Mossberg Shockwave

CalmerThanYou

Anyone get one yet?

I purchased one.  Put on a pic. rail and installed a inexpensive Tru-Glow laser.  Wrapped the "Beak" in baseball bat cushy wrap.  Makes for a better grip.  Bit of a beast with 3" 00 buck, but I am getting the hang of it.  Hickock45 or whatever his name is did a nice video if you have not checked it out.  Inexpensive option if you subscribe to the shotgun as home defense concept.  P.S. Herter's makes a Defense 2 3/4 shell with one .65 ball and six #1 buck.  Seems like a formidable recipe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Calmer, 

I wad looking very closely to one of these,  but seeing I'm a novice shotguner, and after seeing M2's posts and pics  inn GT of his hand,  I figured I needs more trigger pulls on my two other Mossbergs before I go there! 

IIRC, he was having trouble with the safety hammering his hand on recoil. 

Maybe he'll chime in. Maybe get him in here? 

They are pretty darn cool!  Might be the perfect bump in the night weapon. 

Please keep us informed,  I'd love to hear your experience once you get out with it! 

Doc

I am stuck between thinking it may be the coolest thing ever, or the stupidest. I've been seeing the Mossberg version for as low as 359. Even though it's cheap enough to snap one up, I and a bit worried it would just be a useless gun. 

Edited by Jason D

5 hours ago, M2 Carbine said:

I have the Shockwave and Remington TAC-14.

I haven't made up my mind which one I like better.

59c817215d711_ShockwavwandTAC14.thumb.JPG.ef99ee3fcc967ebfd4db23626e2e15e3.JPG

I am really torn on the subject. I love the 870's action over the gritty sand in action feel that seems common to most Mossbergs. That said. I don't trust the Remington of today, plus I hate the forend and it's less rounds than the Mossberg. 

I wish one of them would have installed wood on their respective guns. 

3 hours ago, Doc McGlock said:

M2, 

Could you share  your experiences with this little beast? 

Like I said earlier,  I saw the bloody hand.   Have you corrected anything?

The Remington only holds 4 shells, the Mossberg 5 (plus one in the chamber)

I have lasers or laser/lights on all my defense guns.  The Mossberg's receiver is tapped for a rail.

A rail can be put on the Rem's slide.  So, whatever works for you.

For a better non slip grip I'm wrapping both guns with a Baseball Bat anti slip tape I found at Academy.

Personally I get a better grip on the Rem's forearm.

I have small hands, so the shorter reach to the trigger on the Remington fits me better.

I really haven't a preference, except Remington could easily have extended the magazine tube to hold another shell.

With the Lasers and Federal Flite Control Wad Buckshot shells these guns could be pretty deadly out to 30 yards and more.

59c8738c90904_ShockwaveFed1Buck15yds.thumb.JPG.0db93d689f29c5899d90f8b4e2658e8b.JPG59c873916e711_ShockwaveFedFCW25yds.thumb.JPG.081a77259a91c2d048b582c85d9e375a.JPG

• Like 2

Have you solved the safety issue scraping off skin?  Seems a little Dremeling to smooth out the edges of the safety might eliminate scraping.

Like me M2, you're a little older and I was wondering how difficult it is to control?  I'm pretty new at shotguns.  I know technically it's a firearm and not a shotgun but.......!

I have large hands, still can grip fairly well and I love the idea for home defense.  Easy to stash/conceal around the house.  Take with you when you go out.

Edited by Doc McGlock

4 hours ago, Doc McGlock said:

Have you solved the safety issue scraping off skin?  Seems a little Dremeling to smooth out the edges of the safety might eliminate scraping.

Like me M2, you're a little older and I was wondering how difficult it is to control?  I'm pretty new at shotguns.  I know technically it's a firearm and not a shotgun but.......!

I have large hands, still can grip fairly well and I love the idea for home defense.  Easy to stash/conceal around the house.  Take with you when you go out.

Yes, I (carefully) smoothed down the safety .  Now if my hand slides forward, at least the safety doesn't take a hunk out of my thumb now.

Along with using baseball bat grip tape on the bird's head grip I've had no more torn thumb.

With hot loads the gun does kick pretty good but even with my weak shoulders (3 operations) and my advanced age (79 1/2) the gun is controllable.

It's loaded and by the night stand.

Right cool guns.  I like the unusual.

• Like 1

IkrI actually found aLGS that had them I stock for $379 and with tax, $400.43 out the door!  Couldn't pass it up.  DE guns had them on Gunsamerica for $349 + 30 shipping and another 20 for local FFL pickup, i was at the same price and would have to wait,  I have a TruGlo laser and need a top rail. 

My local indoor range only allows 00buck and slugs !  What are you using in the way of ammo?  I've got 350 RDS of Monarch and Estate 00 and about 100 Remington. As well as a couple 100 various slugs, some cast from Bird shot!

27 minutes ago, Doc McGlock said:

IkrI actually found aLGS that had them I stock for $379 and with tax, $400.43 out the door!  Couldn't pass it up.  DE guns had them on Gunsamerica for $349 + 30 shipping and another 20 for local FFL pickup, i was at the same price and would have to wait,  I have a TruGlo laser and need a top rail. 

My local indoor range only allows 00buck and slugs !  What are you using in the way of ammo?  I've got 350 RDS of Monarch and Estate 00 and about 100 Remington. As well as a couple 100 various slugs, some cast from Bird shot!

My "home defense" distance can be out to 30 yards and longer, so my HD guns have to be able to reach out.

Federal "Flite Control Wad" Buckshot stays in a tight pattern out to 30 yards and more and it's a right powerful load without having too bad a kick.

My Shockwave was $427 OTD back in April when they were very hard to get.

The Remington TAC-14 was $411 OTD earlier this month.

Edited by M2 Carbine

7 hours ago, Someday said:

I'm still in the not sure category. .45 and .357 don't bother me, but with an Ulnar Nerve transposition, it might be a bit much to handle. I'm hoping one of the ranges I go to will have one to try out.

Yes, before spending the money you want to see if you can handle the recoil of a stout 12 ga Buckshot load.

The recoil of shells like the Aguila Mini Buckshot shells is very mild.

I'm surprised at how weak my shoulders have become.  The recoil doesn't bother me as much as the difficulty of shouldering a heavy rifle.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, M2 Carbine said:

Yes, before spending the money you want to see if you can handle the recoil of a stout 12 ga Buckshot load.

The recoil of shells like the Aguila Mini Buckshot shells is very mild.

I'm surprised at how weak my shoulders have become.  The recoil doesn't bother me as much as the difficulty of shouldering a heavy rifle.

I can handle it out of my 590, just not sure about the wrist action on the Shockwave. I'm headed to the range tomorrow, I'm going to see if they have one I can play with.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TeaDub said:

Both the Shockwave and the Tac14 have just been announced in 20 GA. I haven't seen any in the wild yet tho. Either in 12 or 20, I'd lean towards the Mossberg. They are more friendly toward us southpaws.

Oh crap.

I really didn't want to buy any more guns, especially not another Shockwave or Tac14, but I think I'd have to get a 20 ga Tac14

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/17/2017 at 9:35 PM, Jason D said:

Seemed to have less recoil than what I had anticipated. 

It sure looks like it would have a pretty big bark to it! I like the idea of putting a hand wrap on it to get a better grip. I prefer the pistol grip types but wouldn't mind taking a few pokes with one of those. :D

• Like 1