The Click and Smell of a Zippo Lighter.

DrB

I do not smoke but carry one around here on the farm in the fall for starting brush and leaves up.  Always love the distinctive click when opened, the sparks of the flint and the smell of the fluid lighting.  Is part of fall for me every year. Don't miss the burning on the leg when I overfill though. 

Dave..

Edited by DrB
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Valmet said:

I haven’t had a cigarette for nearly six years but I dream about it still, following the click and smell of the classic zippo. 

I quit after I got out of college many many years ago.  Still love the classic click...  It's in my blood of the things I love..  Dasve..

• Like 3

• Administrators

I smoked for fifteen years. I bought a camo Zippo in the PX in Basic and carried it for years. Some ******* stole it off my table at a nightclub, when I was in my mid-twenties.

The thing that I don't miss about it is the chemical burn you'd get on your leg, if you overfilled it. You wouldn't realize it was getting you until it had gotten you. Anyway, I got a lot of miles out of that lighter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Eric said:

The thing that I don't miss about it is the chemical burn you'd get on your leg, if you overfilled i

I'm left handed, I have a big patch on my left leg that hair does not grow to this day..The Zippo Leg.

Dave..

• Like 3

I was recently smoking outside an airport when a Chinese girl (obviously didn't speak American) motioned for a light.  I handed her my zippo.  She deftly opened and lit it.  But then she didn't know how to put it out. 

She waited, and looked at it, for a couple seconds,  then she waved it around,  which made the flame whip into a fireball,  then she panicked and threw it on the ground,  3' away.

She seemed embarrassed.  I thought it was funny.

• Thanks 1

I haven't carried mine in decades.  While bone dry right now, I still keep them nearby.

IMG_20191109_210004518.thumb.jpg.234b567c6a5d2ff49a9a88361507e543.jpg

I never smoked, but still found occasions where they were handy, not to mention they're just fun to fiddle with. Way better than fidget spinners.

I never noticed the chemical burn problem, but then, I carried mine in my back pocket, so I can't really say if hair is still growing evenly in that area or not!

9 minutes ago, Maccabeus said:

I never noticed the chemical burn problem, but then, I carried mine in my back pocket, so I can't really say if hair is still growing evenly in that area or not!

Pull down your trousers and we'll check for you.

:biggrin:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I bought some new ones,  and I never knew they existed, or how long they've had them;  Zippo "Armor".

The case is 1.5X thicker!!  woooo!

And, yes, you can tell.  The 'click' is way clickier and louder,  and the shell is noticeably thicker.

Other than that,  it's pretty much the exact same.

1 hour ago, Huaco Kid said:

I was recently smoking outside an airport when a Chinese girl (obviously didn't speak American) motioned for a light.  I handed her my zippo.  She deftly opened and lit it.  But then she didn't know how to put it out. 

She waited, and looked at it, for a couple seconds,  then she waved it around,  which made the flame whip into a fireball,  then she panicked and threw it on the ground,  3' away.

She seemed embarrassed.  I thought it was funny.

You had to open them  by holding your thumb against the bottom while snapping your index finger down the cap.  When it popped open, then you snapped your fingers against the wheel causing it to light.  Any other way wasn't "cool".

• Like 1