Pld Revere Wear pots..

DrB

Stopped at the Goodwill on the way home.  Found these old Made in USA pots.  The good stuff not the current Chinese Crap..  They will clean up nice... $2.00 each.

Any ideas on how to clean and fix the Bakelite handles.  These have been in the dishwasher at one point in time .

Dave..

RevereA.jpg

RevereB.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrB said:

Stopped at the Goodwill on the way home.  Found these old Made in USA pots.  The good stuff not the current Chinese Crap..  They will clean up nice... $2.00 each.

Any ideas on how to clean and fix the Bakelite handles.  These have been in the dishwasher at one point in time .

Dave..

RevereA.jpg

RevereB.jpg

My wife used to complain about me too, until she found out she could buy lids that fit all the different sizes of her frying pans.

Keep your eyes out for brand new stock from stores that donated to get a tax benefit.  I find brand new grind and brew and appliance stuff.

I collected Cast Iron Pans, but many are too heavy for my wife to handle now.  So just buy new high quality non-stick frying pans, they are lighter for her.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

If you have access to a buffing wheel Bakelite  will polish up real nice. 

I do a lot of polishing.  I guess it's either a desire to see glossy finishes or a fetish, I'm not sure which.

Any way, the cost of a two inch wide cloth buffing wheel is out of this world! 

But, I buy 1/2 inch cloth buffing wheels at Harbor Freight for pennies, and then slide each one of them on a 1/2 inch arbor with a bead of Silicon Adhesive between each wheel, till I have the width I want. 

Mounted on a small motor give marvelous lifetime, and beautiful finishes, with compounds from cutting steel to polishing gold.  Cheap and very nice finishes.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

If you have access to a buffing wheel Bakelite  will polish up real nice. 

Thanks.  I have a couple of bench mounted grinders I can get a buffing wheel for.  Did not think about that for Bakelite.

Dave..

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, blueiron said:

Don't polish handles on cookware. It may look attractive, but slick handles in the kitchen are a potential safety hazard and can lead to nasty burns. 

Bakelite is an old product from the past and many thing such as old telephone handset were made of Bakelite.  Polishing it will remove the dull gray color to original black color but making it slick is almost impossible.  It will restore the handle to it's original look and that's about all. 

Edited by pipedreams

I love those old Revere Ware pans.  I inherited my Grandmother's old set and have picked up a couple more of the nice older ones.

I put mine through the dish washer all the time for convenience.  I didn't realize the handles could be buffed back into shape so easily.

Thanks for the insight!

Edited by Maccabeus
  • Like 1