texas cop kills home owner

ASH

22 hours ago, OldDad said:

That's the first thing that occurred to me. What on earth does their skin color have to do with it? I don't know why the LEO felt he had to shoot, but I'm certain it wasn't because the victim was black.

Agreed.  Everyone back lit when viewed from the dark,  looks Black.

• Like 1

Victim heard noise outside and got a handgun and pointed it out the window.

Neighborhood reportably not "nice".

Cop on the job about 1.5 yrs.

Call was not check welfare, but open door (which is less than a burglary but more in that category).

Horrific, just terrible.

One part of the mix, in my personal experience and opinion:

The war on Police has resulted in a plummeting of qualified applicants.

Q. Who wants to do this job with all the $#! + going on for just wearing a badge?

A. Less and less (both in quantity and in quality l.

Ask anyone with 20 yrs or more on about my A & B.

Warning, the answer won't likely make you feel better about where things in society are going.

One suggestion? Go out of your way to acknowledge good cops when an opportunity presents itself. It might help keep a good one around, at least a while longer.

I've seen a lot of people who came on when I did retire early to switch to a new career. Some were great cops and investigators, the likes of who's boots were filled with smaller feet.

Sincerely

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Per article.  And others it states. He called non emergency number and welfare check . But beyond all that lives have been changed forever by an idiot.       . And id bet money nobody on this board is stupid enough to shoot thru a window and follow the actions of this idiot.     there are good and people in all professions. as far as a gun in house I don't know anyone who doesn't have a gun in house. and then there is castle doctrine

Edited by ASH
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, TBO said:

Victim heard noise outside and got a handgun and pointed it out the window.

Neighborhood reportably not "nice".

Cop on the job about 1.5 yrs.

Call was not check welfare, but open door (which is less than a burglary but more in that category).

Horrific, just terrible.

One part of the mix, in my personal experience and opinion:

The war on Police has resulted in a plummeting of qualified applicants.

Q. Who wants to do this job with all the $#! + going on for just wearing a badge?

A. Less and less (both in quantity and in quality l.

Ask anyone with 20 yrs or more on about my A & B.

Warning, the answer won't likely make you feel better about where things in society are going.

One suggestion? Go out of your way to acknowledge good cops when an opportunity presents itself. It might help keep a good one around, at least a while longer.

I've seen a lot of people who came on when I did retire early to switch to a new career. Some were great cops and investigators, the likes of who's boots were filled with smaller feet.

Sincerely

Article backing up that she pointed a gun towards the window:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2019/10/15/atatiana-jefferson-pointed-gun-out-window-before-fort-worth-officer-killed-her-nephew-told-authorities/

The interim Chief of Police seems like he is being very forthcoming on this.  Not trying to hide anything or blame the victim.  

IMO - this was a tragic mistake.  The former cop will have to answer for it.  Sucks for all involved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Article backing up that she pointed a gun towards the window:
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2019/10/15/atatiana-jefferson-pointed-gun-out-window-before-fort-worth-officer-killed-her-nephew-told-authorities/
The interim Chief of Police seems like he is being very forthcoming on this.  Not trying to hide anything or blame the victim.  
IMO - this was a tragic mistake.  The former cop will have to answer for it.  Sucks for all involved.
Amen

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TBO said:

Amen

I just saw something else - FWPD is saying the officers were told the call was an "open structures" call, not a "welfare check."  The officers were not aware of the welfare check.

Not sure how it changes what should have been done or what happens now, but it sounds like a key failure may have happened earlier in the sequence of events.  It still seems reasonable that they should have announced their presence.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2019/10/14/fort-worth-officer-who-fatally-shot-atatiana-jefferson-has-resigned-chief-says/

(below the picture of the protesters)

• Thanks 1

The boy told a forensic interviewer that he and his aunt were playing video games together about 2:30 a.m. Saturday when she heard noises outside. She took her handgun from her purse and pointed it “toward the window” before she was shot, the nephew said, according to the arrest-warrant affidavit.

Interesting.  Tragic but maybe not as crazy as initially reported.        

As to LE haters who hate LE, perhaps to minimize the risks associated to responding to these calls for police service, you'd want LE responses for welfare check to be by telephone, asking "everything OK?"

And to respond to possible-burglary-call with "The homeowner will call when they're sure it was a burglary."      

Edited by PATCHMAN
  • Like 1

You can search and find a 100. Different articles and news about this and none are the same.  Let it all play out and time will tell the tale. I think he did one smart thing out of all the other things.      Don't talk to the police.                                              Doors open but screen doors closed not announcing we are police  standing by window in backyard with flashlight. Fail.  I wonder what his partner thought and said 

Edited by ASH

First reports are usually the least accurate.

Latest reports are the ones that speak to the type of call dispatched as an open door, not a check welfare.

Perhaps the caller, in his own mind, thought that's what his actions were, in his opinion, while in actuality the observations & facts he reported to the dispatcher fit the parameters of an Open Door call, which was then dispatched as such.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

I just saw something else - FWPD is saying the officers were told the call was an "open structures" call, not a "welfare check."  The officers were not aware of the welfare check.

Not sure how it changes what should have been done or what happens now, but it sounds like a key failure may have happened earlier in the sequence of events.  It still seems reasonable that they should have announced their presence.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2019/10/14/fort-worth-officer-who-fatally-shot-atatiana-jefferson-has-resigned-chief-says/

(below the picture of the protesters)

I have heard the dispatcher talking with the police on scene and the person who called to report the incident at the same time in my own county.  My daughter was a dispatcher for some time and I got into the habit of listening to her work. 

I also learned about the chain of responsibility between the caller, the dispatcher, and the police on scene.The dispatcher's ability to coordinate who is where, and who is armed, is as important as the police answering the call.  I believe the dispatcher's responsibility should have informed both sides of this issue what was happening and who was where.

I have also heard my County's dispatcher telling the cops that the caller was armed and the callers location.  It's the cop's responsibility to control the scene and through the dispatcher, make sure that the person who called puts their firearm away so the officer is not threatened and the caller knows they have protection from the officers. 

The dispatcher communicates for both sides to prevent this kind of error on both sides of the issue.  The Officer controls the scene, the dispatcher through information, controls the fear on both sides.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 3

As this was a third party calling about a possible burglary-in-progress, not sure how the caller would have advised 9-1-1 the woman had a gun in her handbag and would be drawing it. 

Maybe posters here are advising that on all burglary-in-progress calls, LEOs should respond with full lights and sirens so that all at the location know the cops are coming?   That would be silly stupid.  

Edited by PATCHMAN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, PATCHMAN said:

As this was a third party calling about a possible burglary-in-progress, not sure how the caller would have advised 9-1-1 the woman had a gun in her handbag and would be drawing it. 

Maybe posters here are advising that on all burglary-in-progress calls, LEOs should respond with full lights and sirens so that all at the location know the cops are coming?   That would be silly stupid.  

One of the very first thing a caller is asked by our dispatchers when they receive a call for law enforcement is, "Are you armed?"  "Is anyone in the house with you armed?  if so, who are they and where are they located."  "Are there weapons in the area and are they secure?"

The officer is immediately informed of the presence of firearms/weapons and who has them.  He then tells the dispatcher what to say to the armed individual for both their safety. 

I only know this for sure about my County that provides communications and service to all within the County.  I can't recall when I heard a local scene where there was confusion at the location.

Preliminary information is being conveyed to the responding officers as they are en route.  this allows the officers responding to set the scene as they desire.

I have been in radio communications for most of my private life, and was a radio operator in the Navy.  I am familiar with the potential confusion arising from poor communications.

However, I am impressed with our Emergency services and their professionalism.

Who said it was a burglary in process call?  And even his partner said all he could see in window was a woman's face. First thing is common sense announce you are police you don't just go around someone s house in backyard shining a flashlight. Around here you do that you gonna get shot. Specially not announcing who you are. In this instance  stay at front door announce alot of times who you are.      Last time I checked it's legal to have guns in your own home and handle them as well.   But give it time it will work out

he definately jumped ship quick and got to that lawyer without answering anything ,  that was his only smart move .

Edited by ASH

white cop, dead black....protest, racist charges, “All too often”, “History of”, professional race activist arrive.

We are approaching a time in this country when the 911 dispatcher will ask for a description....and a black, white, or brown officer will respond as needed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

white cop, dead black....protest, racist charges, “All too often”, “History of”, professional race activist arrive.

We are approaching a time in this country when the 911 dispatcher will ask for a description....and a black, white, or brown officer will respond as needed.

You might be right.  It would be a sorry state of affairs if it were better to have ethnic and racial groups kill each other, than to have equality and each person have an opportunity to kill each other.

Some how this seems more a failing of morality and principles, than a question of equality.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

you ever notice  that for like long as i can remember watching the news ,  if the topic is about black people, its always a black reporter reporting and vice versa .

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ASH said:

you ever notice  that for like long as i can remember watching the news ,  if the topic is about black people, its always a black reporter reporting and vice versa .

the media makes it's money on promoting distrust.  Remember their motto, "If it bleeds, it leads".

They have a vested interest in promoting discord, if not blatantly, then by innuendo.

The days of reporting the news are long gone. The days of creating news to report, are in full swing.

Many times I have watched and heard so called reporters trying to put race into the story, even when it's not been reported as an issue.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, janice6 said:

the media makes it's money on promoting distrust.  Remember their motto, "If it bleeds, it leads".

They have a vested interest in promoting discord, if not blatantly, then by innuendo.

The days of reporting the news are long gone. The days of creating news to report, are in full swing.

its like the weather channel whenever a hurricane is  coming , nobody watches until a hurricane comes lol . then man they pull out all the stops  of making it as dangerous as possible

and the reporters acting like they are getting blown down .  when dorian hit  my wife said turn to TWC i said hell no go to atleast our local news .  lol

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ASH said:

its like the weather channel whenever a hurricane is  coming , nobody watches until a hurricane comes lol . then man they pull out all the stops  of making it as dangerous as possible

and the reporters acting like they are getting blown down .  when dorian hit  my wife said turn to TWC i said hell no go to atleast our local news .  lol

I agree.  It's so bad that now, that I don't believe the weather forecasts until I see the radar pictures for myself.  

13 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

LOL, cop quits his job after shooting, police chief says he wasn’t justified, and patchman is still trying to defend the guy. 

Sad. Predictable, but terribly sad. 

How am I defending him?  

I know you want to see cops hang from the get-go.  I get that.  You want to believe cops get up in the morning and say "I going to kill someone today." 

Me, I'm curious to explore what led up to results such as this.  There's usually always a cause-and-effect... even if you can't understand it or won't understand it.    

Edited by PATCHMAN
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

LOL, cop quits his job after shooting, police chief says he wasn’t justified, and patchman is still trying to defend the guy. 

Sad. Predictable, but terribly sad. 

Even him resigning is interesting.  Was his decision made in a vacuum?  Was it out of guilt? Bad advise he got?  Good advise he got?  IDK. 

As for the Chief's order to arrest, it could be a perfectly righteous decision.  I certain wouldn't rule out politically motivated.    

Edited by PATCHMAN
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, PATCHMAN said:

How am I defending him?  

I know you want to see cops hang from the get-go.  I get that.  You want to believe cops get up in the morning and say "I going to kill someone today." 

Me, I'm curious to explore what led up to results such as this.  There's usually always a cause-and-effect... even if you can't understand it or won't understand it.    

Trying to label me a cop hater, will not change the facts. Although your attempt to attack my character instead of the actions of the former officer who’s not supported by his own chief are very telling.

You don’t understand much. Certainly not me. 

But good oof luck with that. I’m sure you’ll make up a bunch of possible scenarios excusing the cop accused of murder again. Just like you did with the Goines case. 

1 minute ago, AK_Stick said:

Trying to label me a cop hater, will not change the facts. Although your attempt to attack my character instead of the actions of the former officer who’s not supported by his own chief are very telling.

You don’t understand much. Certainly not me. 

But good oof luck with that. I’m sure you’ll make up a bunch of possible scenarios excusing the cop accused of murder again. Just like you did with the Goines case. 

Again I ask.  How am I defending him?  

• Like 2