A Frame Campers

Sprout

Anyone have any experience with an A frame style pop up camper? We've been kicking around the idea of getting a small lightweight camper and I'm really intrigued by the A frame. We have a 10x10 canvas Kodiak tent now that works but the idea of having a small camper is really appealing to us. We looked at one made by Forest River and although you loose some room compared to a traditional pop up I like the hard sides and not having to worry about canvas getting mildewed. 

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Sprout said:

Anyone have any experience with an A frame style pop up camper? We've been kicking around the idea of getting a small lightweight camper and I'm really intrigued by the A frame. We have a 10x10 canvas Kodiak tent now that works but the idea of having a small camper is really appealing to us. We looked at one made by Forest River and although you loose some room compared to a traditional pop up I like the hard sides and not having to worry about canvas getting mildewed. 

I haven't seen one before. It does sound like an interesting design. I think that having a bit better security with the hard sides is worth losing some space. I just did a quick search online and ran across this company: http://chaletinc.com/a-frame/ . I like the look of that setup. You do lose the sleeping areas that would normally pop out on each end though. The dormer pop-up on the one pictured below is a nice feature. At 2,100 pounds, it has got some weight to it, but pretty much any light SUV should be able to pull it. That is a really nice looking camper trailer.

vehicle-2014-Used-Chalet-Rv-XL1935-Pop-Up-Camper-in-Colorado-CO-121859171-59090ae6a718fa35dc42b2d9.thumb.jpg.1156ee86a4f605f4fb8f940fe89ddf18.jpg

• Like 1

The Chalet is nice but is only available in the western portion of the country. I have been looking into the Aliner. Several models and sizes available. I'm leaning toward the version with the rear bed and toilet. The hard sides are a big draw for me. Coming from a tent I would be thrilled to just get off the ground and a few amenities. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

This is the one i got. It is a year old. I did finally get it out in the rain and did have a leak around the rear window. This camper has always been stored in the elements, you can tell because it was dirty. I'm going to copy and paste what I wrote in GT. To me it's the perfect one man camper. I took the table out, it makes to a bed as well, to make room for storage. This one has no toilet.

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2016-jay-series-hardwall/

I think it is 12'x7'.
I got it out this weekend to go squirrel hunting. At 2.6k pounds it pulls well. The storage on front is enough room for three coolers, four wheeler, and firewood. That storage is what caught my eye. There is enough room inside to satisfy one person camping. The camper does have two beds, dining table makes into a bed if needed, I'm choosing not to use it as such. Its a great place to sleep and to get out of the elements if need be. 
The mattress that came with this is not too good, that will be replaced. 
I noticed that the latches that fasten the end gables were a tad loose, not allowing the weatherstrip to make a tighter seal. I dismantled those and installed an eighth inch washer to force a tighter seal. 
It does have a stove, I will use that in necessary conditions. A small sink, heater, A/C and microwave.
I bought a 3.5kw generator and it was more than enough to power this camper.
I think I'm going to be satisfied with the camper, I can't wait to get it out under rainy condition to see if it leaks. 

Edited by RustyL
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

We just purchased this one in May, and finally got started camping this week.  

I will say it lulls easy, and it provides all you need, as long as it's just two of you, and my particular model gets a little tight even for that.

But if your goal is to get outside, (and in our case, spend more time with the kids), so far, it fits the bill.  It's a Rockwood model A194HW

20180521_073850.jpg

20180524_192405.jpg

20180524_192423.jpg

20180524_192456.jpg