Lever guns

Wayward Son

23 hours ago, Historian said:

Henry Lever .22 magnum with octagon barrel.  All blued.  It's a work of art.  The only thing i want to change is a brass front site and a larger loop lever. 

I have a small game field about 20 minutes from my home....and this thing is so wonderful...such a lovely rifle...i can hear the theme from The Rifleman play each time i pick the rifle up.   It shoots bloody straight as well. 

This is going to get me some yote pelts.

image.jpeg.6ba0a3629de63533e8170390e99444a5.jpeg

In my mind...i just posted a picture of myself.   Call me delusional.  Just not late to dinner.

Here are some pics of the Sure Hit brass sight I had installed on my youngest son’s Henry. I also had a trigger job and had it short stroked.

972C5E7C-80ED-45C7-B7D3-62BA5114ECBF.jpeg

3017D8A3-FCB9-415D-9AEB-EB5C4683756C.jpeg

C5F8D1A8-983E-4723-859A-89957875FD72.jpeg

Edited by Wyzz Kydd
  • Like 2

Interesting. One point he was wrong on is that lever guns aren’t available in semi-automatic pistol calibers. Not true! I have several friends who shoot Uberti 1873s chambered in .45 ACP. Not sure how they did it, but it can be done. Most of them shoot those rifles in Wild Bunch matches which require a 1911, a lever rifle chambered in .40 or above, and either an 1897 or Model 12 shotgun. For Wild Bunch I have a 1911, an Uberti in .45 lc, and an 1897. For CAS my pistols and rifles are all .357/38 special.

Edited by Wyzz Kydd
  • Like 2

On 12/14/2019 at 7:01 PM, Wyzz Kydd said:

Interesting. One point he was wrong on is that lever guns aren’t available in semi-automatic pistol calibers. Not true! I have several friends who shoot Uberti 1873s chambered in .45 ACP. Not sure how they did it, but it can be done. Most of them shoot those rifles in Wild Bunch matches which require a 1911, a lever rifle chambered in .40 or above, and either an 1897 or Model 12 shotgun. For Wild Bunch I have a 1911, an Uberti in .45 lc, and an 1897. For CAS my pistols and rifles are all .357/38 special.

There are conversions available. 45, 10mm, are popular.

https://www.rangerpointprecision.com/single-post/2015/05/09/Marlin-1894-Pistol-Caliber-Carbine-Conversions-10MM-40SW-45ACP-357SIG

Edited by Dric902
  • Like 1

Range report:  Shot the Henry 22 magnum and i have serious regrets.

Serious regrets that did not make this purchase many years ago.   Sweet heavens a lever action like i've never shot before. Standing at 40 yards with iron sites i was drilling out a playing card.  Moved the card out to 50 yards and was hitting nicely...i love this rifle.

The only thing that stops me from putting on one of the brass sites is i like the hood on this rifle.

I've got a WMA area 20 minutes from home that is limited to shotgun and rimfire.    I can't wait to get out there.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Historian said:

Serious regrets that did not make this purchase many years ago.   Sweet heavens a lever action like i've never shot before. Standing at 40 yards with iron sites i was drilling out a playing card.  Moved the card out to 50 yards and was hitting nicely...i love this rifle.

The only thing that stops me from putting on one of the brass sites is i like the hood on this rifle.

I've got a WMA area 20 minutes from home that is limited to shotgun and rimfire.    I can't wait to get out there.

Hahaa.. Yep you can get hooked... Glad you like it...  Now go get another in .22 Long Rifle. They have some nice ones there also.

How about a pump?  I am considering that option....... I don't know if you are the age to remember the gallery guns and shooting at the carnivals  and county fairs.  I did so i am wanting one of those.

Dave..

Edited by DrB

11 minutes ago, DrB said:

Hahaa.. Yep you can get hooked... Glad you like it...  Now go get another in .22 Long Rifle. They have some nice ones there also.

How about a pump?  I am considering that option.......

Dave..

I have a nice Browning lever .22 and she's a darling.  Matched with a Leupold VX-1 Rimfire she's quite a package.  I am thinking of leaving the .22 magnum without one.  It's one fine site on it already.

A pump would be a nice idea for sure.  Would rather have one in .35 Rem.   But that's a different thought.

Edited by Historian

47 minutes ago, Historian said:

I don’t know where you live, but the smith who did the trigger work and short stroke on my son’s Henry is about 10 minutes outside Chattanooga. Let me know if you want contact info.

Edited by Wyzz Kydd

26 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

I don’t know where you live, but the smith who did the trigger work and short stroke on my son’s Henry is about 10 minutes outside Chattanooga. Let me know if you want contact info.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.  I am in North Coast Ohio up by Lake Erie.  I am unlucky as I always seem to lose my guns in the Lake or crossing the river in a canoe up here. 

Dave....

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

I'm lucky to have a real gunsmith where I live...(South Eastern US) who's been smithing almost as long as I've been alive.  He loves what he does.   Honestly, he belonged in Dodge City a century ago.  

Shortening the stroke might be a nice thing to do.  I'd like to add the large loop lever.  That way I don't look like a green horn.

Edited by Historian

13 minutes ago, DrB said:

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.  I am in North Coast Ohio up by Lake Erie.  I am unlucky as I always seem to lose my guns in the Lake or crossing the river in a canoe up here. 

Dave....

Alligator filled swamps...it's a shame.  No one should travel through these infested swamps.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Historian said:

Alligator filled swamps...it's a shame.  No one should travel through these infested swamps.

No alligator swamps up here but we do seem to lose a lot of things in the winter ice fishing on thin ice...

ZDave..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Historian said:

Honestly, ice fishing, really you guys need to have a mental health check,  :) Just kidding.

You haven't lived until you are driving a car on a Minnesota lake that's 7 miles across and received no snow before it froze over. 

The ice is Black and so is the exposed water, where the cracks form.  Not to worry, the brakes stop the car after about 1/4 mile of sliding. 

Here, it is recommended that you drive on the lakes with the doors open so you can jump out before the car sinks.

While you are sitting there on the ice, you can hear and sometimes feel the ice cracking while wondering if it's going to go through where you are!

Fun. Eh!

Just now, janice6 said:

You haven't lived until you are driving a car on a Minnesota lake that's 7 miles across and received no snow before it froze over. 

The ice is Black and so is the exposed water, where the cracks form.  Not to worry, the brakes stop the car after about 1/4 mile of sliding. 

Here, it is recommended that you drive on the lakes with the doors open so you can jump out before the car sinks.

While you are sitting there on the ice, you can hear and sometimes feel the ice cracking while wondering if it's going to go through where you are!

Fun. Eh!

Yeah.   Mental...health...check....

I'll stick to wrestling alligators.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Historian said:

Honestly, ice fishing, really you guys need to have a mental health check,  :) Just kidding.

Well we do keep the firearms economy going as we usually take our guns out to clean while waiting for the fish to bite.  Can't help it when the shanty heater melts the ice and down we go along with everything else.. The Coast Guard is cool though.  They  pull us out but our guns are gone though.

Dave..

Edited by DrB
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DrB said:

Well we do keep the firearms economy going as we usually take our guns out to clean while waiting for the fish to bite.  Can't help it when the shanty heater melts the ice and down we go along with everything else.. The Coast Guard is cool though.  They  pull us out but are guns are gone though.

Dave..

Some of you may not believe it but there are a land locked lake or two in Minnesota (not the Great Lakes)  that are under the Coast Guard jurisdiction.

1 minute ago, janice6 said:

Some of you may not believe it but there are a land locked lake or two in Minnesota (not the Great Lakes)  that are under the Coast Guard jurisdiction.

There are some astonishingly large lakes in the area.  I'm not surprised. The Great Lakes act like seas.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, janice6 said:

Did not know that. Thanks...  When we get to ice fishing up there we will keep this in mind when we sink...

Dave..

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrB said:

Did not know that. Thanks...  When we get to ice fishing up there we will keep this in mind when we sink...

Dave..

I don't believe they work in the Winter...…….  Just a guess.

2 hours ago, Historian said:

There are some astonishingly large lakes in the area.  I'm not surprised. The Great Lakes act like seas.

When I was a radio operator in the Navy I was monitoring message traffic from a Navy group of a destroyer and I forget the other types of ships on a "good will" tour through the Great lakes.

On their way to Chicago they ran into a storm. I believe it was three ships.  They sent out damage reports of severe damage on some of the ships. 

The Commander of the group said he had never seen such severe waves and weather in all his experience in the Oceans.  The severity of the storm was blamed on the shallow lake being whipped up by the storm. They had superstructure damage on the DE that required dry dock repairs.

Back to the lever action rifles.  I absolutely loved my 1886 model Winchester (reputed to be that old) firing a .33 WCF cartridge.  It was like watching a fine watch internals when going through the motions.

It was so smooth that I could flick the lever and it would continue the complete throw by itself. Then back to battery with nary a sound.  I love fine machinery and this was among the best.

My father got the rifle in trade for a month or two rent from two Mormons, going to the college near our apartment houses.  I was (IIRC) 12 years old and had long experience with a .22 rifle before this.

It was a little heavy, but a dream to carry in the Minnesota dense North woods.  I loved the cartridge for woods and brush, the gun itself was great to carry in heavy brush with a usable length..

It wasn't abused and reeked character.

Edited by janice6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I don't believe they work in the Winter...…….  Just a guess.

When I was a radio operator in the Navy I was monitoring message traffic from a Navy group of a destroyer and I forget the other types of ships on a "good will" tour through the Great lakes.

On their way to Chicago they ran into a storm. I believe it was three ships.  They sent out damage reports of severe damage on some of the ships. 

The Commander of the group said he had never seen such severe waves and weather in all his experience in the Oceans.  The severity of the storm was blamed on the shallow lake being whipped up by the storm. They had superstructure damage on the DE that required dry dock repairs.

I was on Lake Erie when a storm whipped up.  Those waves kicked up 8 ft. at least.  The shallow water will kick up the waves but fast  Combined with the lack of visibility we were lucky to get back in.  That was enough for me...

Dave...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DrB said:

I was on Lake Erie when a storm whipped up.  Those waves kicked up 8 ft. at least.  The shallow water will kick up the waves but fast  Combined with the lack of visibility we were lucky to get back in.  That was enough for me...

Dave...

Shallow water can be treacherous in high wind.  My last boat was an I/O and it was capable of planning in 3 foot waves.  I would fish till the rain started then race to the dock.

• Like 1