Lack of shop classes is why we’re $1.6T in student debt

pipedreams

image.png.7ab7ffb30fb5e7b4b4f6ec2136f5a008.png

"“Forty years ago, colleges needed a PR campaign,” Rowe said. “We needed more people to get into higher education ... We told people, 'If you don't get your degree, you're going to wind up turning a wrench.'"

As a result, alternative education was pushed aside and led to the removal of shop classes nationwide, Rowe said."

https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/mike-rowe-dirty-jobs-shop-class-student-debt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pipedreams said:

image.png.7ab7ffb30fb5e7b4b4f6ec2136f5a008.png

"“Forty years ago, colleges needed a PR campaign,” Rowe said. “We needed more people to get into higher education ... We told people, 'If you don't get your degree, you're going to wind up turning a wrench.'"

As a result, alternative education was pushed aside and led to the removal of shop classes nationwide, Rowe said."

https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/mike-rowe-dirty-jobs-shop-class-student-debt

I worked in technology.  I loved it.  I worked with hand and power tools in my off time.  I loved it too.  Different tasks can provide an equivalent sense of accomplishment.

Dirty hands are a tangible sign of accomplishment.  It's surprising how many people in STEM also believe in physical effort for themselves.

The same schools that try to teach you what to think, instead of how to think, spurned trades people.  Many professors claim that if you don't aspire to be one of them, then you are a "lesser person".  

Some think that the classes you attended are more important than what you have learned.  All people make this world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i`d say that without good teaching its impossible to do most Service jobs Math,Science and reading are much needed in any vocation.

you have to be able to see,interpret and recreate.

being inspired to work with your hands is usually all a bright person needs to start.

schools now don`t teach,they just tell..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I learned how to weld in it's various forms, I was surprised at the extent of knowledge in metallurgy a good welder had to possess, to do certified welding and to ensure the highest quality weld interface to the parent metal.  

Case in point.  The proper welding current to start with is 1 Ampere of welding current per mil (0.001 inches)  of material thickness.  Arithmetic!

There are few fields of endeavor where you simply depend on brawn and strength to do the job.  And these types of jobs are more suited to a machine since they don't require thinking to accomplish the task.

Knowledge is, and always will be, King!

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2