Lever guns

Wayward Son

Interesting. One point he was wrong on is that lever guns aren’t available in semi-automatic pistol calibers. Not true! I have several friends who shoot Uberti 1873s chambered in .45 ACP. Not sure how they did it, but it can be done. Most of them shoot those rifles in Wild Bunch matches which require a 1911, a lever rifle chambered in .40 or above, and either an 1897 or Model 12 shotgun. For Wild Bunch I have a 1911, an Uberti in .45 lc, and an 1897. For CAS my pistols and rifles are all .357/38 special.

I remember ads in Shotgun News a long time ago when South American LEO were regunning, they were trading Winchester Model 92s chambered in .45ACP. Guess that caliber had been selected to complement their 1911 style handguns.

And incidentally a 1911 magazine makes a fine speed loader for a single action in .45ACP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I was a radio operator in the Navy I was monitoring message traffic from a Navy group of a destroyer and I forget the other types of ships on a "good will" tour through the Great lakes.
On their way to Chicago they ran into a storm. I believe it was three ships.  They sent out damage reports of severe damage on some of the ships. 
The Commander of the group said he had never seen such severe waves and weather in all his experience in the Oceans.  The severity of the storm was blamed on the shallow lake being whipped up by the storm. They had superstructure damage on the DE that required dry dock repairs.

It is said the Lake Superior never gives up her dead.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

It is said the Lake Superior never gives up her dead.

Superior is very cold. When a body sinks, it never develops gases from decomposing.

the result is that they don’t float back to the surface

• Like 2

On 1/8/2020 at 9:56 PM, railfancwb said:

Believe some of the Great Lakes have tides.

Yes they do.  Lake Erie is the shallowest and the storms come up but quick.  Was out in a boat once when a storm kicked up over 8 ft. waves, visibility near zero.  When we got got back in, I needed to change not only my underwear but my pants socks and shoes as well.  It was that bad.

Now back to the original topic.... 

Dave..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2019 at 3:54 PM, Borg warner said:

I'm with you, I like the blued guns better than the brass. That side loading Henry also comes in 38-55 and 35 Remington, two calibers that being a reloader, I actually like more than the 30-30. At this time, the side loading guns do not come in any of the pistol calibers.  That doesn't bother me, though, I don't consider the side gate loading more "traditional" than the tube loading since the tube loading I actually the original way the First lever actions (the original Henry's) were made.

And the Tube loading really has no real disadvantage but cowboy shooters don't like it because it doesn't look like what they consider traditional and worse yet it's slower to reload for competition. But for hunting, you aren't going to need a fast reload and what's nice about the tube is you can empty the magazine without cycling the cartridges through the action which is what many people like about clip-fed rifles.

Clear plastic tubes with plastic caps are marketed toward those with rimfire rifles with tube loading. Cut the plastic tubes to magazine capacity, fill, then quick load. Or don’t cut the tubes - just count. 

Suspect the idea could be adapted to center fire rifles with tube loading as well. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Clear plastic tubes with plastic caps are marketed toward those with rimfire rifles with tube loading. Cut the plastic tubes to magazine capacity, fill, then quick load. Or don’t cut the tubes - just count. 

Suspect the idea could be adapted to center fire rifles with tube loading as well. 

I've got a couple of those somewhere that are designed for .38 special loading 10 rounds.  They're pretty common in CAS.

27 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Also FWIW, a number of gunsmiths offered modifications of the Winchester Model 92 and to a lessor extent the Marlin 1894 to modern revolver cartridges - mostly 38/357 and 44 special/magnum. Doubt those modified ones surface often. 

You can buy Marlin 1894's in 38/357 and 45 lc new, no mods needed.  They can be modified to run very fast.  The current world record for 10 shots out of a lever action rifle is 1.57 seconds by Smokestack and Deuce Stevens  Smokestack is running an Uberti. 

Deuce Stephens is running a Marlin

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-1894/model-1894cb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2