Former Dallas LEO Amber Guyer found guilty of Murder

SC Tiger

11 hours ago, janice6 said:

The one time I was involved in a court case, the lawyer was asking me questions and slowly increasing his rate until he was asking a new question before I could answer the last one.

I stopped responding to him.  Finally the judge asked me if there was a problem.  I said yes!  If he won't listen for my answers, I won't listen to his questions.

I was pleasantly surprised when the judge directed the attorney to not ask a following question until I stated I had concluded answering the prior one.

My attorney laughed at the break and said, "It's not like Perry Mason, is it!".  I found I had rights there too!

I was a juror on a case and saw a prosecutor pull a similar trick on a witness.  To me it really damaged their case.

It's like sports - if you have the better athletes, you don't use a lot of trickery.  If you don't have the better athletes, you use trick plays and BS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After listening to the jury instructions I think I would have said not guilty. Based on this jury instructions the jury must have thought it was not reasonable for her to believe she was in the wrong apartment. I think it was a reasonable belief based on what I know.

• Like 1

It was not reasonable to go into the wrong apartment shoot the occupant, nd say I meant to kill them.  No matter how exhausted, I never made that mistake.  Now, I had a land lord who thought he could come and go as he pleased without warning.  I busted leather on him, but I did not shoot him.  I about made him **** himself.  He stopped coming over unannounced after that.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TX OMFS said:

After listening to the jury instructions I think I would have said not guilty. Based on this jury instructions the jury must have thought it was not reasonable for her to believe she was in the wrong apartment. I think it was a reasonable belief based on what I know.

Im not sure how you can listen to those instructions and not find her guilty. 

The definition the judge read of murder is exactly what she intended to happen, and she had zero justification. 

Thats about as clear cut as they get. 

Unfortunate if she really did think she was in her apartment, but still clear cut. 

• Like 1

hard to get charges lessened when you walk into someone else's house and shoot them dead.

badge or not,although in this particular social awareness woke environment it probably worked against her.

but if i walk into someone else`s house and shoot them and go whoops i thought i was in my house  i don`t think the Prosecution is going to be helping me either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Historian said:

All my friends and family call first.

They have learned 

That is always for the best.  Especially, if the children have moved out.  I have two years left with my first.  Then he is off to ROTC and hopefully a degree so he can retire as a telephone colonel.

• Like 1

The judge overseeing the trial of a white Dallas police officer convicted of killing her black neighbor in his apartment hugged the former officer after jurors sentenced her to 10 years in prison.

https://www.brownsvilleherald.com/news/texas/the-latest-judge-also-hugs-dallas-cop-sentenced-to-years/article_5f8cdb0d-57b6-5120-8aea-7590fdf40b7b.html

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/latest-court-resumes-dallas-cops-sentencing-66004382

A lot of things unsaid when the trial judge chooses to hug Guyger.   

Edited by PATCHMAN
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, PATCHMAN said:

The judge overseeing the trial of a white Dallas police officer convicted of killing her black neighbor in his apartment hugged the former officer after jurors sentenced her to 10 years in prison.

https://www.brownsvilleherald.com/news/texas/the-latest-judge-also-hugs-dallas-cop-sentenced-to-years/article_5f8cdb0d-57b6-5120-8aea-7590fdf40b7b.html

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/latest-court-resumes-dallas-cops-sentencing-66004382

Lawyers and judges do a lot of weird ****.  After our court today I think Shakespeare was right. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PATCHMAN said:

She was very lucky to have this judge.  She could have sent her away for life.  My bet was 20 years.

A truly sad story.  For everyone involved.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Historian said:

She was very lucky to have this judge.  She could have sent her away for life.  My bet was 20 years.

A truly sad story.  For everyone involved.

Under Tx law, can a judge override a jury's sentence?  (In this case, 10 years).  IDK but was wondering.    

6 hours ago, Maser said:

I'm betting she'll only do year.

Texas average is 66% of time is served i think 50% is about the least without special circumstances.

she is on the Hawtt side of the scale so,maybe that will be considered a special circumstance.

either way her first year will be in segregation if not her whole sentence.

Edited by holyjohnson
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Historian said:

She will not be in general population because she was sworn.

Hopefully she will get the Epstein treatment.  Yeah, I know she's a cop and all and I'm not badmouthing cops, I'm badmouthing her for killing an innocent man in his own home.  This kinda crap hits close to home with me because every month I gotta call my local PD and warn them about potential SWATtings that could happen to me.  So the act of being killed in your own home is well.........very anger inducing.    

6 hours ago, Maser said:

Hopefully she will get the Epstein treatment.  Yeah, I know she's a cop and all and I'm not badmouthing cops, I'm badmouthing her for killing an innocent man in his own home.  This kinda crap hits close to home with me because every month I gotta call my local PD and warn them about potential SWATtings that could happen to me.  So the act of being killed in your own home is well.........very anger inducing.    

Better safe than sorry.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PATCHMAN said:

The brother of the victim did the same thing.  That seems odd.  Until you consider something.......

I'm sure everyone here remembers the church shooting at Mother Emmanuel AME church in Charleston, SC.  9 people shot by a racist POS with a bad haircut.

Anyway - a few weeks ago I heard the man who was the Police Chief at the time speak about the tragedy.  

According to him, there were a few factors that kept the situation from turning into another Ferguson:

1)  God

2)  The police had made a lot of progress in working with the community to try to help people.  Instead of being seen as "the man", they tried to be seen as part of the solution.  Programs to help kids, the underprivilged, community interaction programs, etc.  This helped make the police and the church allies, not enemies

3) This may be the second-biggest factor - the day of the POS's first court appearance, the members of the church went to the court and publicly stated that they forgave him.  Now - this does not mean that they did not want him to be sentenced.  But they did not try to instigate more trouble.  Didn't want to make an entire city or state pay for what one guy did (and believe me, a LOT of us would love to have 5 minutes alone with that POS).  When protesters were bussed in from out of town (and this did happen), a group of men from the AME church showed up and drowned them out with singing.  The church and the police were allies.  Now - this was not a police shooting but when the family of the deceased forgives the shooter, it takes a lot of the fire out of the words of those who would twist the event to their own devices.

The judge doing it is a bit odd - but I tend to believe this judge knew that and was trying to stave off a potential mess.

Edited by SC Tiger