Sign in to follow this  
Presguy

Anyone own a countertop icemaker?

Just curious if anyone owns a small countertop icemaker, and can offer a recommendation (or a warning against a model). I'm looking at something along these lines: https://www.target.com/p/frigidaire-ice-maker-silver-efic206/-/A-53352033

Not plumbed in - just small enough to keep in the garage for an occasional iced drink or to throw some ice into the cooler I keep in the car.

Thanks.

Edited by Presguy

We have an almost identical unit and it's great for ice for drinks...it would be very hard pressed to fill a cooler.   The other issue is that the ice once made, is not chilled so it's always melting back into the reservoir which gets funky after a few days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, HollowHead said:

We have an almost identical unit and it's great for ice for drinks...it would be very hard pressed to fill a cooler.   The other issue is that the ice once made, is not chilled so it's always melting back into the reservoir which gets funky after a few days.

Hmm.. That's good to know. The quantity doesn't worry me; my cooler is tiny. But the ice melting back would be an issue.

That aside, do you think it could make ice in a warm garage? (possibly as high as 90 in the summer, but more often in the 80s)

1 hour ago, Presguy said:

Hmm.. That's good to know. The quantity doesn't worry me; my cooler is tiny. But the ice melting back would be an issue.

That aside, do you think it could make ice in a warm garage? (possibly as high as 90 in the summer, but more often in the 80s)

I had one in my RV for a little over 2 years before it gave up on me two weeks ago. I am on the road in my RV most of the year so it got some pretty heavy use.

Once it gets going it should be fine, but it takes a bit when it is hot to get up to speed. I keep my RV plugged in when I am at home, but do not run the AC and this ice maker still seems to keep up pretty well.

Like already mentioned, the quantity of ice is not much. The hopper when full is maybe 4 or 5 cups of ice, and yes it is constantly melting, but it is also constantly making ice and keeps the hopper full.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jmohme said:

...Like already mentioned, the quantity of ice is not much. The hopper when full is maybe 4 or 5 cups of ice, and yes it is constantly melting, but it is also constantly making ice and keeps the hopper full....

Gotcha. I wouldn't be using it for big fishing or "sportsman" type coolers. I just keep a jumbo lunchbox type one in the car to bring cold drinks to the park, or my dog's refrigerated medicine home from the vet. So a small capacity would be fine for my use.

If it can hold up to 2 years bouncing around an RV, I imagine I'd get my money's worth out of it in a calmer garage setting.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Presguy said:

Gotcha. I wouldn't be using it for big fishing or "sportsman" type coolers. I just keep a jumbo lunchbox type one in the car to bring cold drinks to the park, or my dog's refrigerated medicine home from the vet. So a small capacity would be fine for my use.

If it can hold up to 2 years bouncing around an RV, I imagine I'd get my money's worth out of it in a calmer garage setting.

I agree. I have no coplaints about the two year life cycle. $50 a year is probably a lot less that what I would have spent on bags of ice.