Name That Movie

Eric

31 minutes ago, blueiron said:

Yep. Steve Guttenberg as an irradiated medical student. 

Not many people have seen that made for TV movie.

That was probably his only non-comedic role. I saw that movie with a bunch of UGA students after I went back to college after serving my AF hitch, on a Minuteman base. The Minuteman stuff was closer to accurate than I expected.

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, blueiron said:

Yep. Steve Guttenberg as an irradiated medical student. 

Not many people have seen that made for TV movie.

I was just a kid then, but I remember the movie. There was a relentless push by the left back then to scare Americans, to paint the USSR as stronger than us. To paint them as unbeatable and the Cold War unwinnable. And of course to thwart President Reagan. There was the constant hammering for years about the missile gap, the tank gap, you name it. They kept telling us that the Cold War was unwinnable, right up to the moment that we won it, due in large part to Reagan’s efforts.

Looking back on it now, M.A.D. Was a truly mad way to live and it could have gone tragically wrong at any moment, but it provided enough of a deterrent to keep the Superpowers in check. Then, the US developed weapons that made such a war at least theoretically winnable. That and the economy and manufacturing might that truly won WWII left the Eastern Block with a decision to make.

Anyway, In spite of the fact that the movie looked like propaganda even back then and to a fifteen-year-old kid, it was a powerful movie for the time and it carried a bleak message.  

• Like 1

By 1969-70, the USSR had achieved nuclear parity with the US and by the end of the 1970's, they surpassed us with the SS-18 Mod-4 missile, carrying 10 RVs at 550 kt each. By 1989, they introduced a variant, Mod-6, which carried a single 20 megaton warhead - this would have easily destroyed the NORAD complex at Cheyenne Mountain, the buried SAC HQ at Offutt AFB, Joint Base Kitsap, Kings Bay Naval Base, all of Washington DC, continuity of government facilities, and the Underground Munitions Maintenance and Storage Complex at Kirtland AFB.

The USSR had more missiles, more warheads, and more nuclear yield after the Johnson Administration decided unilaterally to stop the nuclear arms race. When Nixon decided to push the SALT disarmament talks, only then did a rough parity begin to return to strategic weapons. 

No one was going to "win" a nuclear war where a MAO [major attack option] was executed.   

• Like 1

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, blueiron said:

By 1969-70, the USSR had achieved nuclear parity with the US and by the end of the 1970's, they surpassed us with the SS-18 Mod-4 missile, carrying 10 RVs at 550 kt each. By 1989, they introduced a variant, Mod-6, which carried a single 20 megaton warhead - this would have easily destroyed the NORAD complex at Cheyenne Mountain, the buried SAC HQ at Offutt AFB, Joint Base Kitsap, Kings Bay Naval Base, all of Washington DC, continuity of government facilities, and the Underground Munitions Maintenance and Storage Complex at Kirtland AFB.

The USSR had more missiles, more warheads, and more nuclear yield after the Johnson Administration decided unilaterally to stop the nuclear arms race. When Nixon decided to push the SALT disarmament talks, only then did a rough parity begin to return to strategic weapons. 

No one was going to "win" a nuclear war where a MAO [major attack option] was executed.   

I was referring to the advent of our stealth aircraft, when I mentioned weapons that made an attack at least theoretically winnable. They made a surprise decapitation attack a possibility, at least on paper. The Soviets thought so, at least.

The numbers you referred to belie the true strength of our forces vs the Soviets. We had better, far more accurate nuclear arms and far more of our ICBMs were solid fueled. We were able to safely maintain a higher state of nuclear readiness than the Soviets. Our missile subs were far better, as were our SLBMs. We could track their missile subs. They could not track ours. By the eighties, we were producing better weapons, faster than the Soviets could match and they bankrupted themselves trying.

I'm not an expert at this stuff, but I am a child of the Cold War. I grew up exposed to all of this, as did anyone who lived in that era. There was a defeatist movement that started in the seventies and intensified in the Reagan era. The left crapped on everything Reagan did and that included his efforts to win the Cold War.

I look back on that time today and I think that as crazy as that era was, we were probably safer as a nation then.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2019 at 3:17 PM, Eric said:

Post a pics from movies. Guess which movies. NO GOOGLE IMAGE REVERSE LOOKUPS.

I'll start. Name that movie:

GuessIt1.jpg.76301c2c3751f486de46e4c2d834162f.jpg

Real Steel.  The one with Hugh Jackman and Evangeline Lilly.  Not bad for a movie about boxing robots.

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 10/7/2019 at 8:25 AM, SC Tiger said:

Real Steel.  The one with Hugh Jackman and Evangeline Lilly.  Not bad for a movie about boxing robots.

I liked the movie, but I loved the truck. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maser said:

maxresdefault.jpg

giphy.gif

Spoiler

Full Metal Jacket, of course.  I think that's Vincent D'Onfreo before he became famous.

6 hours ago, Peng said:

SC guessed Home Alone for the first 2 quotes.  Not sure on that,  but the last is from Christine.

I was basing my guess on the picture and thought it was all one clue - though the quotes did not fit Home Alone that I could remember.  

Was a wild-ass guess.