Well, if I wasn't already not going, this would make me stop...

Cougar_ml

I was raised in the LDS church (Mormon church)

They just updated their handbook to prohibit non-law enforcement officers from carrying firearms in meetinghouses.

So basically, pander to the liberals and ignore the history of the church and teachings in both the Book of Mormon and the Bible about God helps those who help themselves, being prepared for everything, and instead they want sheeple and concentrated victim zones.

Needless to say, I'm even more disenchanted with the thought of ever going back to church there.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

Well, I guess that's one more religion I can't belong to.  I think it's time for me to go start my own.  And all the members have to own firearms and know how to use them.  And you can't be an deacon until you can shoot 210/250 on the Army Qualification Test.  And if you want to be an elder, you have to shoot  a 240.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 8/28/2019 at 7:27 PM, Valmet said:

I’m not Mormon and was very shocked  to hear this news...

Me.either. Mormons are not to pick with. Hell they fought the US government. They seem like stout people who take care of themselves.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 4

We're supposed to have a year (preferably more) of supplies on hand in order to be prepared for whatever life throws at us, many months of money saved up in case we need it, and just generally the means and ability to take care of ourselves.  This policy directly contradicts that notion that we're supposed to be prepared for whatever gets thrown at us.

9 hours ago, Historian said:

Me.either. Mormons are not to pick with. He'll they fought the US government. They seem like stout people who take care of themselves.

Once upon a time, the founders of the church WERE very stout people with great conviction.  Now it's the same as everyone else, except the LDS church has better business sense than a lot of other religions do these days.  Maybe because it's a younger church they aren't so steeped in traditions they can't adapt to the modern world faster/better?

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 6:43 AM, Cougar_ml said:

We're supposed to have a year (preferably more) of supplies on hand in order to be prepared for whatever life throws at us, many months of money saved up in case we need it, and just generally the means and ability to take care of ourselves.  This policy directly contradicts that notion that we're supposed to be prepared for whatever gets thrown at us.

Once upon a time, the founders of the church WERE very stout people with great conviction.  Now it's the same as everyone else, except the LDS church has better business sense than a lot of other religions do these days.  Maybe because it's a younger church they aren't so steeped in traditions they can't adapt to the modern world faster/better?

I have a years worth of money and bullets.

If the economy is good, I won't need the bullets.

If the economy is non-existent, I won't need the money.

• Like 5

prohibit or what?

if they find out they throw you out of a church your unhappy with?

if God forbid you need a weapon in church and have it and stop something bad will they still expect you to be prohibited?

unless they wanna help carry the ammo,its none of their business whats on my (or your ) belt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Everyplace I go encourages it.  I am surprised by their position.  Most churches like to sweep dirt under the rug.  The Mormons I know are the first people to throw their members under the bus and have them arrested.  An interesting position for them to take, as I have known many, and been friends with many.  Granted, most of them were law enforcement.  I am not a fan of the religion, but I liked working with them, especially on foreign assignments.  You didn't have to worry about them being drunk and rolled in a whorehouse or something to that effect.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

There are many Houses of God where weapons are not welcomed as part of  commitment to the faith. Whether this is a "practical" decision or not is not the overriding issue. Faith causes people to make uncommon choices. Their church ergo their rules.

On 9/7/2019 at 1:36 AM, holyjohnson said:

prohibit or what?

if they find out they throw you out of a church your unhappy with?

if God forbid you need a weapon in church and have it and stop something bad will they still expect you to be prohibited?

unless they wanna help carry the ammo,its none of their business whats on my (or your ) belt.

That depends on your local laws; in some places you can lose your carry permit. In others, they can only ask you to leave; in still other places, carrying in a prohibited location can be seen as a criminal act.

36 minutes ago, billkill said:

That depends on your local laws; in some places you can lose your carry permit. In others, they can only ask you to leave; in still other places, carrying in a prohibited location can be seen as a criminal act.

True.  Places of worship, here, pretty much allow it after the San Antonio slaughter.  Both places I go to, encourage it.  The only prohibition you will find for concealed carry is places of business must put up an official State sign prohibiting the carry of firearms in that establishment.  They can't simply arbitrarily decide.  I have often joked, that they put up a Berretta with an anti symbol over it, and I am not carrying a Berretta 92, so I must be okay. :)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, billkill said:

Yawn....i must have missed the memo.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, billkill said:

i said that under the Assumption that pre-meetinghouse prohibition, OP was able to freely and legally carry at Worship.

or at least quietly keep it between he and his maker,the only ones that matter in this case.

but yes,laws should be considered.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Moshe said:

True.  Places of worship, here, pretty much allow it after the San Antonio slaughter.  Both places I go to, encourage it.  The only prohibition you will find for concealed carry is places of business must put up an official State sign prohibiting the carry of firearms in that establishment.  They can't simply arbitrarily decide.  I have often joked, that they put up a Berretta with an anti symbol over it, and I am not carrying a Berretta 92, so I must be okay. :)

here (Wisconsin) unless posted or within 1000 feet of a grade k-12 school theres no state provision on Permitted Concealed Carry

from what i hear its a lot like Mn,keep it concealed and your fine.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, holyjohnson said:

here (Wisconsin) unless posted or within 1000 feet of a grade k-12 school theres no state provision on Permitted Concealed Carry

from what i hear its a lot like Mn,keep it concealed and your fine.

In MI churches are listed as places CC is prohibited, but the fine print of the law says if you get permission from the presiding official you can carry. I tell people to make sure to get the permission in writing. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

In MI churches are listed as places CC is prohibited, but the fine print of the law says if you get permission from the presiding official you can carry. I tell people to make sure to get the permission in writing. 

after a while i told the Preacher at our last Church i carry and he said i do it well,he never noticed and if he had any complaints he`d let me know.

never said a word about it.

my Theory is Jesus can save my Soul,I`ll save my ass he must have agreed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, holyjohnson said:

after a while i told the Preacher at our last Church i carry and he said i do it well,he never noticed and if he had any complaints he`d let me know.

never said a word about it.

my Theory is Jesus can save my Soul,I`ll save my ass he must have agreed.

The laws here are somewhat confusing. The back of our CPL lists places you can not CC, as I mentioned churches, synagogues, etc are listed but if you actually read the law, is when you see the fine print about receiving permission then you are good. Most people don't read the laws so they are SOL. I have a standard form with blanks where you add the churches name, your name and the presiding officials name and a few lines of lawyer speak, I pass that to all the folks I know who carry and attend services. I figure its best to have it in writing incase somebody gets amnesia after the fact, or if the presiding official is one that is shot. You are correct on saving souls and asses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Richardb said:

There are many Houses of God where weapons are not welcomed as part of  commitment to the faith. Whether this is a "practical" decision or not is not the overriding issue. Faith causes people to make uncommon choices. Their church ergo their rules.

If we go by the historical teachings of the LDS church, then weapons do have a place in church.  

I accept that the church is trying to become more woke or whatever it is they think they are doing by telling it's faithful, law abiding members to blindly follow a rule that leaves them defenseless in case of someone wishing to do evil, but that is their choice to make, and the member's choice to follow.

My choice is to respect their wishes to not have weapons or firearms in their place of worship by not going myself, and not putting myself and my family into a situation where I am helpless to defend my family and myself because it makes someone else uncomfortable.  

The people who don't like or are scared of guns win because there will be fewer of them there.  I win by no longer associating myself with an organization that doesn't believe in my god given right to self defense, and the church wins that it weeds out those who can think for themselves and only keeps those who follow it blindly and can't think for themselves.   

Everybody wins.

Well, at least until they lose, which I hope they never do.

• Like 3

On 11/6/2019 at 11:47 PM, Cougar_ml said:

If we go by the historical teachings of the LDS church, then weapons do have a place in church.  

I accept that the church is trying to become more woke or whatever it is they think they are doing by telling it's faithful, law abiding members to blindly follow a rule that leaves them defenseless in case of someone wishing to do evil, but that is their choice to make, and the member's choice to follow.

My choice is to respect their wishes to not have weapons or firearms in their place of worship by not going myself, and not putting myself and my family into a situation where I am helpless to defend my family and myself because it makes someone else uncomfortable.  

The people who don't like or are scared of guns win because there will be fewer of them there.  I win by no longer associating myself with an organization that doesn't believe in my god given right to self defense, and the church wins that it weeds out those who can think for themselves and only keeps those who follow it blindly and can't think for themselves.   

Everybody wins.

during Colonial times and in the Western Frontier being armed in Houses of Worship and in Town Meetings was`nt just allowed,it was expected and in some places sadly like Virginia it was the law to be Armed in Meetings.

the Mormon Church has a rich History of Self Defense and needing to be armed,the events in Mexico show that is still true.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:47 PM, Cougar_ml said:

Everybody wins.

I can respect that.  I would feel similarly.  Prior to the San Antonio fiasco, I have been by churches where there were signs prohibiting firearms.  We turned right around and left.  I figured, if something pops off, they are on their own.

• Like 2