Shooting Bad Guys (paper ones) Video

ranger99

Okay, trying to do this from YT.  If it doesn't work, please let me know.

Took a defensive handgun training course last Saturday morning and managed to take a short video of one of the drills. Thought I'd post it for some constructive criticism. 

In this scenario there are four bad guys in various states of readiness: one has an AR, but it's pointed at the sky. One has a revolver pointed in my direction but not looking down the sights. One is holding an Uzi at the hip vaguely pointed in my direction but at a downangle. And finally one is pointing a glock at me and is looking down the sights. 

The BGs were numbered, but out of order from left to right. 1 and 3 were in the middle, 2 and 4 were on the outside. The drill required the shooter to decide which BGs were the most immediately dangerous, and shoot in that order. Each BG required one 'effective' torso shot (a smaller version of COM, as some BGs were using cover, and some were just in profile, which made the torso area much narrower). Some BGs were 'peeking' from behind a 'wall,' making good hits more difficult. 

Last shot was a cranial-ocular, as one BG was apparently wearing body armor and got back up. Video is about 38 seconds.

https://youtu.be/S0_3EXHxgqY

Hope you enjoy the video, and again I'd appreciate any and all critiques.  Thanks for your replies in advance.

Edited by ranger99
  • Like 2

Instead of jumping around trying to guess which guy is the most urgent threat, just shoot them all, as fast as possible, while fleeing off the x.

Left to right is as go as any, and much faster than #3, the #1, then over to #4, then back to #2 or whatever. Hold you camera sideways for landscape mode.

• Like 1

I see what you're saying.  However, that wasn't the drill.  In fact, the shortest possible time wasn't part of the drill either.  The drill was to try to assess which BG posed the most immediate threat, which in this case was pretty easy; it was the BG pointing the gun right at me with her eye right behind the sights.  After that it kind of a toss up between "Uzi Guy" and "Revolver Guy," since both were pointing their guns in my general direction but not aiming at me.  "AR Girl" was the least threatening since she was turned away from me with her rifle pointed at the sky.

Anyway, the idea was to imagine the BGs weren't static; that they were actually advancing on the shooter, basically in motion.  that made Glock girl the most immediate threat, as she was already using her sights and pointing at me.

After putting a single round in the COM zone of each BG, I was supposed to step off line, and do a scan over both shoulders (i initially forgot this part, which is why it took me so long to step off).  Then the instructor might/might not call out a number indicating one of your BGs got back into the fight, requiring a head shot.

This drill was supposed to teach us how to assess then execute a plan of action, do it quickly but not spray rounds (innocents might be behind BGs), step off-line after the initial shooting, and finally execute a head shot if necessary.

In an earlier drill the BGs were all standard silhouettes, so we could run the drill much faster, but in this one, only one of the BGs was squared up to the shooter.  All the other ones were either in profile or 'peeking' out from behind a wall, or one that was leaning out from a 'wall' in kind of a weaver stance.  This made the critical torso hit zones much smaller.  One of the 'peekers' was only showing a COM about 3.5 inches wide by 15 inches long.

(you can see an example of one of the 'peekers' to the right of the frame)

Anyway, the second time through I was several seconds faster, though on the head shot I only 'skimmed' the cranial-ocular zone, so I had to fire a second round there.

Much thanks for the reply.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand the survival skill that drill is building.

I have a drill where we move immediately off the x and toward cover while getting hits.

This drill has you getting shot because I see no movement and we do on the street what is practiced on the flat range.

Building tactical shooting skills is a block by block approach.

best time spent is getting a smooth and quick presentation onto the target  with accurate shots step 1

, then add movement step 2

then add multiple targets. step 3

you then will see the training progression and it will make sense.

good luck in your training

• 8 months later...

situational awareness should be priority. I agree that assessing which “threat is more deadly” is a strange drill to be practicing. If you’re caught in the open vs. 4 armed threats, yikes. If they’re “coming at you” get off the “x” or “train tracks”.