Thinking of changing jobs

Silentpoet

Not saying I am burning out, but I am getting tired of some of the people I have to deal with.  Not so much clients either. And my pay sucks.  In part because I am a pay grade below case worker.  There is a position opening up soon which might solve the money issue but not the various stressors that are making me want change, Also I am not sure if what I am doing is the best use of my talents and abilities. I know there is something out there that could make more use of my talents and passions.

There are some private sector jobs available in this area I might be good at and within my qualifications.  The local tobacco cessation program is hiring and it would be maybe 7-8k more a year salary. 

I was thinking about getting some IT certifications. I could study for those independently and take the tests as money allows.  I built this computer and run Linux on it so I should be able to do a good portion of self teaching.  But I would need to figure out what certs would make me the most employable. This is maybe a more medium term play than short term, but I think I could get certified within 6 months if I worked hard at it. 

Long term I would like to write.  My current job makes taking a creative writing class much more difficult. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Silentpoet said:

Not saying I am burning out, but I am getting tired of some of the people I have to deal with.  Not so much clients either. And my pay sucks.  In part because I am a pay grade below case worker.  There is a position opening up soon which might solve the money issue but not the various stressors that are making me want change, Also I am not sure if what I am doing is the best use of my talents and abilities. I know there is something out there that could make more use of my talents and passions.

There are some private sector jobs available in this area I might be good at and within my qualifications.  The local tobacco cessation program is hiring and it would be maybe 7-8k more a year salary. 

I was thinking about getting some IT certifications. I could study for those independently and take the tests as money allows.  I built this computer and run Linux on it so I should be able to do a good portion of self teaching.  But I would need to figure out what certs would make me the most employable. This is maybe a more medium term play than short term, but I think I could get certified within 6 months if I worked hard at it. 

Long term I would like to write.  My current job makes taking a creative writing class much more difficult. 

Sometimes you simply have to make a change to recharge your batteries.  To rekindle the fire you had when you started.  It's not a bad thing.  It's a good thing to see new challenges and want to rise to meet them.  Occasionally the old challenges change from what they started out to be into something of little interest with too much cost.  Change, change something, change anything.  Start fresh again!

• Like 4

Money is a very temporary motivator. It may last up to 6 months and then psychologically carry you no further. 

While IT could once be a D-I-Y educational experience, employers are now expecting CIS, CS, or IT degrees at the B.Sc. or higher level. 

Find some work that challenges or motivates you. 

• Thanks 1

You work in an area that has a huge burnout percentage. And it’s well deserved.
We are about to give up on all foster care and DCS cases. We have done all we can to the point of medical harm. 

when you’ve come to the end of yourself...go

God bless all you’ve done

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Silentpoet said:

From your posts I think it may be time.  The work you do can't be easy.  

IMO you do important work but you can't let it eat you alive either.  Sometimes you gotta say "I've done all I can do" and step away.

• Like 2