Sign in to follow this  
Doc McGlock

Cast slugs

Over at Mosbergowners.com, there was a long running thread about using birdshot, melting the pellets and casting "Lee Slugs" and returning the slug to the original shell.  Supposedly, the recoil was much better and the round easier to handle.   Have any of you tried this?  

Edited by Doc McGlock

Seems like that would have a high degree of failure.  Plenty of branded low recoil shells out there.

Edited by CalmerThanYou

I cast my own rounds for my smoothie northwest trade gun flintlock.  Essentially slug rounds, they are .600 diameter.  I use a Lee mold.  For short range they work fine. 

Nope.  I think you don't want antimony (that will be in shot), you want pure lead.  That said you could probably get away with it, but I wouldn't do it. 

Any of my lead slug loads (published Herco data) are anything but light on recoil.

On 9/26/2017 at 9:52 PM, Doc McGlock said:

Over at Mosbergowners.com, there was a long running thread about using birdshot, melting the pellets and casting "Lee Slugs" and returning the slug to the original shell.  Supposedly, the recoil was much better and the round easier to handle.   Have any of you tried this?  

I've cast a lot of slugs, shot a lot of slugs, tried to cast shot and that failed, have casted and shot a lot of #4 and 000 buck.

I've NEVER taken the shot out and recast it as a slug and shot it. I do have a couple of the Lee slug molds and shot them plenty.

IMHO, they are talking total BS. Powder charges, projectile weight, weight of the firearm and pressure curves are the only factors affecting recoil.

The one ounce slugs I've loaded over a "trap charge" for one ounce of shot, do not recoil any noticeable difference than any other shot shell and I've shot at least hundres of them and thousands of the same loads with shot.