My other black rifle

furetto7

Sterling AR-180.   Short stroke gas piston, stamped steel construction, reciprocating bolt handle for easy forward assist, side folding stock.  I somehow managed to lose the factory magazine and am too lazy to modify one of my many aluminum AR15/M16 magazines to work.  It shoots decent but has a rather wobbly butt stock latch so there is some side to side movement in the butt stock.  There is a proprietary scope mount welded to the top so optical sights are more or less out of the picture without major modifications to the upper receiver.

AR180_Right.JPG

AR180_Left.JPG

AR180_Markings.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:12 PM, furetto7 said:

Sterling AR-180.   Short stroke gas piston, stamped steel construction, reciprocating bolt handle for easy forward assist, side folding stock.  I somehow managed to lose the factory magazine and am too lazy to modify one of my many aluminum AR15/M16 magazines to work.  It shoots decent but has a rather wobbly butt stock latch so there is some side to side movement in the butt stock.  There is a proprietary scope mount welded to the top so optical sights are more or less out of the picture without major modifications to the upper receiver.

AR180_Right.JPG

AR180_Left.JPG

AR180_Markings.JPG

I happen to have a Sterling made AR 180 too, with the propriety scope sight and a couple mags. A post AR 15 design, the AR 18 or 180 in semi auto was intended to be an easily manufactured weapon that could be made in almost any country with less set-up cost than the AR 10 or AR 15. The AR 18 was tested in small numbers in Viet Nam with good results, but by that time the US had invested bucu bucks in the AR 15/M 16 platform. I have always felt if the AR 18/180 had gone through all the development the M 16 did, it may well have turned out to be a better, less costly weapon. 

• 3 months later...