Presguy

Favorite methods for fixing up cast iron pan?

So I did a dumb..

I've got a cast iron skillet, I use pretty regularly. After I use it, I give it a quick rinse/light brush, a very very thin coat of oil, and throw it on the stove to dry out for a minute. Because it is actually rinsed after each use, it didn't have a really heavy seasoning, but it was serviceable.

Somehow about four days ago, I put it back on the stove damp, forgot to oil or dry it, and went out of town. Came back today and found the whole thing (inside and out) all rusty and brown.

Tips for cleaning it up and getting a coat of seasoning on it that'll be a little more durable?

Scrub it off with a copper scrubby, then season it for real (smeared with peanut oil and tossed in a 200 degree oven for a couple hours).  Then go back to taking care of it like you were before, with a rinse, dry time, and a smear of oil.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

..with a copper scrubby,..

Thanks.. that's the idea I needed. It needed more that the plastic brush I usually use, but not "hit up the toolbox" territory.

• Like 1

the common method of re-constituting Cast Iron pans that are rusty and forgotten finds, is to put a firebrick in the oven and turn on the self cleaning feature.

The claim is that it will come out needing seasoning, but in pristine condition.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, janice6 said:

the common method of re-constituting Cast Iron pans that are rusty and forgotten finds, is to put a firebrick in the oven and turn on the self cleaning feature.

The claim is that it will come out needing seasoning, but in pristine condition.

I've heard of that too - but using self clean on my oven makes the whole house pick up a smell that takes days to go away.

• Thanks 1

Just scrub hell out of it, rinse it out, heat it up and oil it up on the stove, and wipe it down with a rag or paper towel dampened with some veggie oil.

It’ll be fine.

I’d use a scrubber and vinegar as described in this article:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/how-to-restore-vintage-cast-iron-cookware.html

I’ve used the oven trick when I’ve managed to destroy the seasoning one way or the other. But I haven’t done it for rust. There is a risk that extremely high heat will cause cracking, so I wouldn’t use the self-cleaning feature for a vintage skillet or one that I cared about. But this seems like a non-issue since you aren’t planning to use that method regardless.