The WAAAYYYY Too Late 2019 College Football Thread

SC Tiger

Arkansas is in a tough spot. Hard place to win and recruit at. Lobbed in between SEC and Big 12 country. A lot of teams to recruit against. I don’t know if it’s viable for them to fire Chad Morris. The guy isn’t head coaching material but there’s some more opening jobs coming soon so who do you go for? 

If Gus gets let go at Auburn, I suppose him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pisco said:

By the way, Ed Orgeron in the locker room after beating us:

”We’re gonna beat their ass in recruiting. We’re gonna beat their ass every time they see us. Roll tide what? **** you!”

Stay classy O

Something he said to his players after arguably the biggest win of any team this season?  Go show the doctor where it hurts the most.  Good lord.  Grown men in a locker room. 

bama fans are some are worst ,   and their coach is a doushe     talk about not classy.     LSU  kicked their ass ,  31 home winning streak gone  and done ,     a monkey could coach bama  .seriously  they get all the best players every year they should  not  lose a game period.   Ed  has heart and it wears it on his sleeve.  im not even a college football fanatic  but  bama makes it so easy to not like them , 

5 hours ago, ASH said:

bama fans are some are worst ,   and their coach is a doushe     talk about not classy.     LSU  kicked their ass ,  31 home winning streak gone  and done ,     a monkey could coach bama  .seriously  they get all the best players every year they should  not  lose a game period.   Ed  has heart and it wears it on his sleeve.  im not even a college football fanatic  but  bama makes it so easy to not like them , 

Well I'm a big Bama fan, sorry if the fact that Bama is the best college team ever and Saban is the best coach in the game chaps your butt so much.  

They played a good game.  I've been saying it for years now, Coach O is a great coach and I hope he continues to do well down in the bayou.  LSU is a perfect fit for him.

I think Bama's chances still look pretty good.

The rankings will come out tomorrow and I suspect people may be surprised and unhappy with what they will look like. I think it will be something like this:

1. OSU

2. LSU

3. Clemson

4. Alabama

5. Georgia

6. Oregon

7. Penn State

8. Utah

9. Oklahoma

10. Minnesota

I don't see Baylor or Minnesota jumping into the top 4 and of the one loss contenders Bama's is the strongest, losing to the #2 ranked team whereas Georgia, Oklahoma, Oregon and Penn lost to inferior opponents (relative to LSU), no insult intended to Minnesota who are looking more and more like the real deal.

Bama needs to win out, enjoy the break, and hope for an OSU loss to Penn or Michigan just for insurance.

On 11/9/2019 at 9:26 PM, Pisco said:

It was one hell of a game. Proud of Alabama playing to the end. We couldn’t stop their offense. I was wrong about Joe Burrow. That dude won the Heisman in my opinion. LSU ain’t gonna lose the rest of the way. 

Tua had a bad first half, but when you go off for 418 and 4 td’s on one leg, you’re a bad ass. I know everyone is praying Alabama doesn’t make the playoff. You’ll just have to wait and see how the other teams do. Penn State losing will help.

I’d say right now BAMA will fall to six in the polls. I think come Tuesday, the rankings will be LSU, Ohio State, Clemson and Oregon. Probably need PSU to beat Ohio and the PAC 12 to **** themselves up. Could happen maybe 

LSU may well be the best team in the country.  I think it's between them and OSU.  Clemson has talent and a lot of pieces but the defense - while it's doing well - just doesn't have all the horsepower needed to stop a really high-end offense consistently IMO.  Lost too much on the front end last year.  The guys up there now will be great in time but just too young right now.  Help is coming via recruiting though and a year of off-season workout.

But I tend to poor-mouth my team a lot.

On 11/10/2019 at 12:03 AM, Pisco said:

Arkansas is in a tough spot. Hard place to win and recruit at. Lobbed in between SEC and Big 12 country. A lot of teams to recruit against. I don’t know if it’s viable for them to fire Chad Morris. The guy isn’t head coaching material but there’s some more opening jobs coming soon so who do you go for? 

Auburn has been trying to fire Gus since they hired him.  IMO they should keep him, but he should leave first good offer he gets.  If FSU or Arky call, he should bolt.  I get that watching Alabama win championships is frustrating but he's done well there overall.

On 11/10/2019 at 12:09 AM, Pisco said:

By the way, Ed Orgeron in the locker room after beating us:

”We’re gonna beat their ass in recruiting. We’re gonna beat their ass every time they see us. Roll tide what? **** you!”

Stay classy O

I'd be willing to say though that those kind of thing happens in locker rooms all the time.  Will Muschamp (SC Head Coach) made a comment about Dabo Swinney's wife hitting on him one year during some preseason stuff.  You talk **** about Ms. Kathleen, you have an entire team ready to absolutely destroy you and piss on your grave.  She's kinda like the "team mom."  That year Clemson DESTROYED SC.  Embarrassed them.  They made it hurt.  That was the year Mike Williams carried two SC DBs into the end zone. 

Dabo and Muschamp do not like each other.

Clemson is catching hell for "running the score up" on NC State.  The same NC State coached by a guy who was bragging about this after this game in 2016:

That is TEXTBOOK Targeting - what we used to call spearing.  IMO Dabo and Clemson will destroy NC State every chance they get.  Embarrass them.  Take joy in the tears of their women.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 11:03 PM, Pisco said:

They didn't have a choice after getting blown out by WKU.  It was a team barely above 500 and they looked like a playoff team against the hogs.  The team had just given up playing for Morris. 

There have been successful seasons at Arkansas before under Petrino and Nutt.  They have to get a proven coach who has shown he can build a team and succeed on the field.  Brett and Chad had not shown that.  Norvell from Memphis is probably high on the list.  A friend of mine from the gym is high on Skip Holtz.  I am not sure Gus wants to coach at Arkansas again, this time as a head coach.     

19 hours ago, Pisco said:

From what I’m hearing, Gus leaving Auburn will depend on what happens against UGA and BAMA. I agree with this. A lot of their fans are ready to see him go.

I can't figure out why though.  He's done pretty well there, and has come as close to anyone to stopping the Alabama machine......

I know he's had some down years here and there but IMO Gus' seat has been hot ever since he first sat in it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

I can't figure out why though.  He's done pretty well there, and has come as close to anyone to stopping the Alabama machine......

I know he's had some down years here and there but IMO Gus' seat has been hot ever since he first sat in it.

Well he definitely had the greatest turnaround season in college football history in 2013. Going from 3-9 under Chizik to 12-2 and almost beating Florida State for the National Title. 

Since then, he’s only beaten LSU, UGA and BAMA twice respectively. His last good season was two years ago when he beat UGA and BAMA when they were both #1. Then got rolled by UGA in the SEC Championship 28-7 and lost to UCF in the Peach Bowl. 

His offense isn’t that hard cause he runs certain formations on certain downs. Watch the film and you can figure it out. He hasn’t consistently won enough to meet their expectations so that’s why. 

• Like 1

I think Bama has several paths to the playoffs.  Obviously they have to win out. 

If OSU win out, which is highly likely, Minnesota is out. If they don’t it’s going to be chaotic. 

If OK wins out, Baylor is out. 

Now we’re down to three ranked undefeated teams. 

If UGA loses to Auburn, Bama moves up.

If UGA loses to Texas A&M Bama moves up.

If UGA wins both and loses to LSU in the SEC championship Bama moves up. 

If Clemson loses to S.C. Bama moves up. This isn’t as long of a shot as some think. S.C. is a sleeper.

Three of the top four have to win out and LSU lose to UGA for Bama not to get back in.

OK could be a sleeper to sneak by.

11 hours ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

If Clemson loses to S.C. Bama moves up. This isn’t as long of a shot as some think. S.C. is a sleeper.

Not sure on this one.  SC play Clemson tough usually, but honestly they don't have anywhere near the horsepower that Clemson does.  Clemson is literally better at every position except maybe the 9 WR, where Edwards is a stud (not sure if he plays the 9 but wherever he is......).  I mean, it could happen.  Their coach is also having to fend off talks of being fired, though that can go both ways.

If Clemson weren't in line for the CFP it might almost make some sense to LET SC win this one.  They'd sign Muschamp to a ten-year extension, and having that idiot down there at HC is GOLD for Clemson.  

People put too much on that win at Georgia IMO.  I'd say that was more of a screwup on UGAs part.

I'm more concerned about Wake honestly, though they are without two top WRs.  But they have a solid QB, good RBs and are VERY well coached.  I'm kinda pissed they are without the WRs - would have been a good test for Clemson's DBs.  That said, they did lose to Louisville (62-59 - defense took the day off I guess) and VT.

IMO if the top three hold serve and win out, and Baylor beats OU, then they are #4.  As they should be.  

If they don't and Oregon wins out, they are #4.  The committee wants to get a Pac-12 team in if possible.

IMO Alabama should be completely out of it barring something really strange.

Well it went from bad to worse. Tua dislocated a hip and is done for the year.  I know people are asking why was he still in the game up 35-7. 

The kid wanted to play. Mac Jones was ready to come in but Tua wanted to play another series. It’s an unfortunate accident. You can’t just play your top guys in the big games. Not to mention he was still in the Heisman race. Don’t know if he would have beat out Joe Burrow but he would’ve been there as a finalist.

As far as BAMA playoff chances, it’s bleak. Minnesota lost to Iowa and I’m rooting for OU to beat Baylor but we’ll have to wait and see.

If we don’t make the playoff, it’s cool.  Not gonna make it every year. I’ll take the Sugar Bowl vs OU or Baylor.

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Pisco said:

Well it went from bad to worse. Tua dislocated a hip and is done for the year.  I know people are asking why was he still in the game up 35-7. 

The kid wanted to play. Mac Jones was ready to come in but Tua wanted to play another series. It’s an unfortunate accident. You can’t just play your top guys in the big games. Not to mention he was still in the Heisman race. Don’t know if he would have beat out Joe Burrow but he would’ve been there as a finalist.

As far as BAMA playoff chances, it’s bleak. Minnesota lost to Iowa and I’m rooting for OU to beat Baylor but we’ll have to wait and see.

If we don’t make the playoff, it’s cool.  Not gonna make it every year. I’ll take the Sugar Bowl vs OU or Baylor.

never understood why teams up a bunch of points keep their stars in ,  and its every sport  ,  after they lost to LSU   TUA could barely walk off the field , and didnt he have surgery

on ankle this year.  its on the coach  to make the right calls ,  and Saban just wants to  win like alot ******* coaches ,  i hope the kid recovers   but  not taking him out might have just cost Tua and his family millions  . bone head .  and im all for a mercy rule  of a team is down  so man points call the game  ,these people are playing russian roulette with these kids .. 

and no i dont hate bama or any other team its just their fans are nuts and there is more to life then football .  Saban well most know what he is .  and they found out today .  im a tarheel fan  love basketball , they never have done much in football ,but it does not bother me , i just hate to see kids making all this money for their schools and get treated badly. 

Edited by ASH

I went to the Navy v Notre Dame yesterday. First time at ND. Some really great fans who are true ambassadors of the sport. No trash talking, in spite of my Navy hat. Great plays were applauded, no matter who made them. It was like being an extra on the set of “Rudy”.

FWIW, several folks from the Orange Bowl committee were on the sidelines. 

• Like 1

never understood why teams up a bunch of points keep their stars in ,  and its every sport  ,  after they lost to LSU   TUA could barely walk off the field , and didnt he have surgery
 on ankle this year.  its on the coach  to make the right calls ,  and Saban just wants to  win like alot ******* coaches ,  i hope the kid recovers   but  not taking him out might have just cost Tua and his family millions  . bone head .  and im all for a mercy rule  of a team is down  so man points call the game  ,these people are playing russian roulette with these kids .. 
and no i dont hate bama or any other team its just their fans are nuts and there is more to life then football .  Saban well most know what he is .  and they found out today .  im a tarheel fan  love basketball , they never have done much in football ,but it does not bother me , i just hate to see kids making all this money for their schools and get treated badly. 

Can’t have a mercy rule. Would reduce concession sales. Watching the Oklahoma-Baylor game, mercy rule might have given victory to eventual loser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interestingly, Alabama sidelined Jalen Hurts in favor of Tua Tagovailoa. Jalen Hurts dominated the second half of the Oklahoma-Baylor game.

6 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Can’t have a mercy rule. Would reduce concession sales. Watching the Oklahoma-Baylor game, mercy rule might have given victory to eventual loser.

I mean like being up 40 at end of 3rd quarter. It will never happen because of big money and boosters thou. I know if I was gonna be a lottery pick and we had big lead i would not get in a big tackled scrum and offense i would go down if people were bearing down on me   .it's a business and I would not jeprodize millions    now if I sucked and knew I would never play NFL i would play and enjoy my college life

On 11/16/2019 at 8:10 PM, Pisco said:

That really sucks for Tua.  He seems like a really good guy and is a helluva QB.  Hope he recovers fully.

As to the score - see Oklahoma/Baylor.  Clemson keeps Trevor Lawrence in at 28-7.  But then again Trevor's mobility wasn't compromised.

On 11/16/2019 at 8:53 PM, ASH said:

If they don't play him vs Mississippi state, that is effectively admitting they played him when he wasn't healthy.  Now, you can get around that by saying he tweaked his ankle in practice or something.  Or say his mobility was compromised or something.

22 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Interestingly, Alabama sidelined Jalen Hurts in favor of Tua Tagovailoa. Jalen Hurts dominated the second half of the Oklahoma-Baylor game.

There is a damn good reason Alabama sidelined Hurts.  Tua was/is twice the QB at Alabama.  But Hurts fits the Oklahoma system I guess.

Clemson had Deshaun Watson out there vs SC in 2014 on a torn ACL.  But the team doctor basically said he couldn't do any more damage to it by playing, if they braced it properly.  Plus they have to wait a few weeks after the injury to do the surgery anyway.  Better results that way.

Jalen will always be Alabama, but Saban had to do something to win the National Championship game in 2017. 

Let’s not forget Jalen had the National championship won in 2016 but Deshaun and his receivers, who made great catches, went down the field and scored. That guy led us to back to back title games. Even got his revenge against Clemson in the semis the following year. Saban wouldn’t have pulled Jalen out vs UGA if he didn’t have a previous bad game against Auburn same season.  Jalen transferring was the right decision for him. Tua was and is the better QB overall. 

yeah i just hope what the alabama docs are saying are true and not an interior wall socket fracture , because if it is  then that what ended  Bo jacksons career . 

also duke basketball player jay williams was a top 5 pick years ago  , he bought a damn motorcycle and wrecked and had same injury and i dont think he ever 

played a full season  before having to retire . 

either way nfl teams tanking for Tua  has changed ,    teams now will have red flag next to his name ,  and if the bengals get him  god help him 

Edited by ASH

So Baylor and Minnesota are out of the playoff race.  That fourth spot is up for grabs between UGA/LSU/Alabama/Oregon and Oklahoma.  If UGA eases by LSU in the SEC championship I think the top four remain the top four, though in a different order.  If LSU beats UGA in the SEC championship then UGA is out of it and that fourth spot opens up.  Assuming Alabama, Oregon and Oklahoma win out, I don't see Oregon having an argument to get in.  Alabama will have beaten Auburn with their backup QB while Oregon lost to them.  That brings it down to Oklahoma and Alabama, and unfortunately I can see Oklahoma getting the nod over Alabama in that situation.  

Bama needs to win out convincingly, have LSU win out, and Oklahoma lose to Baylor in their championship game.  In that scenario I think Bama gets the fourth spot, otherwise I think Oklahoma does. 

I don't see Ohio State or Clemson losing, though I think USC will challenge Clemson more than expected and Texas A&M will challenge both UGA and LSU more than they expect.