The WAAAYYYY Too Late 2019 College Football Thread

SC Tiger

Ladies and Gentlemen, and assorted scalawags and degenerates, I present you with the extremely late 2019 College Football Thread.  Your Boresite home for college football discussions, arguments, questions, trash talking, insulting memes, etc.  Hopefully this will also help some of our newest members feel at home - either by a touch of nostalgia, or by annoying the piss out of them just like it did on the other site.

So - we now have what - 7 Power 5 unbeatens?  Clemson, Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, Baylor, Minnesota and Penn State.

Ohio State/Minnesota/Penn State will clear itself up by championship week if not before.  My money would be on Ohio State.

Baylor will probably lose to Oklahoma, though they might not.  

LSU/Alabama will clear itself up in a couple of weeks.

Clemson has to run the table.  Very doable, though South Carolina is looking a little bit spunkier than I thought.  Still shouldn't be within 3 TDs of Clemson though.  Schedule is what it is, but it was made years ago.  Texas A&M was SUPPOSED to be good.  Funny thing - Clemson may wind up facing UNC again in the ACC Championship Game.  That could be a good thing if Clemson can smash them, since most people basically consider Clemson's one-point win, a loss.

Oklahoma and UGA might be able to sneak back into the CFP mix, but they HAVE to run the table.  Florida might be a problem for UGA.  Oklahoma might be bothered by anyone with a defense.

Edited by SC Tiger

Well obviously with Tua’s ankle on the mend, I’m concerned about the LSU game. I think he’ll be fine and I still think we’ll find a way to pull it out but it could be high scoring.

SC, I think Clemson is playing like FSU in 2014. What real motivation do they have coming off an undefeated season? The thing is we don’t really know how good they are cause the ACC is terrible this year. A&M turned out not to be a big win for either of us. 

I think right now Ohio State is the best team and have played like it. I wouldn’t want to face them right now. If I had to pick who I think makes it, it’s BAMA, Clemson, Ohio State and maybe LSU if it’s close. The PAC-12 will **** themselves somehow. Oklahoma will have to look reaaaaaalllll impressive down the stretch.

Ohio State likely beats out Penn and Wisconsin.  I think the likelihood of either of them getting in is very close to zero, so there's one team - OSU.

If Alabama loses to LSU and LSU goes on to win the SEC then both of them will be in assuming Bama gets by Auburn.  OTH, if LSU loses to Bama and Bama wins the SEC then they both get in, again assuming LSU wins the rest of their games.  There are no one loss teams that get in ahead of these two as long as they only lose the one.  So there's two more teams in - LSU and Bama.

Unbeaten or not Baylor will not get in unless all of the undefeated teams lose badly.  They have zero impressive wins and I don't think anyone is going to be overly impressed if they beat Texas and Oklahoma, which I doubt they will do.  OK maybe they'll beat Texas.

If Clemson wins out, which I think they will, they're in.  If they lose they might still get in.  If OK wins out and Clemson loses it gets tough, the same if UGA wins out and Clemson loses.  So there's your final team, Clemson/UGA/OK.  I think it will likely be Clemson.  Oklahoma basically has a high school defense, if they did get in they would be crushed by either Bama/LSU/OSU.  Those coaches saw what K State did to them and how they did it.

Tennessee has UAB, Kentucky, Missouri and Vandy left. I think it’s pretty manageable schedule for them. 

UAB is the fourth of four crip/warmup/breather games Tennessee had scheduled this year. So far they are 1 for 3 so I don’t take anything for granted.

End of season last year UT and Vandy were both 5 and 6. Vandy went bowling...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/30/2019 at 2:27 PM, Wyzz Kydd said:

Ohio State likely beats out Penn and Wisconsin.  I think the likelihood of either of them getting in is very close to zero, so there's one team - OSU.

If Alabama loses to LSU and LSU goes on to win the SEC then both of them will be in assuming Bama gets by Auburn.  OTH, if LSU loses to Bama and Bama wins the SEC then they both get in, again assuming LSU wins the rest of their games.  There are no one loss teams that get in ahead of these two as long as they only lose the one.  So there's two more teams in - LSU and Bama.

I think OSU already beat Wisconsin pretty handily.  Now OSU has to avoid a trap game like VT a few years ago, or Purdue last year.

The LSU/Alabama thing pisses me off.  If there are four unbeatens, I think you HAVE to let them in over a 1-loss Alabama or LSU.  There likely won't be though.

On 10/30/2019 at 1:45 PM, Pisco said:

Tennessee has UAB, Kentucky, Missouri and Vandy left. I think it’s pretty manageable schedule for them. 

I'm pulling for Missouri because of Kelly Bryant.  Some Clemson fans hate him, but he gave us a good year in 2017 and I hope he does well.

On 10/30/2019 at 3:48 PM, Wyzz Kydd said:

Not Missouri, they'll be favored by about 8 points over TN.

Missouri was a pretty good team but something seems to have happened.

Meanwhile Clemson smashed Wofford, which was to be expected.  Wofford is essentially a 7th home game for Clemson.  Clemson gets in a bind because they have a rival that isn't in their conference and typically isn't that good.  So that mean they have to schedule a "cupcake" to get a 7th home game (every team does it) since the rivalry game is a home-and-home.  And Clemson elects to play in-state teams to give them the money.  NC State is up next, and Wofford might actually be the better of the two teams.

16 hours ago, Pisco said:

Game of the century 2.0 coming up. BAMA vs LSU, 1 vs 2. 

Taggart at Florida State got fired. No shock he was terrible.

"Game of the century" :rolleyes:  Maybe game of the year, but Alabama isn't that good this year IMO.  They are definitely top-10 but they aren't the Alabama of a few years ago IMO.  Injuries have gotten them.

Edited by SC Tiger

6 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

I think OSU already beat Wisconsin pretty handily.  Now OSU has to avoid a trap game like VT a few years ago, or Purdue last year.

The LSU/Alabama thing pisses me off.  If there are four unbeatens, I think you HAVE to let them in over a 1-loss Alabama or LSU.  There likely won't be though.

I'm pulling for Missouri because of Kelly Bryant.  Some Clemson fans hate him, but he gave us a good year in 2017 and I hope he does well.

Missouri was a pretty good team but something seems to have happened.

Meanwhile Clemson smashed Wofford, which was to be expected.  Wofford is essentially a 7th home game for Clemson.  Clemson gets in a bind because they have a rival that isn't in their conference and typically isn't that good.  So that mean they have to schedule a "cupcake" to get a 7th home game (every team does it) since the rivalry game is a home-and-home.  And Clemson elects to play in-state teams to give them the money.  NC State is up next, and Wofford might actually be the better of the two teams.

I don't see how we end up with four unbeaten ranked teams, pretty unlikely.  Right now there are six unbeaten ranked teams.  LSU/Bama will take that down to five, Penn/Minnesota takes it down to four, then you have Penn/OSU which takes it down to three.  The only way that doesn't hold up is if Minnesota beats Penn and Penn also loses to OSU.  Then you have four undefeated teams, Minnesota gets shorted because of strength of schedule (at that point Penn is a two loss team), and either LSU or Bama takes the fourth spot.

Of course we might get a unicorn and Baylor beat OK, but right now the odds on that are about 3:1 for OK, the same for Penn Minnesota, 3:1 for Penn.

2 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

I don't see how we end up with four unbeaten ranked teams, pretty unlikely.  Right now there are six unbeaten ranked teams.  LSU/Bama will take that down to five, Penn/Minnesota takes it down to four, then you have Penn/OSU which takes it down to three.  The only way that doesn't hold up is if Minnesota beats Penn and Penn also loses to OSU.  Then you have four undefeated teams, Minnesota gets shorted because of strength of schedule (at that point Penn is a two loss team), and either LSU or Bama takes the fourth spot.

Of course we might get a unicorn and Baylor beat OK, but right now the odds on that are about 3:1 for OK, the same for Penn Minnesota, 3:1 for Penn.

I agree.  I think we have three plus a 1-loss team.  Probably Alabama/LSU loser, though it should probably be Oklahoma (if both make it through the season with no more losses).

I'm hoping somehow UNC makes it to the ACCCG as the Coastal rep.  Would love for Clemson to smash them.

Edited by SC Tiger

1 hour ago, SC Tiger said:

I agree.  I think we have three plus a 1-loss team.  Probably Alabama/LSU loser, though it should probably be Oklahoma (if both make it through the season with no more losses).

I'm hoping somehow UNC makes it to the ACCCG as the Coastal rep.  Would love for Clemson to smash them.

Think about it.  OK lets an unranked team drop 48 points on them and either LSU or Bama loses to a team ranked in the top 3, probably a narrow loss.  And OK should get the nod?  Come on.  OK has a great offense, in the same category as Bama and LSU, but they have a horrible defense. They're allowing well over 400 yards a game against mediocre opponents.  LSU is allowing 345 and they have the toughest schedule in college ball this year.  Bama is allowing 323.  

1. i dont do sports much , but i hope LSU beats the **** out of BAMA just because of their doushe bag coach .  

clemson  has played a high school schedule  , they wont win it . with tigers schedule they should not even be allowed in the top 10 .  tarheels had them beat but called a dumb play in the end 

i think ohio state  wins it all

11 hours ago, ASH said:
  1. i dont do sports much , but i hope LSU beats the **** out of BAMA just because of their doushe bag coach .  

clemson  has played a high school schedule  , they wont win it . with tigers schedule they should not even be allowed in the top 10 .  tarheels had them beat but called a dumb play in the end 

i think ohio state  wins it all

Clemson's schedule is what it is, but there are TWO SEC teams on there.  They just both suck this year.  Not our fault A&M sucks (SC sucking is predictable).  Schedules are made years in advance.  

But if Clemson wins out, they're in.

Edited by SC Tiger

13 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

Clemson's schedule is what it is, but there are TWO SEC teams on there.  They just both suck this year.  Not our fault A&M sucks (SC sucking is predictable).  Schedules are made years in advance.  

But if Clemson wins out, they're in.

clemson  will cake walk in no doubt  .  but they wont win it .  ohio state , lsu  bama , would blow clemson out of the water.  

9 hours ago, ASH said:

clemson  will cake walk in no doubt  .  but they wont win it .  ohio state , lsu  bama , would blow clemson out of the water.  

Every year, we hear that about Clemson.  

2015 - "Oklahoma is the best team in the CFP."  Result - Clemson 37, Oklahoma 17

2016 - "Ohio State is going to destroy Clemson."  Result - Clemson 31, OSU 0

2019 - "Alabama is the best team in College FB history."  Result - Clemson 44, Alabama 16

I'm not sure this is Clemson's year - there's a reason we play these games on the field - but whoever knocks them out, is going to have to DO it.  

It was one hell of a game. Proud of Alabama playing to the end. We couldn’t stop their offense. I was wrong about Joe Burrow. That dude won the Heisman in my opinion. LSU ain’t gonna lose the rest of the way. 

Tua had a bad first half, but when you go off for 418 and 4 td’s on one leg, you’re a bad ass. I know everyone is praying Alabama doesn’t make the playoff. You’ll just have to wait and see how the other teams do. Penn State losing will help.

I’d say right now BAMA will fall to six in the polls. I think come Tuesday, the rankings will be LSU, Ohio State, Clemson and Oregon. Probably need PSU to beat Ohio and the PAC 12 to **** themselves up. Could happen maybe