Turkish delight

Nestor

Well, after 2 months of waiting with the import process it's finally here. $350 1911 made in Turkey. Basic pistol. Came pretty dry in a cardboard box with one 7 rounds magazine. Didn't clean it yet, so it's just a very initial impression. Very nice machining. Cast frame, looks like a forged slide and cold hammer forged barrel. Plastic grips, GI sights (surprisingly well visible). Magazine drops free, trigger feels...dry and needs some love. Except for the lowered ejection port it's early WW2 configuration. However it's pretty tight. With the hammer back I can't hear any rattling going during the shake test. Grip safety works as it suppose to. Feeding ramp is polished along with the throat (that looks like 2 o'clock to 10 o'clock). Smooth trigger face. Parkerized finish and lovely handling characteristics. No surprise there. More to come soon.

kPXfPPB.jpg

3CW3LbH.jpg

cxyNyz5.jpg

RZJxuiZ.jpg

lBfGxl6.jpg

bFnjcEg.jpg

EyJBCp8.jpg

nZpSshk.jpg

GvgBs0Y.jpg

AST4nZK.jpg

WZOMFJr.jpg

gYD0IWm.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

It's November 11th and I finally got a few minutes to take the pistol apart. Machining of the slide is impressive and nothing is rising any red flags as far as I can see. It's forged I believe with different grain, texture and even color than the frame. Frame is a OK. Less impressive than the slide (or barrel). Plunger tube appears to be glued and not pinned. Dust cover area is fairly thin, more so than usual I would say. Most small parts are MIM. Other than that...all in norm. There are some faint leftovers of parkerizing on feeding ramp and less so on the barrel throat. Rifling is very well pronounced, and barrel appears to be very solid. It's cold hammer forged. I oiled all the parts and have couple of observations to share. Initially the pistol came very dry. Trigger was bit gritty. Recoil spring is heavier than standard - just not sure by how much. After cleaning and oiling the trigger pull improved. It's still fairly heavy, but 1911...properly smooth. I actually like it now. Racking the lubricated pistol is also easier. Soon I'll take it out to the range to see how it works in the cold. As You can see - I swapped the plastic grips for Hogue walnut ones. Looks much better to me. Thanks!

aItdHRL.jpg

mf8xeN7.jpg

Dpcvgag.jpg

xgICcto.jpg

9TMAUgD.jpg

lZvpJ3j.jpg

Cynt354.jpg

DJKHug5.jpg

T7n4TS2.jpg

UY9PnVy.jpg

v1mjcKT.jpg

wwFNr90.jpg

by0Fxef.jpg

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Nestor said:

It's November 11th and I finally got a few minutes to take the pistol apart. Machining of the slide is impressive and nothing is rising any red flags as far as I can see. It's forged I believe with different grain, texture and even color than the frame. Frame is a OK. Less impressive than the slide (or barrel). Plunger tube appears to be glued and not pinned. Dust cover area is fairly thin, more so than usual I would say. Most small parts are MIM. Other than that...all in norm. There are some faint leftovers of parkerizing on feeding ramp and less so on the barrel throat. Rifling is very well pronounced, and barrel appears to be very solid. It's cold hammer forged. I oiled all the parts and have couple of observations to share. Initially the pistol came very dry. Trigger was bit gritty. Recoil spring is heavier than standard - just not sure by how much. After cleaning and oiling the trigger pull improved. It's still fairly heavy, but 1911...properly smooth. I actually like it now. Racking the lubricated pistol is also easier. Soon I'll take it out to the range to see how it works in the cold. As You can see - I swapped the plastic grips for Hogue walnut ones. Looks much better to me. Thanks!

aItdHRL.jpg

mf8xeN7.jpg

Dpcvgag.jpg

xgICcto.jpg

9TMAUgD.jpg

lZvpJ3j.jpg

Cynt354.jpg

DJKHug5.jpg

T7n4TS2.jpg

UY9PnVy.jpg

v1mjcKT.jpg

wwFNr90.jpg

by0Fxef.jpg

Very nice!

• Like 2

An update for You Guys. Couple of warm days here, so I booked one off and drove to the range. Decided to do 200 rounds break-in with 100 FMJ Winchester white box and 100 Herter's FMJ. Both 230 grain. I tossed in 2 Ed Brown's 7 round magazines to the mix to see how the pistol will perform with the aftermarket magazine.

Bad:

- The trigger is still pretty gritty and heavy, so it takes more effort than usual to be accurate with the pistol, but it's certainly able to deliver more than I can. I'll wait till 1000 rounds mark to see if the trigger job will be required.

Good:

- Sights are actually decent and I may paint the front sight with orange nail polish, but otherwise I'm satisfied with them.

- Not a single problem of any kind during 200 rounds session. Pistol ejected the empties around 1.5 meter to the right, no failures to feed...no nothing. Ran 100% and smooth!

- All the magazines were dropped free.

- No signs of any dings on the casings, positive firing pin strikes.

3KNuR4i.jpg

I tried to learn the trigger. Initially it took me 11 rounds to knock down 6 steel plates at 15 meters. By the end I was able to do the same trick with 7. I need more practice and paint the front sight.

YvNIwwC.jpg

This is the very first magazine. 7 rounds at 5 meters.

40FmD1z.jpg

Rapid fire (as quickly as I was able to work the trigger) at 3 meters. Red circle. Plate is 8 inches wide. One hole at the bottom is actually an attempt of a single hand shooting at 25 meters (I don't know how they are doing it - I missed 6 out of 7).

c9QIVnl.jpg

Empties retrieved from the snow. No visible deformation or other issues there...

ubSpicN.jpg

c7Q8EpQ.jpg

3 meters slow fire.

BYHJVjD.jpg

5 meters...very slow fire.

Z1Fr8dU.jpg

As you can see, I decided to put my gym gloves on to prevent any chance of hammer bite. I don't think it happened though. Top of my palm was barely pink from the recoiling gun after 200 rounds.

ptZP65R.jpg

7sGEVmR.jpg

So far, so good. Dirty gun at the end of the day.

Wr5hMvz.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ok, took it apart for cleaning and I can share some more information. Plunger tube is pinned not glued, but the pins appear to be hollow inside. The smaller ones for ejector are what appears to be the roll pins, but the ejector is pinned, which sure is a good news. With better light I was able to see more details. No unusual wear. Trigger is still GI awful, but workable. Nice touch is the pattern on the front of the trigger (take a look at one of the pictures). You will be able to see the molding marks on the hammer and slide stop. Comes with $350 price tag I guess, but MIM hammers are typical those days on even more expensive guns. Cleaned, re-assembled and ready for more of good time. Initial impression - very positive and hoping for trigger pull to improve, as this is the only downside so far. Cheers!

iOHe6DS.jpg

TM3ZvIb.jpg

J680omh.jpg

utdbQRI.jpg

zJ4aDaI.jpg

nSLetxf.jpg

ioIrpzY.jpg

3elgeTT.jpg

SS94GC9.jpg

4X6oB81.jpg

4coXNPa.jpg

RNWDB0z.jpg

2xATOaC.jpg

sG93lWC.jpg

IAL5MRq.jpg

Edited by Nestor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/22/2019 at 10:53 PM, Nestor said:

An update for You Guys. Couple of warm days here, so I booked one off and drove to the range. Decided to do 200 rounds break-in with 100 FMJ Winchester white box and 100 Herter's FMJ. Both 230 grain. I tossed in 2 Ed Brown's 7 round magazines to the mix to see how the pistol will perform with the aftermarket magazine.

Bad:

- The trigger is still pretty gritty and heavy, so it takes more effort than usual to be accurate with the pistol, but it's certainly able to deliver more than I can. I'll wait till 1000 rounds mark to see if the trigger job will be required.

Good:

- Sights are actually decent and I may paint the front sight with orange nail polish, but otherwise I'm satisfied with them.

- Not a single problem of any kind during 200 rounds session. Pistol ejected the empties around 1.5 meter to the right, no failures to feed...no nothing. Ran 100% and smooth!

- All the magazines were dropped free.

- No signs of any dings on the casings, positive firing pin strikes.

3KNuR4i.jpg

I tried to learn the trigger. Initially it took me 11 rounds to knock down 6 steel plates at 15 meters. By the end I was able to do the same trick with 7. I need more practice and paint the front sight.

YvNIwwC.jpg

This is the very first magazine. 7 rounds at 5 meters.

40FmD1z.jpg

Rapid fire (as quickly as I was able to work the trigger) at 3 meters. Red circle. Plate is 8 inches wide. One hole at the bottom is actually an attempt of a single hand shooting at 25 meters (I don't know how they are doing it - I missed 6 out of 7).

c9QIVnl.jpg

Empties retrieved from the snow. No visible deformation or other issues there...

ubSpicN.jpg

c7Q8EpQ.jpg

3 meters slow fire.

BYHJVjD.jpg

5 meters...very slow fire.

Z1Fr8dU.jpg

As you can see, I decided to put my gym gloves on to prevent any chance of hammer bite. I don't think it happened though. Top of my palm was barely pink from the recoiling gun after 200 rounds.

ptZP65R.jpg

7sGEVmR.jpg

So far, so good. Dirty gun at the end of the day.

Wr5hMvz.jpg

Good to see a dirty gun after it has had a good days work.

Hope the trigger improves without needing extra work.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2

On 11/25/2019 at 4:38 PM, Fnfalman said:

I'm learning all my life. Assuming it's at least somehow true. I mean about American spirit. I can tell You for sure, that the Poles in such situation will look at the passing troops and say something along the lines:

"What are you staring at.... you f!@##$! Now, f$$%# off, go and kick some German ass instead of looking for a lover here. Buahahahaha!"

They wouldn't even try to look any better if they were miserable"

Edited by Nestor
trying to make sense
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
36 minutes ago, wjv said:

Nice!  Especially at that price.

Some of the best shooting 1911s i've ever shot were not $4,000 models.

Kinda hard to beat a Springfield 1911a1.   Hell, i carried one as a duty pistol as a cop for quiet a while.

It worked.   Very well.

This Turkish pistol seems to be as a good!

Edited by Historian
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...