barrel recrowned.  Now it kicks like a damn mule. Pick your poison.

15 hours ago, MDLOTT said:

This right here. I had one on a 300 Weatherby, and it really helped. Just couldn't hunt with it. First deer I shot left me deaf for a week. Had that ****** cut off, and barrel recrowned.  Now it kicks like a damn mule. Pick your poison.

Seems like ear plugs would have fixed that issue.

16 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Know what is loud? A Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. Obnoxious to shoot.

.44 mag in 4-3/8", shooting 240 grain JSPs in front of 23 grains of H110.

Got the attention of the shooter two benches over, and he was shooting a 7mm Mag.

I go plugs and muffs on that combo.

My "defense" handloads for that thing have 23.6 grains of H110.  Hit like a freight train.  On both ends.

Edited by SC Tiger

Several of my guns have brakes, they work well. 

Really depends on the brakes and/or purpose.

As a rule, I don’t like brakes on hunting rifles. But both my 458 Lott I use for backing up bear hunters, and my 300 WSM sheep rifle wear brakes. And make a pretty significant difference in recoil. 

Almost all of my AR’s wear a brake as a sacrificial blast baffle/suppressor host. The AR-10 is pretty awful. It’ll blow a full soda bottle off the table next to me. 

6 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

Got the attention of the shooter two benches over, and he was shooting a 7mm Mag.

My "defense" handloads for that thing have 23.6 grains of H110.  Hit like a freight train.  On both ends.

Shoot a Blackhawk in .30 Carbine at that range and they;ll want you to leave.

14 minutes ago, AK_Stick said:

Several of my guns have brakes, they work well. 

Really depends on the brakes and/or purpose.

As a rule, I don’t like brakes on hunting rifles. But both my 458 Lott I use for backing up bear hunters, and my 300 WSM sheep rifle wear brakes. And make a pretty significant difference in recoil. 

Almost all of my AR’s wear a brake as a sacrificial blast baffle/suppressor host. The AR-10 is pretty awful. It’ll blow a full soda bottle off the table next to me. 

AR's just looking out for you.  Soda is bad for you.

49 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

I've had both a 30 carbine Blackhawk and custom 5 inch Blackhawk and even with maximum WW296 loads in the 44, the 30 carbine with standard GI ball ammo was louder. Plugs and muffs were a must with the 30 carbine Blackhawk but recoil was just about non existent and it was a damned accurate gun. Mine was an old model with a 3 digit serial number.

It's true that muzzle brakes work if they're designed right. The Clark conversion for 460 Rowland designed for the 1911 works very well and so do the muzzle brakes for the 50 BMG rifles.

Edited by Borg warner

1 hour ago, SC Tiger said:

Really?  I always figure the .30 carbine was more in the .357 range of obnoxiousness.

It's a rifle round. Puts the .357 to shame when it comes to noise. Very loud out of a revolver. I've had and shot a couple of them. I have also owned and shot a few .357 Maximums. Still have a Dan Wesson. No comparison. BTW, I shoot all manner of hand cannons including short barrels, large bores. 

Nothing I own has a muzzle brake on it.  I don't necessarily dislike them.  If I put one on anything, it would be my Featherweight - all the other .308s around here are so heavy that the recoil isn't bad enough to justify the expense.  If I'm shooting something all day long for a class, it's a .223, which doesn't have enough recoil to worry about.  The heavier stuff is for hunting, or a single AQT just to prove I can do it with that particular rifle, so 3 shots to sight it and 40 shots for test,  and I'm finished.  Better optics, and silencers, are much higher on my future acquisitions list.  YMMV, and that's ok.

On 11/15/2019 at 3:16 PM, AK_Stick said:

Seems like ear plugs would have fixed that issue.

Im in GA. Hearing the deer is important. In dry leaves, you can hear a deer several hundred yards away. You rarely see a deer at this distance. Ear plugs obviously make hearing difficult.

23 hours ago, MDLOTT said:

Im in GA. Hearing the deer is important. In dry leaves, you can hear a deer several hundred yards away. You rarely see a deer at this distance. Ear plugs obviously make hearing difficult.

I just put my plugs in before I shoot. Or wear electronic ear pro.

I was firmly on the not wearing ear plugs to hunt so I could hear, but since I started carrying ear plugs I’ve yet to have it cost me an animal. 

300 Wby seems like significant overkill on lower 48 deer though. 

On 11/17/2019 at 10:20 AM, railfancwb said:

Wonder how the Automag III in 30 carbine compares to the Ruger Blackhawk in 30 carbine from the noise standpoint.
48a2e55775c899baf1b16cbbc93ba9c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'd have to get it to work first.  As I understand it, on AMT guns that wasn't easy.

2 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

I just put my plugs in before I shoot. Or wear electronic ear pro.

I was firmly on the not wearing ear plugs to hunt so I could hear, but since I started carrying ear plugs I’ve yet to have it cost me an animal. 

300 Wby seems like significant overkill on lower 48 deer though. 

It is of course. I bought the rifle when I was much younger. It's never failed to do its job, however. 

• Like 1