What Do You Do with Your Stress?

Moshe

As most of you know, or don't, my wife's stress test was put off until November 5.  So, I sleep with my handgun on the couch, as my narrowed esophagus makes me snore.  It has nothing to do with weight, as I am not a heavy guy by any stretch.  My wife is a light sleeper.  I turn on the TV and attempt to crash out.  I head to bed when my wife is up.  Kind of like a crappy swing shift where you get about five hours of sleep a day if you are lucky.  Oh, and yes, I still know where I live despite sleep deprivation.  My go to, happy place is firearms.  The trouble is, by the time I have enough black coffee to get the mental registers going, it is time to get my teenagers back from school.  Then it is chaos from there.  Homework, and everyone to bed, except me who stares at whatever IDGO I want to watch.  But, often times I find it unchallenging.  I figure out who did what before it even ends.   There is always a red herring.  My wife decided to watch some with me before I went to bed.  "Village of the Damned."  When the two year old disappeared, I told my wife the mother killed her own daughter.  She debated me, and said, "She is crying during the press conference."  I told her that the woman was a sociopath, as when they interviewed her she had a very flat affect, considering the tragedy.  So, the next scene you see the older investigators saying, "What a good actress."  I chuckled at my wife and said, "I told you."  It turns out her two year old didn't want to go to bed when told so she smothered her to death.  Further to the depths of the depravity they let her attend the funeral of her daughter she murdered and hid in the woods.  She said, "She just should have gone to bed when I told her."  My wife declared, "WOW,, way to blame the victim.  Not only that, the waste of time for all those people going out in the snow looking for her, and resources involved."  Upstate NY is strange.  She only got 15 years for the crime.  She is running free in society today.  A sociopath that hates children.  There is a chilling thought.

i shoot a lot,as often as i can/could for normal dailey stresses.i take sometime and go out to a place i use and practice drills it gets my mind off whatever is`nt important and onto practical training and fun.

if its really stressful i wake up early cook a nice Breakfast for myself and my Wife,make Coffee fill a thermos make a nice lunch then head out to go shooting listen to Motown on the drive,plan what i`ll practice and not think about whatever is`nt happening right now.

usually works for me,take what you have going on and make it work for you,feeling anxious shoot fast.

feeling stressed shoot slow.

but i`d find out what settles your wifes mind and give her the time to do it and enjoy doing it,stress is weirdly contagious and creates vicious circles.

sometimes i`ll hang out with some old friends.

they are Hookers who provide me with a lot of Blow..

Good Luck.

• Like 1

Go out on my farm and piddle around. Drive tractor down to pond fish a little. Shoot at my range. Mostly when my grandkid is home we go treasure hunting or ride 4 wheeler on some trails  .or go to park mainly it all differs depending time  of year  .I hate this getting dark at 5:30  .the older I get it just irks me. From now thru winter in my shop a lot piddling.

• Like 3

Tennis, driving, detailing/maintaining car, shooting.

One day a few years back, I washed my car early in the morning, loaded up my firearms, drove out into the country with a friend to go shooting, came home and played tennis.

It took 4 or 5 days to feel stressed again.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, janice6 said:

When I feel stressed I work.  I find anything around the house or garage to do and pour myself into it.  I do the same when I'm mad at anything.

It beats hurting someone.

I used to sublimate everything into my work, I am retired now.  I missed every funeral of my grandparents, save one, and that was before I had a career.  I have a couple of friends left.  One is busy with cancer and being a supervisor, the other is just usually busy.  Everyone else is dead.  It is strange to count five friends that are alive and two of them are dogs.  A guy that I knew from High School, roomed as an undergrad, drove him around because he was legally bind passed this month.  I didn't know until I saw the obituary.  I have guys I cared about when I was in uniform and out that I cared about who died.  (Well, killed on duty, minus one who died just  a month after retirement).  I could drown myself in being a workaholic if I was still working, but then I would worry about the wife all day.  

For awhile when her heart rate slowed and she was using an inhaler it seemed like not enough oxygen or blood to the brain, I got to see what pissed off dementia looked like.  Once things sort of normalized I got an apology.  I didn't need one.  I understood.  But, damn this stress test is taking forever, and then finding an odd anomaly in the EKG bugs me, and waiting.  Both her parents had problems with their tickers, I want it caught early.  So, October has been an interesting month to say the least.  I am still trying to figure out how my friend died.  Retinitis (a genetic eye impairment), usually doesn't kill.  It causes permanent blindness eventually, and hearing impairment or deafness.  He could read brail.  He was only a year older than me.  I have my own genetic struggles, but fortunately not that.  Two out three brothers had it.  They were 1/4th Apace mixed with the mother who was a carrier of the disorder.  Their father was half Apache and Vietnam Vet sniper who smoked himself to death before my friend passed.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, ASH said:

Go out on my farm and piddle around. Drive tractor down to pond fish a little. Shoot at my range. Mostly when my grandkid is home we go treasure hunting or ride 4 wheeler on some trails  .or go to park mainly it all differs depending time  of year  .I hate this getting dark at 5:30  .the older I get it just irks me. From now thru winter in my shop a lot piddling.

I like the idea.  However, I hope the ranch I am looking at is still on the market to move.  22 acres with a vacant wood line at the end.  Perfect for going out the back door and shooting.  Shooting does relieve anger and stress for me.  Beating the hole out of a center of a target helps.  Though, if I can coordinate the sale of this place and the move at the same time, it would be great.  However, by then it would probably be time to throw out a deer feeder out there.  I am hoping it will work out, that way I can hunt off the back porch.  Not to mention more room for live stock.  Fishing is always relaxing, crappie are fun. They fight.  I will either have to get a tractor (I can see the wife complaining about that), to either mow or get a lot pigmy goats.  LOL.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Moshe said:

I used to sublimate everything into my work, I am retired now.  I missed every funeral of my grandparents, save one, and that was before I had a career.  I have a couple of friends left.  One is busy with cancer and being a supervisor, the other is just usually busy.  Everyone else is dead.  It is strange to count five friends that are alive and two of them are dogs.  A guy that I knew from High School, roomed as an undergrad, drove him around because he was legally bind passed this month.  I didn't know until I saw the obituary.  I have guys I cared about when I was in uniform and out that I cared about who died.  (Well, killed on duty, minus one who died just  a month after retirement).  I could drown myself in being a workaholic if I was still working, but then I would worry about the wife all day.  

For awhile when her heart rate slowed and she was using an inhaler it seemed like not enough oxygen or blood to the brain, I got to see what pissed off dementia looked like.  Once things sort of normalized I got an apology.  I didn't need one.  I understood.  But, damn this stress test is taking forever, and then finding an odd anomaly in the EKG bugs me, and waiting.  Both her parents had problems with their tickers, I want it caught early.  So, October has been an interesting month to say the least.  I am still trying to figure out how my friend died.  Retinitis (a genetic eye impairment), usually doesn't kill.  It causes permanent blindness eventually, and hearing impairment or deafness.  He could read brail.  He was only a year older than me.  I have my own genetic struggles, but fortunately not that.  Two out three brothers had it.  They were 1/4th Apace mixed with the mother who was a carrier of the disorder.  Their father was half Apache and Vietnam Vet sniper who smoked himself to death before my friend passed.

sure its stress?

i`m not a Doctor (but i played it a lot in Jr High) but.

stress and Anxiety rear themselves in similar fashions.

having a health issue like you do  and waiting on an answer to it and dwelling on the Deaths of friends and Family at the rate you seem to be would make anyone Anxious.  

when was the last time you took a Vacation?

• Like 2