NFL Players Want League To Make November A Month to Protest Police

RussP

:faint:

CELEBRITY
NFL Players Want League To Make November A Month to Protest Police

Players Memo To League Blames Police For Death Of Trayvon Martin

Four NFL players submitted a 10-page memo to the league’s top officials asking for “overt league support” and a month of anti-police activism.

The 10-page memo was obtained by Yahoo Sports and was endorsed by Seattle Seahawks’ Michael Bennett, Philadelphia Eagles’ Malcolm Jenkins, Eagles’ Torrey Smith and former NFL player Anquan Boldin. The memo was sent to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and executive vice president of football operations Troy Vincent.

Bennett has sat during the national anthem during games and raises a fist on the field after making plays in protest of the police.

The memo asks for the league to make the month of November as “activism awareness month” such as the league does with breast cancer.

The memo also blames police for the shooting of Trayvon Martin, who was shot and killed in 2012 by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman, not the police.

Wonder if Goodell will buy into this?

The Memorandum...

MEMORANDUM

TO:                   Roger Goodell, NFL Commissioner

Troy Vincent, Executive Vice President, NFL Football Operations

Anquan Boldin, Buffalo Bills

Torrey Smith, Philadelphia Eagles

Michael Bennett, Seattle Seahawks

RE:                  Player Activism for Racial Equality and Criminal Justice Reform

OVERVIEW

As players whom have been advocating for social justice for the past year, we appreciate the opportunity to engage with you, the league, owners, coaches and GMs to make our communities stronger. As we shared with you, the silence following our individual and collective demonstrations around the national anthem to raise awareness to racial inequality and issues surrounding criminal justice reform has been met with inconsistencies in press coverage and perceived lack of support.

To recap our discussion, currently there are more than 40 active players who have participated in our “Players Coalition” to work on criminal justice reform on various levels (some more than others). Below is a summary of the activities we have conducted to date.

Our focus has been to identify and place our efforts on the key areas of reform where our influence and support can make a meaningful difference in the community. Those include prioritizing Criminal Justice Reform and Police/Community Relations Engagement. Within those two areas that includes: police transparency/accountability, bail reform, criminalization of poverty, mass incarceration (mandatory minimum sentences, juvenile life parole) and Clean Slate Act, which also includes emphasis on diversion of funds towards community based programs, education and training. (More information below – see Addendum). Through Police/Community Relations & Engagement, we are working with grass roots organizations and police directly through various efforts to build trust within our communities and increase educational and employment opportunities.

There's more at the link...

Introducing politics into sports is absolutely wrong on every level.  We don't watch to debate.  We watch to disengage.

So, goodbye NFL.  It was fun.  But the party is over.

Hello (again) great outdoors.  I didn't realize how much I've missed ya......

• Like 4

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, jame said:

Introducing politics into sports is absolutely wrong on every level.  We don't watch to debate.  We watch to disengage.

So, goodbye NFL.  It was fun.  But the party is over.

Hello (again) great outdoors.  I didn't realize how much I've missed ya......

Truth.  Sports should be bread and circuses. 

http://www.thedailybeast.com/trumps-attack-on-black-athletes-may-bring-a-league-to-its-feet

"The true test comes Sunday at 1pm. Any NFL player still standing—regardless of race or ethnicity—is letting the world know that they are offering implicit support for a man who questions Americans’ basic right to free expression, and leans all the way into America's deep-seated racial animus. Beyond the NFL, their brethren in the NBA, Major League Baseball, and the NFL, should realize this is a moment for solidarity and go full Spartacus, in whatever manner they can."

1 hour ago, ROB said:

There's still the NHL.

Or, maybe, who knows, the 'Nucks might end up sympathizing with the protesters.

(Our coach told us, in no uncertain terms, that we would stand respectfully and attentively (no stretching, no bouncing, no blowing snot-rockets...) during the national anthem AND during the other team's anthem.)

The NFL, as we all know, has been populated with the felons, drug users, wife/girlfriend beaters, drunks and murderers. Why in hell would anyone support that!

It doesn't matter but no NFL in my house ever again! No Superbowl no nothing! College football is out too. Piss on all these dudes to include Goodell, the NFL team owners that allow this to continue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So....

I've never been to a NFL game.  And I don't own a single piece of NFL merchandise to burn.

But, I noticed the magnet-schedule that was stuck on our beer fridge, that the pizza guy gave us several weeks ago,  and I dropped it in the trash.

TAKE THAT NFL!!!!

That'll show 'em!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1