I have to admire my son's self cntrol.

Clancy

I posted last week about my son injuring his knee in football, and needing surgery. He tore his meniscus in 2 places, and goes in Friday for surgery. He has been hobbling around with a knee brace on and has been getting around reasonably well, until this morning. A kid in school, who the school described to me as "special needs" but my son describes as a complete ******* that likes to pick fights, walked up to my son and kicked him in his injured knee, hard. Connor says that his first instinct was to deck the little shithead but was able to control his temper, as the kid is only in 6th grade and a good foot shorter than my son.

So now his knee is swollen even more, he says it is much more painful, and is asking for ibuprofen, which is something he has never done before. I spoke with the principal, who told me that the boy has been disciplined. It seems the discipline consisted of making him apologize to my son, and not much else. I was also told that had my son retaliated, he would have been subject to severe disciplinary issues because the kid is, again, "special needs". What a crock!

• Like 3

retaliation?

if no one sees it, it didn't happen.

quote from a movie i watched last night.

my thought is i never need to seek revenge.

karma does the job for me, all i need is the patience to wait.

sooner or later, time heals all wounds, and time also wounds all heals.

your son is a man.

I spent my 8th grade mostly home schooled for bi-lateral hip displacement and returned only for the last two weeks of school for the finals.  I was on crutches and over 6ft, 250#. 

Trying to be funny I guess, Little punk kicked one one my crutches out from under me.  I hit the ground and howled and beat him with the other crutch while laying on my back!

Knocked him down rolled around on him.  Teachers tried to break us up and he stabbed me with a pencil in the break!

The beating I gave that 12 year old midget was worth the suspension.

I almost flunked 8th grade because of it.

Totally worth it.

Edited by JimBianchi
  • Like 2

School administrators sometimes take the path of least resistance.  They are so fearful of lawsuits by parents (especially the parents of special needs children) that some students just about get away with murder.  Being the squeaky wheel about this and calling the police was a good suggestion.  A little concern for what victims'  parents might do wouldn't be a bad thing. Administrators also don't want to make the 6 o'clock news.

I have seen this same problem in my elementary school (not in my classroom) before I retired.

Your kid figuratively had one leg tied behind his back. It would have been a good asskicking. 

This other little **** will be emboldened now and may target him again. This **** can't be permitted to stand. While the best course of action would be to involve the police, if I had been in your son's place. I would track that shitbird down and give him a private education that is reserved for assholes of his rank. 

The temper check makes your son look weak, even though it was probably the right thing to do.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jason D said:

Your kid figuratively had one leg tied behind his back. It would have been a good asskicking. 

This other little **** will be emboldened now and may target him again. This **** can't be permitted to stand. While the best course of action would be to involve the police, if I had been in your son's place. I would track that shitbird down and give him a private education that is reserved for assholes of his rank. 

The temper check makes your son look weak, even though it was probably the right thing to do.   

Although I agree with the rest of your post, I can't agree that holding his temper against a younger, smaller, and presumably special needs student makes his son look weak.  It sometimes takes far more strength to restrain oneself than to yield to the impulse to strike back.  Striking back would have been the easier choice in this case.  

I do wish something would be done to hold the student and administrators more accountable for the incident and the way it was handled.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jason D said:

I dont think there is anything weak about a 15 year old football player not pounding on a 12 year old "special needs" kid ( even if said kid is a royal *******).

• Like 2

My dad was a school principal, and a pioneer in mainstreaming special education kids.  When I was in high school, I would occasionally fill in on the janitorial staff when someone was sick.  On one of those occasions, I took a break with the head custodian as school let out, and a group of the special education kids was shepherded past us to the bus pickup loop by a teacher.  The head custodian was a big, gentle, African-American man who had no kids of his own but who provided a home for kids with family trouble.  He always had four to six kids at his house.  Just a gem of a human being.  These kids came by, a fair number of them acting up.  My big friend quietly intoned, "The special education some of those kids needs is a good spanking."

Much wisdom came from that good heart.  A bunch of those kids who stayed with him probably got spanked.  But I knew some of them at school, and most of them got on a good path because of that good man.

Edited by TailGator
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My son is high functioning autistic (special needs). Special needs doesn't make a kid a prick. That's all parents or lack there of. I'd request the school bring those parents in for a conference with you and you can nail them to a wall. As n2g said above, schools want to smooth over issues quietly. That's their problem not yours. By the way, nice job raising a good kid and hope the knee turns out great for your son. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, stevekozak said:

I dont think there is anything weak about a 15 year old football player not pounding on a 12 year old "special needs" kid ( even if said kid is a royal *******).

I don't know how it is at other schools, but here locally special ed was just a dumping ground for problem children that were mostly all assholes. There were very few actual children in those rooms that needed special ed. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, n2g said:

Although I agree with the rest of your post, I can't agree that holding his temper against a younger, smaller, and presumably special needs student makes his son look weak.  It sometimes takes far more strength to restrain oneself than to yield to the impulse to strike back.  Striking back would have been the easier choice in this case.  

I do wish something would be done to hold the student and administrators more accountable for the incident and the way it was handled.

I get you.

• Like 1